Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Crunchy Black posted:

The difference in Canadian and US bureaucracy will never cease to amaze me

Bear in mind that almost all of our automotive safety laws are literally written as “see US MVSS Section x subsection y” - the only thing the federal inspection did was verify the Canada-specific things (daytime running lights, km speedo / odo) and that the lighting hadn’t been modified to non-DOT lenses or integrated signals. The certification decal is the thing that verifies it was a US-market vehicle, so without one there’s a need to verify otherwise.

Hilariously though (I just realized this), we didn’t know the manufacturing date of the bike, and that’s one of the fields in the form. The inspector asked if I could “call Ducati” to ask them to look it up based on VIN. I thought this was hilarious, but remembered that the Ducati North America rep who sent me the letter of conformance had his phone number in his email signature, so I figured what the hell? And called.

He picked up, first ring. Is polite, remembers me from July email exchange, looks up the date and tells me “May 18th, 2004”. Awesome! I have a chuckle with the inspector and we put that in the form, le voila.

I was telling my wife this just now and realized as I said it that when we crossed the border on July 15th, the bike was more than 15 years old so it was exempt from this entire process. :lol:

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy hell. :lol:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

HandlingByJebus posted:

the bike was more than 15 years old so it was exempt from this entire process. :lol:

:suicide:

Comedy gold.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That... that... that's beautiful. At least it's over, two separate ways!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

HandlingByJebus posted:

I was telling my wife this just now and realized as I said it that when we crossed the border on July 15th, the bike was more than 15 years old so it was exempt from this entire process. :lol:

It wouldn't be an Italian bike story if you didn't somehow get your comeuppance.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It wouldn't be an Italian bike story if you didn't somehow get your comeuppance.

I’m currently like $3,500 into a $1,000 basket case Ducati that in factory fresh condition might be worth $4,000 today. And it still isn’t rideable, needs to be stripped so I can have the frame painted, body panels don’t match so need stripping and painting, and the tank is dented. And it needs new tires. And I’m pretty sure the transmission output shaft is bent from the chain break that hosed up the engine casing. :sigh:

What else do you want from me, Italian bike gods??? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED????

:derp:

(Which, of course, is only to say: oh yeah, you’re 100% right on that one)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was going to ask how you like that bike, but it sounds like you've never been able to ride it?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I was going to ask how you like that bike, but it sounds like you've never been able to ride it?

Yup.

I loving hate that bike.

But I will love it or I will die trying.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

So, uh. I have obviously been in a pretty dark pit for the last year, and haven't worked on the car. I am really hoping to pick it back up soon, but I'm not going to be making updates in a forum where admins / owners physically assault their partners or think it's reasonable to post global stickies with fuckin goatse as the background. gently caress every part of all of that.

I've been shadowing this thread with one over on zpost since around six months in. Follow there if you're interested, otherwise hope to see y'all in the various alt.ai places. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind to everyone. Black lives matter. Wear a loving mask. Build cool poo poo, drive fast, die later.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

HandlingByJebus posted:

So, uh. I have obviously been in a pretty dark pit for the last year, and haven't worked on the car. I am really hoping to pick it back up soon, but I'm not going to be making updates in a forum where admins / owners physically assault their partners or think it's reasonable to post global stickies with fuckin goatse as the background. gently caress every part of all of that.

I've been shadowing this thread with one over on zpost since around six months in. Follow there if you're interested, otherwise hope to see y'all in the various alt.ai places. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind to everyone. Black lives matter. Wear a loving mask. Build cool poo poo, drive fast, die later.

Love what you’ve shared on this adventure. Happy to learn the journey will continue. See ya on the’post. :airquote:

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Thank you Jebus. Registering on zpost so I can keep following. Godspeed!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

HandlingByJebus posted:

Build cool poo poo, drive fast, die later.
Hell yeah. I'll give your thread a follow over on zpost.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

HandlingByJebus posted:

I certainly understand what you are saying but Something Awful was... pretty freaking awful in the beginning.

I can't stand the 'post' forums, but will see if I can follow you there. I've been a part of SpoolStreet forums and really like the community there; lots of Z4 members as well.

Take care :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Sad to see you go. I perhaps share a chuckle that goatse was the final straw. (Since being hopefully divorced from Lowtax.)

Signed up and subscribed at the new place. Hope whatever in your life has been keeping your down gets behind you soon. :toot: