Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Trip report: tried to attend a city club meeting (last one was scheduled for ON thanksgiving evening. Somehow, I doubt it was held). Went to the church on MLK blvd and a lady asks me if she can help me since she was walking in. I asked if the meeting was over already (was 15 min late due to traffic) and she was confused; she was there for choir practice and didn't know anything about a Dem meeting.

Shocker: I may have been given bad info by the Palm Beach County DP website.

I'll try digging up a contact number tomorrow to see what the skinny is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
South Florida goons--monthly DEC meeting for Palm Beach County will be this thursday (the 5th) from 7-9 PM at the South County Civic Center on Jog Rd.

Also, the FDP chair election is on the 14th in Orlando, but on the 11th the candidates will be speaking down here:
FDP Chair Candidate Forum Wednesday, January 11, 6 PM to 8 PM
Event is taking place at CWA Local 3104's union hall, located at 3121 W McNab Rd, Pompano Beach, Florida 33069. Every four years, Florida Democrats elect a new Chair to lead the party. All declared candidates have been invited to speak and answer questions: Stephen Bittel, Dwight Bullard, Leah Carius, Alan Clendenin, and Lisa King.

I have no idea who any of these people are or if any of them are not clueless fucksticks. So if you have an issue you want to ask about from the future head of the Florida party, now would be an opportune time.

Edit: On re-read, they're all invited, but no idea if they'll all come.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

What exactly do precinct chairs/captains do? Not opposed to jumping in but I'm not gonna pull a Trump and sign up for a job I have no clue about.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Trip report: went to the Palm Beach DEC meeting.
Roughly 150-200 people there. Inducting new precinct people, congratulating on the county-wide wins. From the speeches it sounds like PBC is one of the healthier and active DECs in the whole state, which isn't hard to believe.
4 out of 5 of the (declared) FDP chair candidates were there. In the lobby there were copies of an open letter stating that Bittel (Ellison's supported candidate over Bernie's Bullard) wasn't eligible because the miami group did an improper procedure end-run to give him a prerequisite job posting for his candidacy. It was an interesting case as presented, honestly.
That said, listening to him he at least knows the right words to speak--emphasis was on bottom up, money alone can't fix poo poo, 100%.
Then Alan Clendenin spoke. He's been a trench-fighter for years, been screaming about needing to focus on downballot since 2010.
Lisa King: She's from Jacksonville. No mention of downballot focus, but instead spoke more about her ability to bring together Bernie and Hilldawg people and make them work together.
Bullard came in last/late. He's in the state government, and spoke of his being on "the front lines" of fighting for progressive causes. Said we can't afford to have a FDP head being in the background anymore.
Since Leah Carius wasn't there, there was no Q&A.

So at least the FDP chair candidates all seemed to talk a good game.

Next up was an impressive powerpoint on the election postmortem: spoiler: boomers continued their streak of loving america by breaking for trump, along with people feeling economically stressed. White men are also terrible people, but women didn't break as hard for Hillary as anticipated---basically stuff we all know here, but probably new news for some people in the room.

Picked up a DEC volunteer form and will be doing some research.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

That's the thing: most County DECs are far worse off. I'm in an outlier pocket, apparently. And previous chairs haven't done anything to mitigate/reverse that. Just a guess, but I suspect thats a national trend.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Well, yeah, she's gonna be there and speak.
Real question is how much she could possibly affect things, given the changeover in a few weeks.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

OhFunny posted:

It's great to read this stuff about people taking over their local parties.

I feel kinda demoralized though. Whoever Dems run in my town get blown outta the water. They haven't even been to field a full slate since 2008. I'm unsure what to do.

The key to turning over a local area is finding relevant, local issues and pressing them. (garbage dump? local lake polluted? no play areas for kids? walmart blighted commercial district?) Once people start buying into the platform, then more get involved and you get more candidates for local/state offices.

But its hard to get that ball rolling. Damned hard. Do you have any nearby counties that aren't dead zones for Dems? Reaching out to them or the state party may get some resources diverted to help.

If you live in a red hellscape though...welp. The good news is that it's probably been screwed up tremendously in some garish fashion, so you can find leverage issues easier. The bad news is that you'll have to crowdsource or self-support. Maybe get in touch with DSA if there are any likeminded folks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

That's a common conflation: Right to Work is an anti-Union measure (meaning you can't be barred from working or forced to pay union dues) and At-Will Employment is anti-worker, period.

• Locked thread