Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fussydutchman1
Mar 25, 2016

Syndlig posted:

Got back from the Williamson County Democrat Party meeting about an hour ago; it was pretty cool, actually. The meeting itself was incredibly boring (it's primarily business stuff) but I was able to meet more of the county party members, and made my interest in being precinct chair semi-official. I also met a fellow goon who read my posts and decided to show up, and who expressed interest in being the precinct chair for his precinct, so I feel pretty fuckin' stoked about that.

I also apparently already have become something of a known figure, because before and after the meeting people were coming up to me and introducing themselves with "You're the new guy, aren't you? I'm <name>!".

Just want to say, reading this and other goons' stories about getting involved is a fantastic pick me up. Makes me feel motivated to get involved in MN. I'm in Ellison's district so I think the local party might be in pretty good hands, but I'm curious to see the dynamics of a party meeting. I don't really know what, if anything, I can do. I'd still be down to take on some simple grunt work just to help somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fussydutchman1
Mar 25, 2016

Ace of Baes posted:

I'm really interested in hearing ideas for policies/proposal/ballot initiatives that people want to see/try and pass or collect petition signatures for.

Edit: Campaigning on a city level to raise minimum wage seems like a great way to build a voter base that cares about economic issues, and if you canvass and phonebank you could turn out whole bloc's of voters that normally would never show up to the polls, because they just don't care about politics, or see both parties as the same, because they'd have an issue they wanted to vote on, and while they're there, there (hopefully) gonna vote for the economic progressives on the ballot for house rep/senate/governor/etc.

I've always seen marijuana legalization as a no-brainer way to get young progressives or apathetic but generally left leaning folks excited about voting, but maybe that's an oversimplification. Passes a gut instinct test for me, at the very least. Can even frame it similar to Colorado - good for schools / infrastructure / whatever common sense good thing funding.

• Locked thread