Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just a reminder that consolidated elections are TOMORROW for the state of Illinois, so if you live there, GET YOUR rear end TO THE POLLS (I assume I don't have to tell anyone to register, you should all already be registered or lol why are you in this thread).

Google your county to find out what's on your ballot and try and find voter's guides, check local newspapers to see who they endorse and why, blogs and such will also do endorsements/voter guides if your local paper sucks. To see where you are registered you can check your county clerk's website, google <county name> county clerk illinois and put in your address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Oh hey, so Kansas is having a special election on Tuesday to replace Trump's CIA director pick Pompeo. Theres a Democrat running in a super red district who has been abandoned by the national party but has pulled together a lot of last second crowd funding. The guy is going to lose but sending him a last second burst of cash would show that people at least vaguely care about the hellhole that is Kansas. I have family trapped in Kansas who are at the mercy of the state, so I kicked in $100 and will spend some time phone banking tomorrow. If anyone else wants to kick in that'd be great.

Dude isn't perfect on the issues but he's better than his opponent!

http://www.votejamesthompson.com/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Not a Step posted:

Theres a Democrat running in a super red district who has been abandoned by the national party
meet the new DNC etc.

his issues platform hits a lot of left-wing economic populist notes (higher minimum wage, lots of poo poo-talking about the 1% and tax havens). i'm a fan

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Apr 10, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so Thompson lost by 6%, which is a good showing in a district that Pompeo won by over 20%. but if the DNC and state party (they gave him a whopping $3000) actually gave a single gently caress about that race, he could have won. dear leader Perez said that they didn't have the money to spend a month after singling out lack of attention to "unwinnable" races a mere month ago

i'm starting to get the feeling that getting involved with the democrats is kind of a waste of time, fellas

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

so Thompson lost by 6%, which is a good showing in a district that Pompeo won by over 20%. but if the DNC and state party (they gave him a whopping $3000) actually gave a single gently caress about that race, he could have won. dear leader Perez said that they didn't have the money to spend a month after singling out lack of attention to "unwinnable" races a mere month ago

i'm starting to get the feeling that getting involved with the democrats is kind of a waste of time, fellas

$20k wouldn't have swung the race one way or another, but I agree it should've been provided. The results in Kansas are encouraging though. The Dems have no business even being in single digits there.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

yeah it seems pretty clear they want bad dems to win and good dems to lose. whoops!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, it was lovely that they didn't support him, but I think the result of the election itself is gonna help get money to way more candidates in "unwinnable" districts in 2018.

The Democrats are a stubborn organization that's gonna need to be grabbed by the reins and pulled where you want it to go, and it's gonna be a struggle, much like one may have needed to pull on the reins of say a donkey, back when those were common work animals.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Attention Massachussets residents!

I am part of a group that's working on proposing and pushing changes to the Massachussets Democratic Party Charter. If anyone is interested in jumping on board with this, get on the discord and join the Mass channel!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
On the 23rd of April there will be a livestream broadcast by Our Revolution - a 'state of the revolution' address which will discuss what's been done so far and with news about what will happen in the future. If you're involved with Our Revolution at all, you likely have another source which is already keeping you in the loop; otherwise, you can look for local livestream watch parties from this page:
http://map.ourrevolution.com/#zipcode=&distance=50&sort=time&f%5B%5D=state-of-the-revolution-livestream

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yep! Gonna go to a local livestream party and use it as an opportunity to mingle too.

But man oh man, state party update:
The state party is the state committee. Of it's 418 members, only 160 are elected. Over 100 are "permanent" members that cannot be removed in any way and are guaranteed seats, and that number is supposed to increase by a lot this year.

Of those 160, only 80 are actually elected during the normal election process. And when is the normal election process? During the end of the presidential primary season (which they've encoded in state law), where the party can always argue that it's important not to change things too drastically, on an organizational level, immediately before a presidential election.

I get the feeling these folks aren't very open to the idea of changing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Went to a local OurRevolution State of the Revolution livestream viewing party tonight.

