Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
These days he'll pretty much only talk about aero if you're paying him.

But I do have a few things on my google drive I can share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My question is. What's the aero limit for a crazy lumpy mad track? TA cars are basically made for glsss circuits. Wouldn't work on the ring would it?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Bape Culture posted:

My question is. What's the aero limit for a crazy lumpy mad track? TA cars are basically made for glsss circuits. Wouldn't work on the ring would it?

Depends on how you're making it? In IMSA GTP over here in the 90s, for stuff at temporary street circuits they'd screw all the downforce they could onto the things. Doesn't work as well if you're limited to methods that are really ride height sensitive though, but not everything is.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If we were to say, take that Subaru to the ring I would raise the ride height like 1/2 - 3/4" and call it good (well, maybe a couple of other small changes). It has good dampers (jrz 3-way) and reasonable spring rates. Only problem is it probably wouldn't make it a whole lap without overheating or blowing up or breaking something.

I think the current really high downforce wtac pro-cars would have more of an issue because the springs need to be very stiff to support the aero, and even they are compromising at turn 1 to be faster everywhere else. Watch how they are dragging the splitter on the ground (downforce drops off pretty sharply when you do this) and are all over the place through there. I think it could still work, but you would have to raise the ride height and go with softer springs for sure, and maybe that would mean toning down wing angles and pulling off some small front end aero devices.

And there is definitely a trade off between speed and downforce depending on the track. At the recent HKS speed ring event at the cal speedway roval it was very close between lyfe motorsports, which is a huge downforce AMB aero car, and then the HKS gtr, which mostly just has a lot of power. HKS was doing like 190 on the front straight and lyfe was in the 170 range then had to make it up on the rest of the course. They did, but only won by under a second.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 22, 2016

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'm waiting for people in time attack to dust off the Penske hydraulic 3rd spring setups.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I did have an idea to put upper a-arms on a subaru front back in the day. I suppose instead of that you could just add a pushrod to the lower strut mount, and run that to rockers that activate a 3rd spring along the top of the firewall.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, I keep thinking of cutting up the GC in my field and converting to wishbones on all 4 corners. That and a less lovely Subaru engine than the EJ.

The hydraulic 3rd springs would actually be pretty easy to implement though - they were originally created because of stuff like the Ferrari 333 where a real 3rd spring simply couldn't be added.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

jamal posted:

These days he'll pretty much only talk about aero if you're paying him.

But I do have a few things on my google drive I can share.

I missed this post previously. Please, please share. :)

geeteeslow
Apr 23, 2007
gangsta crizzabs
Following this thread closely; HandlingbyJebus, you are literally doing God's work here.

I just have to translate this knowledge into what would apply for a Z4 3.0Si coupe application.

Keep up the bad-rear end work!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

geeteeslow posted:

Following this thread closely; HandlingbyJebus, you are literally doing God's work here.

I just have to translate this knowledge into what would apply for a Z4 3.0Si coupe application.

Keep up the bad-rear end work!

Thanks man! That's a good-looking coupe, yourself.

Updates:

Lift is installed. It's been busy with the Fit commuting beater I bought, but Z4M should be on it for splitter / brake caliper install soon. VANOS repair parts inbound along with cam alignment tools, cams going in mid-Feb along with new cam gears / bolts, Beisan oil pump disc, and de-noised VANOS bits. Working on a tune with Evolve; hope to be ordering raw bits for the exhaust system next week or so.

I've decided to have Evolve code out O2 sensors completely and delete the cats. The car is primarily for track use, not like I'll be commuting in it, so I don't feel like a smog monster doing this. That's why I bought the Fit!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Thread delivers on why I still like the look and idea of one day (probably never) owning a Z4M Coupe. Also likely why I'm now eye balling the MX-5 FS

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Welp, I'm behind schedule. Big fuckin' surprise, right?

Oh well. Finally made some progress this afternoon. It is not easy to get the Z4M on the lift; I have to get it into place, then use a floor jack to lift it enough to get the lift arms under it. Realized today that the car is missing one of the stock jack points (gently caress!) so ordered a replacement.

Installed new air setup:

This makes me very happy. The compressor is very quiet, and kicked on exactly once tonight. Having a hose reel next to the lift is even better. Just a nice little workflow improvement.

