Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not much there about economic justice and wealth inequality. I'd grill 'em on that, ask what they'll do to help people economically and figure out if they're neoliberal scum or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Not much there about economic justice and wealth inequality. I'd grill 'em on that, ask what they'll do to help people economically and figure out if they're neoliberal scum or what.
That's the plan!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
You should also grill him on obstructing the Republicans. One of the most important things we need to do right now is to radicalize Dems Tea Party-style by pressuring against "compromise" with Trump.

(btw, the link in your post is broken for me)

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

(btw, the link in your post is broken for me)
Thanks for the heads up! Should be fixed now, both here an in the first post:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-road-ahead-tickets-30466452981

If that doesn't work, you can access it from Beyer's page: http://beyer.house.gov/

and the text in case everything is just hosed:

quote:

Many of you have been in touch with my office recently, calling with anxiety over next steps for our nation and how we will work to bridge the great divisions that exist in our rich and complex country.

This is a conversation I hope to contribute to by asking you to join me on January 16th for its first chapter. We will convene at Arlington's Wakefield High School at 6:30 PM on Martin Luther King Day to discuss the pressing isues before us: health care, immigration, climate change, gun safety, civil rights and civil liberties, our country's role in the world, and more.

Joining us at Wakefield will be a number of issue advocates to offer their thoughts on the road from here. You will have the opportunity to interact with them and witha number of organizations doing wonderful work in Northern Virginia and at a national level.

Date and Time

Mon, January 16, 2017

6:30 PM – 8:00 PM EST

Wakefield High School

1325 South Dinwiddie Street

Arlington, VA 22206

Grey Fox has issued a correction as of 03:46 on Dec 21, 2016

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
looking on the OP, and i dont see any mississippi/north carolina/new orleans/tennessee goons listed

we need to be everywhere, guys :smith:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Grey Fox posted:

Crossposting from the Dem thread:

I genuinely have no idea how useful this Northern VA session with Congressman Beyer will be, but I figure it's a starting point, so I'll be there.

Use it as an opportunity to hook up with other people with similar concerns. Take note of who asks good questions, and approach them afterwards and talk about how something must be done, especially if Beyer turns out to be neoliberal scum. Because then you need to start getting involved in primarying the guy ASAP.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Race Realists posted:

looking on the OP, and i dont see any mississippi/north carolina/new orleans/tennessee goons listed

There's more goons involved than have asked to be added to the OP, I've been contacted by someone in North Carolina at least.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Use it as an opportunity to hook up with other people with similar concerns. Take note of who asks good questions, and approach them afterwards and talk about how something must be done, especially if Beyer turns out to be neoliberal scum. Because then you need to start getting involved in primarying the guy ASAP.
I appreciate the advice. I'm also trying to convince my dad, a long-retired former Senate staffer to join me, but he's kind of checked out of politics these days because they depress him.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Race Realists posted:

Veyrall in the DND Effective Leftism thread is trying to organize in Mississippi. The link should probably go in the OP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798064

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grey Fox posted:

Crossposting from the Dem thread:

I genuinely have no idea how useful this Northern VA session with Congressman Beyer will be, but I figure it's a starting point, so I'll be there.

There's a lot you can do here. Find his staff too. There's going to be a bunch of people who come to every meeting like this, they're tuned into stuff. Figure out who they are. This is a great place to meet people who are engaged.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Hey, as long as you guys are talking about what to do in Virginia, reminder that Cheryl Turpin is running in the special election for the 85th District of VA and is in a close-but-winnable race, please send her your power and your volunteering.

All she's got is a facebook page and a hype man, let's do the work.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

pathetic little tramp posted:

Got an email from the local young dems organizer in the KY, lol at the ineptitude:

FYI, this was the status of the King's County DNC website as of 2012. It's been fixed now, and honestly it was a huge win. It's also not ineptitude, it is malice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

FYI, this was the status of the King's County DNC website as of 2012. It's been fixed now, and honestly it was a huge win. It's also not ineptitude, it is malice.

it is absolutely malice. anything and everything can be a political tool, and must be taken as such. trust no one.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
So they finally listed my candidacy on the CA Dem district delegate page. Turns out I actually have ~15 competitors for these 7 seats. My girlfriend is in a similar situation. So much for a low-effort power grab!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

So they finally listed my candidacy on the CA Dem district delegate page. Turns out I actually have ~15 competitors for these 7 seats. My girlfriend is in a similar situation. So much for a low-effort power grab!

Try to get in contact with other candidates who seem progressive. If you're one of the friends a candidate has convinced to show up to view for then, on an individual level, it's best to only vote for the friend since they just take the 7 highest vote getters. If you can agree to have all your friends vote for people on a list, you increase your chances dramatically. You'll probably have even more luck cross gender, since voting for a woman won't hurt your male friend and vice versa.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lemming posted:

Try to get in contact with other candidates who seem progressive. If you're one of the friends a candidate has convinced to show up to view for then, on an individual level, it's best to only vote for the friend since they just take the 7 highest vote getters. If you can agree to have all your friends vote for people on a list, you increase your chances dramatically. You'll probably have even more luck cross gender, since voting for a woman won't hurt your male friend and vice versa.