It was pretty great, got me excited to keep going. Been dealing with a lot of negativity lately, both from inside and out, so it was great to take a break and focus on some pure positive messaging

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Was at a minor state convention a few days ago, Bernie folks swept it. Best part was when the establishment folks were getting more and more frustrated at their losses and one of then shrieked "sure, you all are pandering to the Bernie crowd, but what about JOE MANCHIN"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

What did you accompliah by sweeping it exactly? We are looking for ideas haha

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

LinYutang posted:

Was at a minor state convention a few days ago, Bernie folks swept it. Best part was when the establishment folks were getting more and more frustrated at their losses and one of then shrieked "sure, you all are pandering to the Bernie crowd, but what about JOE MANCHIN"

unless you guys are having your state convention in west virginia I don't see how joe manchin is your problem

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

To anyone in Boston, wards 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 19, there is apparently a meeting of Greater Boston Young Democrats tonight at 5:30 at 10 Putnam Street, Roxbury to talk about the Democratic platform. I will be there, but I will not be identifying myself in any way so please don't dox me, TIA.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Not a Step posted:

To anyone in Boston, wards 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 19, there is apparently a meeting of Greater Boston Young Democrats tonight at 5:30 at 10 Putnam Street, Roxbury to talk about the Democratic platform. I will be there, but I will not be identifying myself in any way so please don't dox me, TIA.

Can you do me a favour? Let them know one of the delegates/ORMA folks is working on charter amendments and would appreciate anyone interested in helping out. They can contact me at glyphgryph@gmail.com

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Can you do me a favour? Let them know one of the delegates/ORMA folks is working on charter amendments and would appreciate anyone interested in helping out. They can contact me at glyphgryph@gmail.com

As I am very dumb please explain to me how one would 'help out' with a charter amendment.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Too late now I guess, but for future reference I need people willing to:

1) Help review the laws and documentation to search for possible conflicts and other amendment opportunities if it look like we might want to do more than one.
2) Actually pin down the exact wording. Right now it's very rough.
3) And the big labour intensive party - we're going to need people to go out and collect signatures from delegates and try to muster up support

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Trip report: People are pretty enthusiastic about the future and mostly want good things added to the platform, like more emphasis on mental health, student debt relief, covering the 0-3 gap in education, or being more emphatic about single payer and acceptable intermediary steps like a public option. There was one extremely goony guy with a union jacket who shilled some books and advocated for a 6 hour work day to increase employment. Also there was a lady who did two separate anti-nuclear rants and wanted a no nuclear ever plank. Absolutely no one talked about marijuana in any capacity. The crowd was very diverse but trended older, although one 16 year old showed up to advocate for lowering the voting age. An official with the DNC turned up near the end to advocate for higher mandatory percentages of women and minorities on Boston construction projects.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Status report on MA:

poo poo guys, this poo poo is pretty bad. It also looks like we arrived just in time. It's absolutely crazy what's been going on. The state party has spent the last decade and a half changing the rules every single year to lock things down and make it harder for progressives to succeed.

This convention is going to be a huge fight, and I'm incredibly afraid it's one we're going to lose, because this is basically the last chance we have to keep the party even remotely democratic. Holy hell. I wish I could share some of this documentation with you guys but it's all very hush hush - of course, if you're in a non-public channel with me then that changes.

But arrrgh.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hope is a mistake

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Status report on MA:

poo poo guys, this poo poo is pretty bad. It also looks like we arrived just in time. It's absolutely crazy what's been going on. The state party has spent the last decade and a half changing the rules every single year to lock things down and make it harder for progressives to succeed.

This convention is going to be a huge fight, and I'm incredibly afraid it's one we're going to lose, because this is basically the last chance we have to keep the party even remotely democratic. Holy hell. I wish I could share some of this documentation with you guys but it's all very hush hush - of course, if you're in a non-public channel with me then that changes.

But arrrgh.

cool

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I actually organized a meeting tonight.

I had the heads of progressive groups from across the state attend MY meeting that I put together and hosted.

Man I'm all abuzz right now. It feels like despite all the poo poo we've got to overcome that I am really, genuinely part of the solution.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I actually organized a meeting tonight.

