Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Since my dad is much more recovered from his hip replacement surgery and is able to walk without assistance I should now have the time to start attending meetings. As it turns out the Scott County Democrats here in Iowa are not holding regular meetings at their own offices, but instead the weekly meetings are happening at a UFCW union hall (from the website it seems they represent a large range of professions, but in this area they are especially prominent in food processing and the support staff that keep hospitals and medical care facilities functional). Thats at least convenient as they are a 4 minute walk from me.

I imagine the biggest issue will be the upcoming special election to replace this districts democratic state senator, who died in September after a two-year struggle with brain tumors. The Governor decided the best date to hold the election is two days after Christmas, so it is bound to be very low turnout and give the republicans their best shot at winning the very heavily blue district in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Going out tomorrow to vote in a special election to replace my state senator who passed in September from Brain Tumors. Either way it goes Republicans will control the house, senate, and governorship in Iowa for the first time in... longer than my lifespan, anyways. But the special election promises to be low turnout due to the timing (2 days after Christmas, lol) so there is a good chance that the otherwise very safe dem seat is lost on that alone.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Well, the democratic candidate won the special election for the state senate seat yesterday by a 3-1 margin. Republicans still control the house, senate, and gov in Iowa, but the senate margin just got a tad smaller.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_for_Radicals by Saul Alinsky is probably the most basic go-to guide for leftist organizing from the ground up. It's dated (1971) but remains extremely relevant and a lot of the ideas have been further written and expounded upon by other organizers and activists since then.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I decided to look up my county's Democratic party on social media, see if they were helping to advertise any of the events around here. Their twitter was last used in 2015 to give condolences to Joe Biden for the death of his son, and their facebook was last active 2 days before the 2016 Iowa Caucuses to share an O' Malley post. This county contains the third largest city in Iowa and is a traditional working class Dem stronghold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

bump_fn posted:

Sounds like you should get in and take over

They don't even list their public events/meetings on the website, beyond an informal weekly lunchtime chat with people at a union hall. I go to that every so often, and they seem a hell of a lot more useful than the local party branch.

• Locked thread