This is good advice and how NKD ended up grabbing about 200 out of the ~1300 seats up for grabs this year.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a lot you can do here. Find his staff too. There's going to be a bunch of people who come to every meeting like this, they're tuned into stuff. Figure out who they are. This is a great place to meet people who are engaged.

The folks who go to every meeting like that aren't tuned in, they're the loving kooks, ambitious, or a tracker.

Its like attending school board meetings. Unless you intend to run, you probably there to use your 3 minutes to complain about birds on public access tv.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

My Imaginary GF posted:

The folks who go to every meeting like that aren't tuned in, they're the loving kooks, ambitious, or a tracker.

Its like attending school board meetings. Unless you intend to run, you probably there to use your 3 minutes to complain about birds on public access tv.

I guess you've got to get a feeling for the meeting.

It's probably a good chunk of normal people, kooks, etc. but there are going to be a few people who know what they're doing, even if they're just the campaign staff or friends of the politician.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dems should probably just run as Republicans at this point. It will break up the tribalism and make people think a bit about what positions they want represented instead.

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force
I went to the Clark County (Las Vegas) Young Democrats club meeting last week. The event organization was kind of a mess--they had only settled on a location two days before the meeting and moved the time from 7 to 5:45 pm on a weekday, guaranteeing anyone outside of college wouldn't make it discounting losers like me.

The meeting was just five really tired-looking dudes, sitting in a Coffee Bean, going over the agenda for the club itself. Club elections in January, some collaborations with other Dem clubs in the city, some upcoming seminars and events, etc. There was a real air of uncertainty for the future of the club itself, since there were more seats up for election than people in the room. I offered to take over managing the club Facebook, since I'm planning on moving to LA in a few months and I can't commit to an actual position in the staff.

So yeah, kinda depressing! On the upside, the guys all seemed pretty cognizant of the current state of the party, though their focus was more local (as it should be), and there thankfully wasn't any Democrats! style neolib/berniecrat infighting. One guy mentioned another progressive club forming that contained all the outrage I've been looking for, and another said the Asian-Pacific Islander Dem Caucus was active (and has food at their meetings), so those are good leads.

The past couple weeks have been kinda tiring with regards to getting involved. None of the other clubs in town appear to be meeting until after the inauguration, and the only big one I know of is a self-congratulatory luncheon with a $125 buy-in. Granted, Nevada turned blue this last cycle so that's worth celebrating, but it only did so by riding the culinary union's wave, and the union made a strategic decision supporting Hills over Bernie. I'm worried this might mean we've set ourselves up for a complacent neolib environment here. I was a delegate at the county convention back in July(?), and that was a bit of a clusterfuck, so I don't have much faith in the sitting establishment.

Wrote an email to the millenial DNC elector here to vote Ellison. No response, so I'll probably print it out and mail it after the holidays.

I might just go straight to the culinary union HQ next week. I'm a five figgy yospos bicth though so I'm not sure what I can offer but we'll see.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing that might surprise people is that there isn't that much discussion of politics. People generally agree so they focus on business. Get some beers afterwards if you want to rant.

Good job on connecting with a local group!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Trip report: tried to attend a city club meeting (last one was scheduled for ON thanksgiving evening. Somehow, I doubt it was held). Went to the church on MLK blvd and a lady asks me if she can help me since she was walking in. I asked if the meeting was over already (was 15 min late due to traffic) and she was confused; she was there for choir practice and didn't know anything about a Dem meeting.

Shocker: I may have been given bad info by the Palm Beach County DP website.

I'll try digging up a contact number tomorrow to see what the skinny is.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed your Christmas, celebrated or not - but remember that come January, politics is going to be getting back active! December is kind of a dead month, but regular party meetings resume in many places, and the DNC election is coming up so it's a good time to get involved and a better time to stay involved.

If anyone has joined or attended meetings for any Democratic affiliated but not technically Democratic organizations, feel free to talk about them here and what it was like.

--

For those of you in MA, I'd like to organize an in person meetup where we can't rant against things like entrenched politics, Hillary Clinton, and spinelessness in the face of the oncoming Republican Terror among "friends".

It would be happening... late January, early February, probably somewhere that serves alcohol.

--

Finally, anyone who still needs info, or who I missed on getting back to or whatever, please ping me again so I can figure out what's going on.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Dec 26, 2016

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Why should I get involved in a party that rejected my entire generation's choice in favor of The Bad Candidate?

gently caress THE DNC
gently caress THE RNC

I hope ISIS kills a gently caress ton of our representatives including Trump in TYOOL 2017

shalom
inshallah
god bless
happy new year

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Going out tomorrow to vote in a special election to replace my state senator who passed in September from Brain Tumors. Either way it goes Republicans will control the house, senate, and governorship in Iowa for the first time in... longer than my lifespan, anyways. But the special election promises to be low turnout due to the timing (2 days after Christmas, lol) so there is a good chance that the otherwise very safe dem seat is lost on that alone.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

GlyphGryph posted:

Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed your Christmas, celebrated or not - but remember that come January, politics is going to be getting back active! December is kind of a dead month, but regular party meetings resume in many places, and the DNC election is coming up so it's a good time to get involved and a better time to stay involved.

