Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Michigan goons, this is what is coming up!

So our state convention is on February 11th. You have to be a registered member of the party at least 30 days before that to get a vote. You can join by doing the electronic application at https://michigandems.com or print off a paper copy if you can't afford to donate to the party right now. If you do the paper route, and are in the metro Detroit area, pm me because we will be having someone hand deliver a stack of new member applications to Lansing soon to make sure they don't get "lost in the mail".

Also, this Friday we are having an event at US 12 bar and grille in Wayne. We have speakers from the major state caucuses, from an outside progressive group, and an incredibly amazing judge all coming out to speak on what you can do and why you should get involved. The event starts at 7 pm, and you can RSVP here

https://www.facebook.com/events/1823005154647500/?ti=cl we will have party sign up sheets on site, and all we ask is you eat and drink well and tip the wait staff.

I'm doing a lot more stuff but it would take too long to phonepost about. Will try to make an effort post later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Well looks like I will be on the rules committee from my district in advance of the Michigan State Convention in February. Assuming my District Chair doesn't stab me in the back and pick someone else. I don't think many other people want the job though so I should be safe.

My best advice for new politigoons: be respectful as hell to everyone you meet. You never know who's important. I sat next to a guy at a state central meeting talking for an hour and only found out yesterday he was the chair of the Veterans Caucus that I had been trying to get on the phone for over a week.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

The Groper posted:

I will be at this, and want to get more into Michigan politics. Are you in District 13?

Yes I am! I will be more or less mcing the event Friday night so definitely come up and ask me about the lack of stairs in my home! Also in case you don't know already, district 13s monthly meeting is Saturday morning and the holiday party is Saturday evening. Drop me a pm if you want more info I could definitely use some solid younger folks at our meetings!

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Meeting with the guy in charge of the UAW political wing today to ask his advice on how to get an amendment to the state party rules through that would provide more representation to the under 35 crowd as well as minority groups within our party structure. (Women are already guaranteed a 50/50 split of seats, so I didn't forget them!)

Then I have to go pay for the venue for Friday and tell them how I want it set up.

Then a job interview.
Today is going to be stress city.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah you can point any Michigan folks my way. I'm still learning where all the battle lines are in my local party, But I can at least make sure they know where their meetings are!

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Sure. bass5020@gmail.com

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Summary: Representation for all in the Democratic Party.
Description: Apply the same quota system that the DNC requires for delegations to national conventions to apply for positions within state party positions. Ie where possible x% black, y% under 35, z% lgbt etc.
Targets: Young folks, minorities in super white areas, the disabled, lgbtq folks, pretty much every one who isn't old and white.
Opposition: the "machine" in different states, although since they would still have power over who gets picked maybe not so much.

I found out recently this would have to be changed at the DNC level, not state by state.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Radical.

For easier collaboration, I have decided there is at least one more on topic thing I would like to do in this thread : let me know if you want your state or region added to the OP so people can see at a glance if there are any fellow revolutionaries in the area to man the barricades with

Definitely! Michigan District 13 but I can hook folks up with progressives in other districts as well.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

So our state political race just got heated! My fiancee decided to run for chair of the Michigan disability caucus, because as it stands they only have about 40 members and hold no meetings and she is very passionate about making it an actual force in Michigan politics. A few weeks ago we found out there is at least one competitor for the job. A very passionate guy with hydrocephaly who also may be very mentally disabled we aren't quite sure. His emails and social media account would lend credence to this, but apparently he found out earlier today that there was no way him and my fiancee could be "co-chairs", so he will have to actually campaign for the position. This led to a phone call where he very eloquently accused my fiancee of stabbing our district chair in the back, basically accused her of being a political opportunist, And tried to convince her that if she ran it would ruin her reputation in the party. We then found out he used similar tactics when he ran for chair of his cities democratic club, and saw that he posted all over Facebook about people who "throw other people under the bus and harm party unity."

So... how the hell do you hit back at a seriously disabled guy who may not even have a firm grasp on reality at times?

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

just ignore him and present a sane face to the caucus members

seems like he'll torpedo his own attempt

That's the thing. His Facebook makes it look like he doesn't actually have a firm grasp on reality, but he was drat lucid when he called making veiled threats. But yeah I agree with all of the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Got near unanimously appointed to the rules committee for my district in advance of the February convention! Michigan has so far been very good about trying to give progressives of all stripes a seat at the table after the election. I'll also be part of the unity slate for State Central in February, so hopefully I'll be able to actually get some work done if I win! Michigan goons jump in, there's work to do and most places are glad to have us!

• Locked thread