Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kentucky Goon checking in - we have a lot of work to do in this state, but I am going to a holiday potluck next week where I will be put on committees for the largest democratic party group in Jefferson County.

I'm also starting up my research as I plan on running for state house in 2018. I believe in Louisville becoming a tech city the same way that Pittsburgh has and it's important that our state politics reflect that Louisville needs to grow instead of hampering our needed progress in favor of continued tax breaks for businesses that simply pocket the cash as they fail to bring any new work to the state.

I personally believe that Trump is on a fine filament. It would seem his supporters are simply devoted to him no matter what he does, but I believe he is one major mistake from turning them against him. Already his choice of Mnuchin as treasury secretary has turned off quite a few relatives of mine who happily voted for Trump. I am not delusional enough to think that in 2018 the tide of resentment will be fully in place, but it very well may be and if it is, I think it's important that we paint the entire republican party as cheerleaders for a failed administration.

My vision for Louisville and for Kentucky is that our best days are ahead of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Equally important is for us to additionally provide compelling solutions in contrast, and also be seen not as a faceless government party that only climbs out of its hermitage every four years, but as concerned neighbors who are involved our communities, and easily reached. Community outreach should be a big part of the local strategy.

Agreed. If the GOP kills medicare, for example, I really think we have to put forward how we can make healthcare work again. People will be dealing with devastating healthcare costs, to the point where even insured a car accident can bankrupt you. That's simply not how things can work.

I have two major points (need to really flesh out which of my other positions can stand as the third leg):

1) If you want to save money, there are a few approaches a government can take, but by far the best approach is investing heavily into education. Better education = less crime, less drugs, more opportunities. If I were forced to decide I could only spend money on one thing as a governor of the commonwealth, it'd be education by far. The benefits of a well-educated populace are amazing.

2) If you want businesses to grow, don't hand out tax cuts to mega rich people who are just going to fund their other rich friends' business ideas or just hoard their money. You hand out those tax cuts to middle class people who want to start new businesses. That's strong, local growth. I'll help out the guy who wants to open a Little Caesars franchise before I help out the CEO of Little Caesars. The CEO already has adequate padding that shields him from risk, we need to help the little guy get shielding from risk so we can get new ideas out into the marketplace.

• Locked thread