Installed the 996 Brembos in the front:

:hellyeah:

I think this is how the braking system should have come from the factory, but maybe that's just me.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

HandlingByJebus posted:

IIt is not easy to get the Z4M on the lift; I have to get it into place, then use a floor jack to lift it enough to get the lift arms under it.
Can you put a bit of wood in front of each wheel then drive onto them to give yourself 2" more clearance?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Trying to position and then drive onto 4 pieces of wood without them just sliding forward or getting spit out backward is kind of hard. Just jacking the rear up will usually do it with low cars but occasionally I have had to drive the front on to low ramps as well. Of the stuff I've worked on lowered GTRs were generally the worst, but at least they have a convenient rear jack point.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 26, 2017

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
4 pieces of wood is doable on asphalt, but I doubt it would be on concrete without some sort of gripping surface on the bottom of the wood.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Crustashio posted:

4 pieces of wood is doable on asphalt, but I doubt it would be on concrete without some sort of gripping surface on the bottom of the wood.

Perhaps if the same car will be being lifted often by the same lift, bolting the wood to the floor may be worthwhile (and potentially create a dangerous trip hazard as well!)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

A buddy with a lowered 993 and the same lift put 1" plywood down permanently, under the whole lift area, and another 1/2" where the car's wheels go. I'll probably do the same, because among other things that gives me a target for where the car goes in order to be lifted. I've got about 5cm squares that the contact patches need to be in to get all four arms under the jack points - it's a relatively wide car with a short wheelbase, after all.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Rears are installed. The normal brake lines won't work on the back, unfortunately, so I ordered the front/rear line kit from RallyRoad and left myself a note, just in case.

I love seeing this car on the lift.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Looking good dude! 😎🤠

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Crustashio posted:

I do it on concrete fine. Drive to approx location, poke 2x8s under front wheels, edge forward. To be fair, I'm not sure I've ever tried it on the back wheels (rwd) as the jack fits there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cut out to shape and stick a piece of that stuff they sell to line toolbox drawers with under the wood ramps to stop the sliding.

HandlingByJebus posted:

Welp, I'm behind schedule. Big fuckin' surprise, right?
Isn't this how all projects go? I'm way behind schedule too, wanted the engine mounted and fired by the end of March...still waiting on mounts.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Being behind schedule actually owns because that's before realising all the stuff you've done has ruined x, y and z and will all need to be replaced at a huge cost and that cars actually suck rear end haha

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Bape Culture posted:

Being behind schedule actually owns because that's before realising all the stuff you've done has ruined x, y and z and will all need to be replaced at a huge cost and that cars actually suck rear end haha

Cars are literally the worst.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Ran out of brake fluid bleeding the brakes today. Thank goodness for vacuum, because there was a lot of air in the system. Sitting without brake lines for a couple of weeks...

Ordered 2L of Castrol SRF to re-do the flush and get dat firm-rear end pedal because why the gently caress not? And because racecar.

Bleeding one of the rears:

Fronts feel kind of small to me:

Bleeding both sides of the monoblocs is weird, but I cannot wait to feel the pedal on the track.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What magic are you using to bleed them? I have to do all 4 corners soonish and making poo poo easy is not a bad thing.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What magic are you using to bleed them? I have to do all 4 corners soonish and making poo poo easy is not a bad thing.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Just a vacuum extractor with a brake bleeder adapter.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I'm the Monoprice tie-wraps.

(I was like "WHERE THE gently caress HAVE I SEEN THAT BLACK FUZZY THING?!")

E: let the your mom jokes begin

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Dannywilson posted:

I'm the Monoprice tie-wraps.

(I was like "WHERE THE gently caress HAVE I SEEN THAT BLACK FUZZY THING?!")

E: let the your mom jokes begin

Yup. I put that poo poo on everything.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Ok, no photo update.

New brakes are awesome. Everybody with a Z4M needs to do this upgrade.

I got nervous about the extra power and ordered the ARP head stud kit, ARP rod bolt kit, and Bimmerworld's race conrod bearing kit / EGR block plate / stainless clutch line. Having signed myself up for this extra work, I also chickened out on building the exhaust myself and ordered Supersprint sections 1, 2, and race backboxes from Turner. And solid aluminum engine / trans mounts.