If anyone has joined or attended meetings for any Democratic affiliated but not technically Democratic organizations, feel free to talk about them here and what it was like.

--

For those of you in MA, I'd like to organize an in person meetup where we can't rant against things like entrenched politics, Hillary Clinton, and spinelessness in the face of the oncoming Republican Terror among "friends".

It would be happening... late January, early February, probably somewhere that serves alcohol.

--

Finally, anyone who still needs info, or who I missed on getting back to or whatever, please ping me again so I can figure out what's going on.

I'm in Maine and I emailed my state coordinator, but I haven't heard anything back yet. It was a few weeks ago, but one of those weeks was Christmas break for a lot of people, so I'm not too concerned yet. I just emailed someone from the list that someone posted earlier. Is there anything more specific I should do?

BTW, If there's any Maine goons getting together on their own, I'd be interested in a meetup similar to what GlyphGryph described for MA goons.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

So trying to get involved up here in Buffalo seems to be kind of a shitshow. As far as I can tell, the local organization is the Erie County Democrats. Their website is a facebook feed + a big READY FOR HILLARY banner. Membership- as far as I can tell, which is limited- appears to be gated behind a 52$ yearly fee, which whatever, I've donated, because I got money. When you sign up, you can choose which committees you'd like to be considered for. I put a number of them, and then sent an email to the listed county chair asking for more details about what exactly each committee does and when they meet. I've got nothing back as a reply but "Thanks, look forward to meeting you!" and literally nothing else from the entire county party in the last month (I did all this in the days after the election). The absolute only thing I can find is a christmas party on Monday with a 50$ admission fee. I'm considering going out of sheer desperation that otherwise I may never actually meet any of these people. :v:

This poo poo is kind of frustrating. I also put myself in as a volunteer literally 'wherever you might need people'. I have money to donate! I have time to volunteer! Let me help you!

Did you end up going to that holiday party? I did not have 50 dollars to spend on the offchance I would meet someone who would do something

(ECDEMS.COM CHECK: STILL READY FOR HILLARY)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, I'm just waiting to hear back from Arbitrary at this point--he'd let me know this might take a bit to get back to me.

I work slightly odd hours, though, so I'm hoping that these meetings will be on the weekends. It may be quite difficult on weeknights. :ohdear:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Next local Democatic Town Committee meeting is planned for "mid-January". Really would prefer a bit more information than that, guys!

Also going to be attending my first town meeting on January 9th. Unless I decide to go to the local DSA meeting instead I guess, since I feel like I should at least check them out even if I don't think I'll join them.

For anyone interested:

quote:

Monday, January 9, 2017
6:00pm

DSA General Meeting
When
Mon, January 9, 2017, 6pm – 8pm
Where
Encuentro 5, 9A Hamilton Place, Boston, MA, United States (map)
Description
Please join us for our next general membership meeting. All are welcome, including folks who aren't members yet but are interested in learning more. We will talk about our recent and upcoming chapter work, have a short activist training and answer any questions new and potential members have about what DSA and what we do. If you're looking to get plugged into crucial fights to stop Trump's racist, sexist and anti-immigrant agenda, win important gains to help working people and start building a powerful progressive electoral alternative in MA, this is the place for you! Hope to see you there, and please bring friends!

Beyond them having some vague association with Mass Alliance, I don't really have any idea what they actually do though

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Dec 28, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Apparently Keith has asked that people NOT contact DNC members.

So, uh - stop doing that, I guess!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a good idea considering how pathetic previous democrat attempts at swaying electors were

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

better delete my post from your website lol

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Zikan posted:

better delete my post from your website lol

Literally doing it now, haha. Although I'm pretty sure no one is ever going to look at it again.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Well, the democratic candidate won the special election for the state senate seat yesterday by a 3-1 margin. Republicans still control the house, senate, and gov in Iowa, but the senate margin just got a tad smaller.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Why

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

From what I understand it's a combination of "they got the message" and "you motherfuckers are gonna ruin this for me by sending lovely harassment to the folks whose votes I need".

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Oh. This makes sense.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GlyphGryph posted:

From what I understand it's a combination of "they got the message" and "you motherfuckers are gonna ruin this for me by sending lovely harassment to the folks whose votes I need".

Good on Keith. The measure of a leader is not only if he can tell his followers to speak out, but also if he can tell them to shut the hell up.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
where did he say this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

https://keithfordnc.org/howyoucanhelp

Its been added as a note to that page on his site, at least

it also comes with suggestions for other things you SHOULD be doing so its good to post anyway, thanks for prompting me too

• Locked thread