Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force
I went to the Clark County (Las Vegas) Young Democrats club meeting last week. The event organization was kind of a mess--they had only settled on a location two days before the meeting and moved the time from 7 to 5:45 pm on a weekday, guaranteeing anyone outside of college wouldn't make it discounting losers like me.

The meeting was just five really tired-looking dudes, sitting in a Coffee Bean, going over the agenda for the club itself. Club elections in January, some collaborations with other Dem clubs in the city, some upcoming seminars and events, etc. There was a real air of uncertainty for the future of the club itself, since there were more seats up for election than people in the room. I offered to take over managing the club Facebook, since I'm planning on moving to LA in a few months and I can't commit to an actual position in the staff.

So yeah, kinda depressing! On the upside, the guys all seemed pretty cognizant of the current state of the party, though their focus was more local (as it should be), and there thankfully wasn't any Democrats! style neolib/berniecrat infighting. One guy mentioned another progressive club forming that contained all the outrage I've been looking for, and another said the Asian-Pacific Islander Dem Caucus was active (and has food at their meetings), so those are good leads.

The past couple weeks have been kinda tiring with regards to getting involved. None of the other clubs in town appear to be meeting until after the inauguration, and the only big one I know of is a self-congratulatory luncheon with a $125 buy-in. Granted, Nevada turned blue this last cycle so that's worth celebrating, but it only did so by riding the culinary union's wave, and the union made a strategic decision supporting Hills over Bernie. I'm worried this might mean we've set ourselves up for a complacent neolib environment here. I was a delegate at the county convention back in July(?), and that was a bit of a clusterfuck, so I don't have much faith in the sitting establishment.

Wrote an email to the millenial DNC elector here to vote Ellison. No response, so I'll probably print it out and mail it after the holidays.

I might just go straight to the culinary union HQ next week. I'm a five figgy yospos bicth though so I'm not sure what I can offer but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force
Went to the Nevada Clark County Dem Central Committee meeting last night, at the behest of one of the Bernie superdelegates here in town. The crowd was pretty huge, at with least 300 people, almost a third of which were younger bernouts. You could tell the existing members were a little disconcerted.

This was the meeting where people could sign up to be on the committee, which basically votes on how the party spends its resources in the county. Usually there's not enough people in attendance to fill out all the seats, but last night we mobbed them.

• Locked thread