Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I'm bouncing around New England atm, but I'm registered to vote in Connecticut. Any advice for someone like me? The local Democrat party is mostly just a vector for graft in my hometown, so much so that the Republican controlled town council got a very progressive infrastructure bill passed in spite of them. CT seems like a microcosm for the problems of the larger party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The 2017 DNC Chairperson race is supposed to be on or before March 31st, so here's some stuff:

Dunno if this the right strategy, but here's a list of DNC chairpeople as well as a Vox article on how the election works if anyone is interested in contacting potential electors. Endorse anyone you wish, except Jamie Harrison, Tom Perez, and Raymond Buckley.

https://ballotpedia.org/Democratic_National_Committee#Chairpersons_of_the_DNC Scroll down for current state chairpeople.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/23/13703720/dnc-chair-election-rules-members

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_National_Committee_chairmanship_election,_2017

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So I tried filling out the forms for CT Dems, looking for events on their websites, etc. Nuthin'. Anyone have any advice? I have local political connections, but they're mostly Republicans due to family history.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Locally the only thing that seems to work to get infrastructure bills passed in my town is if they do it through the issue of municipal bonds. Dunno if people just like the idea of kicking it down the curb as far as payment, but if you wanna maybe be dirty about it and not wanna say, raise taxes as a means of paying for something, this is what works here.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Received this email from the CT Dems, was glad that they're doing something apparently proactive, was more interested if anyone thinks someone like this would be effective.

quote:

In just over two weeks, Donald Trump will be sworn in as President, but this is no time to sit around feeling sad. Instead, let’s stand up and do something! Nothing affects people more than good local government, and over 160 Connecticut towns will go to the polls in 2017. That’s over 160 opportunities to fight for our schools, our neighborhoods, and our environment. Progress is still on the ballot!

It won’t be easy. Turnout in local elections is often very low. That’s why we have to get to work right now. Beginning January 11, we are bringing back our Wednesday evening phone banks on a biweekly basis. From our Hartford HQ, we’ll recruit volunteers, speak directly to voters, expand our Community Captain program, and hold Trump’s local allies accountable across the state.

This is our chance to stop feeling down and actually stand up and make a difference in our communities.

Where: CT Dems HQ, 30 Arbor St, 4th Floor, Hartford
When: every other Wednesday, 5-8pm, starting January 11
Who: You and other amazing Democratic activists

Click here to sign up!

If you have any questions, just give me a call at 860-560-1775, ext. 1003.

See you soon!
Jenn

P.S. If Wednesday night doesn’t work for you, we also need volunteers during business hours to make calls and help with data and clerical tasks; just email me at jthomas@ctdems.org to let me know your availability. Can’t make it to Hartford? You can find local Democratic contacts here.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Grondoth posted:

http://ecdems.com/ this is my county's webpage. I learned about the free event on the 23rd from their facebook.

They are still ready for hillary.

Ah the wonders of the NY Democratic party. Assholes. My advice to you would be to shop around, county by county, website by website, to see if there's a more inclusive local Dem party that's within a comfortable distance, and try going to their events. While there, maybe try asking around about your county. I'm of the opinion that most of the NY Dem apparatus is purposefully poo poo in order to keep it as a good ol' boys club.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Phonebanked this evening for special elections. The candidates are meh, but hell it's Connecticut so I'm just here to stem the bleeding. Was consumed by dueling emotions all night, as the line I was on kept taking forever to connect or dropped my call because the CT Dems are too cheap to pay for a bigger VoIP package. But that was because we were full up on volunteers, which was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am, right now, seated and waiting for my Rep's town hall to begin.

He is Ro Khanna, a liberal representative from a liberal part of California. I'm probably to his left, but this isn't like if I was going to see Chaffetz or something. He and I will largely agree, so I am having trouble coming up with questions.

Any suggestions for questions or comments I might state?

Why did you feel it necessary to run against Mike Honda?

• Locked thread