I had the heads of progressive groups from across the state attend MY meeting that I put together and hosted.

Man I'm all abuzz right now. It feels like despite all the poo poo we've got to overcome that I am really, genuinely part of the solution.

this is how it begins, next comes the bushy mustache and after that the gulags

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Hey, guys! I'm going to my first local Democratic Party meeting next Monday. Any advice for a "maybe I should get involved???" newbie?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Equeen posted:

Hey, guys! I'm going to my first local Democratic Party meeting next Monday. Any advice for a "maybe I should get involved???" newbie?

Be prepared to hear a lot of weird terms that don't make sense because the people there aren't used to newbies.

If you get there a little early, find out who's running the meeting. Introduce yourself and ask if they can sit you next to someone who is a little more experienced, so that you can keep up with things.

It's​ a bit weird to ask, but if you can make a connection to even one person, you can ask if they'll introduce you to a few people that are regulars or might otherwise be notable.

Most importantly, keep showing up. This is a stamina game.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Be prepared to hear a lot of weird terms that don't make sense because the people there aren't used to newbies.

If you get there a little early, find out who's running the meeting. Introduce yourself and ask if they can sit you next to someone who is a little more experienced, so that you can keep up with things.

It's​ a bit weird to ask, but if you can make a connection to even one person, you can ask if they'll introduce you to a few people that are regulars or might otherwise be notable.

Most importantly, keep showing up. This is a stamina game.

Thanks! I'll keep all of these in mind :)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Barbe Rouge posted:

this is how it begins, next comes the bushy mustache and after that the gulags

Maybe that's why it didn't work last time. Let's build gulags in our garages, backyards and spare rooms. THEN we achieve power, and only after that do we expand our facial hair

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Equeen posted:

Thanks! I'll keep all of these in mind :)

Be prepared to discuss really, really boring stuff.

Our last meeting was dominated by a discussion of our current office space, whether we should move or not, and the pros and cons of both. This was the second meeting I was at about this, and I understand that there were a few I wasn't at, and it'll likely be at least one more before we come to a final decision.

It's pretty important to get right, since this office is where a bunch of the local 2018 campaign stuff will happen, but it's also about as energizing as your average church committee meeting. However, this is the basic blocking and tackling that folks need to do to make sure that things go smoothly in 2018.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm on the board in my district and my agenda gets covered with boredom doodles.

That's why they call it the board, it signifies your mastery of boredom.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Attention:

The war to regain democratic control of the Mass State Democratic Party has begun.

We have less than one month to do a whole lot of loving poo poo. I'll be organizing through the discord. If you have time to send emails, make phone calls, or help in anyway, get your rear end on there and let's get this poo poo done.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I just got an email inviting me to a meeting where we'll be discussing possible candidates to run against Rick Allen, from Georgia's 12 district. Pretty excited to go, and I'm working on roping in other people to come and back me up.

Any suggestions on what to do or questions to ask for the potential candidates who will be there? Anybody been to one of these before and can share some information on how the process works?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm at the California state Dem convention and Tom Perez is yelling right now

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Lemming posted:

I'm at the California state Dem convention and Tom Perez is yelling right now

Good yelling or bad yelling.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

It was good yelling, he was saying things like health care for all. The big issue happening right now in ca is the single payer bill so that was good to hear

He's not an incredible speaker tho

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

reignonyourparade posted:

it's our fault really, we should have listened

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Lemming posted:

He's not an incredible speaker tho

He's really not, and I'm kind of surprised he hasn't gotten better with practice over the last few months, but his politics are pretty okay I think

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
AZ Democratic party is taking a vote on whether or not to endorse the Medicare for all thing tomorrow.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm hoping to bump into my state Senate representative at some point so I can throw a tomato at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Candidates just finished their speeches, I think it's gonna be close for state chair between Kimberly Ellis and Eric Bauman (Kim is progressive/Bernie, Eric establishment). Lots of supporters on either side, Kim's supporters definitely louder and more enthusiastic but numbers were definitely close

• Locked thread