I also renewed my tabs (including emissions test) so I can get on with the real work now. Next step: tearing everything out of the engine bay to get exhaust headers installed, VANOS rebuilt, cams installed, head studs installed.. and then figuring out what I need to pull from the front subframe to get at the rod big ends with the engine in the car. I am not pulling this loving engine to do the rod bearings. I can run the car without the CSL airbox / exhaust for the June 8th track day I've got booked, and then install the airbox / exhaust and do a tune prior to the August 10th day I have booked next.

I have high hopes for all of this. Especially that the updated bearings / bolts / head studs will help this engine live longer under the kind of abuse I intend to give it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've got a hf engine support bar that you are welcome to borrow

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

I've got a hf engine support bar that you are welcome to borrow

Thanks dude, I may take you up on that.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Alright! It's the weekend of my wrenchcation (I booked Friday / Tuesday off so I had five days straight to do all the stuff; I have dyno time booked on Tuesday), and I've been kicking rear end and taking namesgetting my rear end kicked by the car, but have finally started making real progress.

Here are some photos and narrative for your amusement.

Roadkill-style list! And it's grown a bunch, unsurprisingly.

Engine support for when the subframe drops out the bottom. This was done a long time before it had to bear any weight.

Target of opportunity: pulled the exhaust headers while I was mulling over how to deal with the subframe and balljoints. Getting at a few of the bottom nuts on these is loving awful and made me want to throw a wrench across the room more than once.

Finally just said "gently caress it" and pulled the subframe with the control arms and steering rack attached. It's not as heavy as I feared, but heavier than I'd hoped. Unfortunately I hosed up a couple of the balljoint boots trying to separate the control arms and tierods, and it seems that nobody sells BMW balljoints or balljoint boots by themselves. So, goddammit, looks like I'm ordering like $800 worth of parts to replace $3 worth of rubber boots. I'm pretty pissed about that.

Finally the oilpan is exposed!

Guts. The oil pump needs to come out before the rods are accessible.

Set up for bearing / bolt replacement! Fun fact: the ARP rod bolt package was labeled with M10. They're 12-point M11s. Thank goodness for parts stores that carry somewhat esoteric tools.

Art shot of one of the conrods, highlighting an interesting peculiarity of their manufacture: they're forged as single units, and then split to create the cap / rod separation. It means that each rod is unique, caps aren't interchangeable, and are also directional. The colour of the crank doesn't come through in this photo, it's a really lovely deep blue.

Finally, the bearing shells that came out. Lots of copper showing there, very glad I decided to do this work when I did.

So: two days in, the rod bearings / bolts are swapped out. I have two days to do the VANOS rebuild, cam / rocker swap, exhaust, etc... it's possible, but I think I'm probably going to spend Tuesday buttoning up the car instead of dynoing it.

Whee!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Well, bolts are defined by their thread size, not their head size. So an M10 bolt can have any number of head sizes and configurations, and still be M10. So I wouldn't lose sleep over that. Plus, aren't ARP bolts usually 12-point?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

For the torn boots see if there's a rebuild kit for whatever you tore the boots on. I was able do this for the torn boots on the E21 rear axles instead of trying to track down NLA axles.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Raluek posted:

Well, bolts are defined by their thread size, not their head size. So an M10 bolt can have any number of head sizes and configurations, and still be M10. So I wouldn't lose sleep over that. Plus, aren't ARP bolts usually 12-point?

Oh, loving duh. Of course. I somehow gapped and read it as "10mm 12-point". :downs:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

For the torn boots see if there's a rebuild kit for whatever you tore the boots on. I was able do this for the torn boots on the E21 rear axles instead of trying to track down NLA axles.

I've called around with no luck, but I'll look closer once everything else is done. Worst-case I'll drive it with torn boots (or do a bodge fix with glue and plastic) for a bit and replace the tierod ends / control arms a bit later. It at least won't completely die if I drive it that way to the dyno; June 6th track time is looking unlikely tho :smith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think i'll be at the ridge on june 9th with turn2

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Did Z4M's have a rod bearing recall like the regualar M3? Or did they come from the factory with whatever solution BMW does for the recall?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Like the Z3M they just pretended it wasnt an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

BraveUlysses posted:

i think i'll be at the ridge on june 9th with turn2

Samesies. Haven't registered yet because I have a track day and opportunity for failure June 2nd at Portland. Hopefully there will be registration still open June 3rd. Been over 2 years since I been on track. I'll be in a junky evo.