Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm planning on going to my first town council meeting next Monday to support the reuse of a shut down school to house other organizations needing more space and a ADA compliant building. The Republican controlled board of finance is apparently the only group that would rather just see the property sold and turned into a Walmart or something.

My DTC meetings occur every third Monday but they have been courteous enough to send out an email asking if people are fine with meeting on a public holiday. I posted about the first meeting in the dem thread but my one problem is 1) I've been only in town a few months and it's been a pain trying to play catchup on decades of tiffs and issues 2) I have no idea what I am doing. On the plus side one of the council members was my high school teacher so I have an actual relationship there.

Litchfield County, CT goon here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Don't worry about me, my friend. I knew full well what I was signing up for.

Just a little tidbit for non New-England goons: The local governments here are at the individual town/city level instead of a county level government. County lines are apparently mostly used to divide up judicial systems or for census data. CT is apparently super weird, though:

quote:

Connecticut contains 169 incorporated towns. Put into terms that are equivalent to the other New England states, 20 are cities/boroughs and 149 are towns. (As discussed in the Cities section of Other types of municipalities in New England above, the relationship between towns and cities in Connecticut is different from the other New England states, at least on paper; thus, in the technical sense, all 169 of the above municipalities are really towns, with 20 overlaid by a coextensive city or borough of the same name.)[16]

In general, most of us just try not to think about it :psyduck:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Went to the Town Meeting tonight. First time doing anything with local politics. Very interesting. I voted on stuff, heard people talk about the town budget. Glad I went to this instead of the DSA meeting, but definitely need to try the DSA meeting next month. They also asked for volunteers for Town Board and I considered it... but what time I have is gonna need to go into Dem party reformations, I think, so probably not the place for me right now.

Got my first local Democratic Party meeting on Thursday, looking forward to it.

Went to my town meeting as well. It was packed, but wasn't a "everyone" votes kind of meeting, just the usual board doing town things. This is less for you but toward NE goons in general - just know that our politics do start off terribly local, so you won't get the sweet county results like you saw for CA for the most part. Work with the party, show your worth and you note that, at least personally in my town, a lot of the active democrats are already progressive, but just need more local support to push out what they want implemented.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Now for the full on recap of my DTC meeting this past monday:

Location changed from the senior center to a restaurant right in downtown. Everyone got their own tab, and ate or drank as they wished and there was plenty of socializing afterwards. Party business was the usual, but the Chairman stepped down in November to focus on more statewide efforts so a new chair and vice chair were elected. Quite a bit of prep talk about the coming elections later this year and then we broke to socialize. I talked with the new vice chair a bit about what I'd be willing to help out with (supporting elections on the back end, social media outreach since I was the token millenial out of everyone there). I then stuck around and chit chatted with the mayor over a beer, mostly introductions and my interest in joining a committee.

Lo and behold tonight I saw the new agenda for Monday nights meeting and I'm being appointed to said committee to develop some land near the local river in the center of town into a new park. aside from some natural trails we got a clean slate to figure out what to do with the place.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Syndlig posted:

I'm going to the Wilco Dems Happy Hour this Thursday (if I'm not still sick, that is), which will be at 6:00 - 8:00 PM at Morelia Mexican Grill, 9900 W Parmer Ln, Austin, TX 78717. If you're from an activist group like the DSA I think it'd be great for you to show up to this - now seems like the perfect time to start getting all the local groups coordinating on some joint effort. Plus you get to get drunk and yell about politics to elected officials, so, hey!

This! I talked with the Chair of my town's democratic party committee and he was talking about getting people over to the next DTC meeting and socialize with drinks afterwards. I said it may be better off just having a meet and greet at a pub somewhere instead: No agenda, just drink, talk and socialize with people and then get them signed up, whether to join the committee or commit to another activity that is useful, like canvassing and so on.

My appointment to a committee was approved by my town's council last night with a really interest mix of people based on their party status. I have honestly no other ideas on what else this entails, and I have no idea what I am doing but like any good member of a democracy I'll have to fake it until I make it.

e: Within the past few weeks I've gotten to know a lot of the local people involved in my town's politics. It honestly took two nights out of my time, 20 bucks for some beers, and some research online.

HiHo ChiRho has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Jan 25, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

MustelaFuro posted:

Hi there, New Jersey goon here. I'm a teacher and don't have a ton of free time but I would like to get involved in some manner. Even though NJ always goes blue in national elections, I still want help out at the state level as well, especially considering out anti-education, corrupt fucksandwich of a governor.

I skimmed the first several pages and didn't see anything for NJ.

Hop on the discord and I can try and help burn Monmouth county to the ground with you or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Blue squares would have won

• Locked thread