Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

New King's Democrats
i second this post. i'd go to the meeting tomorrow but i got class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Anyone in the thread who's in a red district, tomorrow morning, call your representative's office and tell them that you'll be looking forward to hearing of their principled stand against this bizarre and amoral attempt to defang the Office of Congressional Ethics.
I'm quite sure they don't give a poo poo about what commons schmucks like us have to say.

On the New York end, I'm probably going to the New Kings Democrats policy committee meeting on the 5th. It's in the backroom at a bar in Bushwick off the Morgan Ave. L stop and they're promising a very special guest.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well, I stand corrected on the oversight issue and I'm happy about it.

If any of you are tepid about getting involved in party politics (and I don't blame you if you are), look for local groups focused on an issue. One issue that you should really care about if you're in a big city is affordability, so look for tenant organizations and see how you can get involved. The Crown Heights Tenants Union in Brooklyn is one example, and within the same city there's also the Ridgewood Tenants Union and the Flatbush Tenants Coalition. CHTU meets every third Thursday of each month, the location varies but it's usually at a hospital on Classon Ave. If you're visiting and want to get inspired to start your own tenants organization, feel free to drop in. I'm booked for the next four meetings due to classes but it's definitely worth going to.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Litchfield County, CT goon here.
Godspeed, my friend. That place is ground zero for New England WASPs. Also there are like a billion boarding schools in the county (I went to one of them for two years).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm not going to the NKD meeting tomorrow because I've got a board game night and I haven't participated with my group for a while, but do show up if you're in Brooklyn or are interested in importing a similar group to another borough. Queens already has an NKD-like group, the Bronx is sorely in need of one, and while I don't know anything about the Manhattan Democratic Party, I can't imagine that it's a good situation there.

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 09:33 on Jan 5, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unbutthurtable posted:

Brooklyn has a very active branch of the NYC DSA chapter, and Bronx/Upper Manhattan and Queens are building out branches now. It's not quite the same as NKD/NQD, but I know at least the Brooklyn branch has just formed an electoral committee, so that may be of interest too.
Yeah, I definitely want to get involved with them too. I have a friend who's been in the DSA since college so I can ask her to keep me posted, and they're also hosting an event on further action against an armory that's planned to be turned into expensive apartments with some "affordable" housing units on the 14th.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

people who hate ellison really don't know or care about his moderation on israel/palestine to be the international status quo. that DNC smear campaign certainly did what it was intended to do

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Not a Step posted:

Theres a Democrat running in a super red district who has been abandoned by the national party
meet the new DNC etc.

his issues platform hits a lot of left-wing economic populist notes (higher minimum wage, lots of poo poo-talking about the 1% and tax havens). i'm a fan

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so Thompson lost by 6%, which is a good showing in a district that Pompeo won by over 20%. but if the DNC and state party (they gave him a whopping $3000) actually gave a single gently caress about that race, he could have won. dear leader Perez said that they didn't have the money to spend a month after singling out lack of attention to "unwinnable" races a mere month ago

i'm starting to get the feeling that getting involved with the democrats is kind of a waste of time, fellas

• Locked thread