Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

So trying to get involved up here in Buffalo seems to be kind of a shitshow. As far as I can tell, the local organization is the Erie County Democrats. Their website is a facebook feed + a big READY FOR HILLARY banner. Membership- as far as I can tell, which is limited- appears to be gated behind a 52$ yearly fee, which whatever, I've donated, because I got money. When you sign up, you can choose which committees you'd like to be considered for. I put a number of them, and then sent an email to the listed county chair asking for more details about what exactly each committee does and when they meet. I've got nothing back as a reply but "Thanks, look forward to meeting you!" and literally nothing else from the entire county party in the last month (I did all this in the days after the election). The absolute only thing I can find is a christmas party on Monday with a 50$ admission fee. I'm considering going out of sheer desperation that otherwise I may never actually meet any of these people. :v:

This poo poo is kind of frustrating. I also put myself in as a volunteer literally 'wherever you might need people'. I have money to donate! I have time to volunteer! Let me help you!

Thank god it's not just me. Their Facebook page has photos from an event from the Amherst Dems but gently caress if I knew when or where that was, cause it sure as poo poo wasn't on any website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

KimotaBoom posted:

Signed up in Onondaga County, New York. It looks like they're going to have their next meeting sometime in January? They sure have a heck of a website: http://www.ocdemocrats.com

ANIMATION! aside, there's some good info there. It's got the names, numbers, and e-mail addresses of all the town and ward chairs. It's not a bad website, all told!

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Dec 11, 2016

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

New York is just question marks. Where can I look this information up so I can fill it in?

If you can answer that we'd all be happy. I tried talking to my local party about it but it didn't work(the person who took the call didn't know), and that information is nowhere on any website any of us looked at.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

So trying to get involved up here in Buffalo seems to be kind of a shitshow. As far as I can tell, the local organization is the Erie County Democrats. Their website is a facebook feed + a big READY FOR HILLARY banner. Membership- as far as I can tell, which is limited- appears to be gated behind a 52$ yearly fee, which whatever, I've donated, because I got money. When you sign up, you can choose which committees you'd like to be considered for. I put a number of them, and then sent an email to the listed county chair asking for more details about what exactly each committee does and when they meet. I've got nothing back as a reply but "Thanks, look forward to meeting you!" and literally nothing else from the entire county party in the last month (I did all this in the days after the election). The absolute only thing I can find is a christmas party on Monday with a 50$ admission fee. I'm considering going out of sheer desperation that otherwise I may never actually meet any of these people. :v:

This poo poo is kind of frustrating. I also put myself in as a volunteer literally 'wherever you might need people'. I have money to donate! I have time to volunteer! Let me help you!

Did you end up going to that holiday party? I did not have 50 dollars to spend on the offchance I would meet someone who would do something

(ECDEMS.COM CHECK: STILL READY FOR HILLARY)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Apparently Keith has asked that people NOT contact DNC members.

So, uh - stop doing that, I guess!

Why

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Oh. This makes sense.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I feel like I'm fuckin' up, but I haven't seen anything I can get involved with until like the 23rd of january out here in wny. There's a $500 per person dinner tonight, but I don't have 500 bucks to spend on that

I'm really heartened to see all these elections changing things, though. These local parties all need to be better!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lemming posted:

I dunno where you happen to be, but out in California the best way to get involved is in local democratic clubs. For example, I went to my State, California, http://www.cadem.org/, found the county listing, http://www.cadem.org/our-party/our-county-committees, went to my county, http://acdems.org/, then went to their club page, http://acdems.org/clubs/. From there you can check the websites, or make some calls or send some emails. There should be something roughly equivalent wherever you are, although since some places are much better organized than others, you truly might be SOL.

http://ecdems.com/ this is my county's webpage. I learned about the free event on the 23rd from their facebook.

They are still ready for hillary.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Syndlig posted:

https://berniesanders.com/ourfirststand/ Here's a link to those rallies on Bernie Sanders' website. If you click "Find A Rally Near You" you can, well, find a rally near you. Doesn't look like there's any in my area, sadly, but I might bring it up at the meeting tomorrow and see if anyone knows anything about it.

There's one at the VA in Buffalo if anyone's in WNY and have no fuckin' idea what to do, like me

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Sure, but there's not much to it. Post election there was a meeting for a town club I don't live in, a 50 dollar to come holiday party, some thing that wasn't announced anywhere but they had pictures of on their facebook, and that. There's not much of a story, just a dearth of things to go to. And with the thread being like "I'M NOW AN ELECTED DELEGATE" I felt like I wasn't trying hard enough.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
At the erie county dem's first public meeting that you didn't have to pay to get in, the place was packed full. Sardine level. They ran out of things for people to sign up to be voter outreach and council members.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I need to add that the event handed out this survey, and on it was a giant mistake. There were things to fill out what you felt about the state of politics and all that, but they asked you to rank 5 topics in order of least important to most important. Which is just... terrible. You can't ask me to choose between economic development and healthcare reform. Not only are they both linked, they're both important. You're asking people to already lower their expectations right off the gate, the first thing they get from you.

The only reason I didn't lose all hope is I started noticing most people saw it the same way I did, as a trap, and put all of them as top priority.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

update over in my appalachian backwater: county chair is out of town until the 28th.

so i guess we'll pick up from there on his return.

Don't get discouraged. Things are weird in small counties, probably cause there's no one else to pick up the slack. I'm sure you'll be able to get into things.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I got yelled at on Facebook for not respecting Feinstein :lol:

Who RESPECTS Feinstein? She's been a "fuckin' goddamnit lady" senator for about 2 decades.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lemming posted:

Got back from a town hall earlier, I told Steve Glazer (CA state senator who wants to make it illegal for the BART union to strike) to his face that he's the kind of Democrat that's driving me away from the party, I don't know if it was helpful or not but I felt good about it

There's gonna be another one in a week, I hope he remembers me

You almost won an election, I'm sure he'll remember you.

I mean I think. I donno.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

LinYutang posted:

The establishment is expecting all the progressives getting involved to just get bored and go home fwiw

don't do that

Erie county hasn't had a free event since their whole room they moved to cause there was too many people who came got filled to the brim and everyone was standing and they ran out of signup sheets for chairpeople/voter outreach. It's all been 50 bux+ fundraisers yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Status report on MA:

poo poo guys, this poo poo is pretty bad. It also looks like we arrived just in time. It's absolutely crazy what's been going on. The state party has spent the last decade and a half changing the rules every single year to lock things down and make it harder for progressives to succeed.

This convention is going to be a huge fight, and I'm incredibly afraid it's one we're going to lose, because this is basically the last chance we have to keep the party even remotely democratic. Holy hell. I wish I could share some of this documentation with you guys but it's all very hush hush - of course, if you're in a non-public channel with me then that changes.

But arrrgh.

cool

• Locked thread