Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Zberan Madowinty posted:

Kentucky Goon checking in - we have a lot of work to do in this state, but I am going to a holiday potluck next week where I will be put on committees for the largest democratic party group in Jefferson County.

I'm also starting up my research as I plan on running for state house in 2018. I believe in Louisville becoming a tech city the same way that Pittsburgh has and it's important that our state politics reflect that Louisville needs to grow instead of hampering our needed progress in favor of continued tax breaks for businesses that simply pocket the cash as they fail to bring any new work to the state.

I personally believe that Trump is on a fine filament. It would seem his supporters are simply devoted to him no matter what he does, but I believe he is one major mistake from turning them against him. Already his choice of Mnuchin as treasury secretary has turned off quite a few relatives of mine who happily voted for Trump. I am not delusional enough to think that in 2018 the tide of resentment will be fully in place, but it very well may be and if it is, I think it's important that we paint the entire republican party as cheerleaders for a failed administration.

My vision for Louisville and for Kentucky is that our best days are ahead of us.

When I visited I got the impression that Lexington could be blue but I was just visiting the university

That usually helps tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
The DNC is hosting four regional forums featuring candidates for Chair and the other officer positions. The tentative schedule for the forums is:

January 13-14 in Phoenix, AZ
January 27-28 in Houston, TX
February 3-4 in Detroit, MI
February 10-11 in Baltimore, MD
All regional forums will be open to the public and streamed live.

so uhm figure out how to go if you live in one of those places

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Does Ryan Washington have a chance DFA asked for money but is phone bank if there's a chance

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Is it proper to talk about local rallies cause I got an email about one this Sunday in Chicago presumably they're happening all over

On Sunday, January 15, Democratic members of Congress, trade unions, senior groups, health care activists and all those who believe in economic and social justice are organizing a day of action called “Our First Stand: Save Health Care.” Rallies will be held in communities around the country.

Our First Stand Rally With Sen. Dick Durbin & Rep. Jan Schakowsky
Sunday, January 15ᵗʰ at 1:00 pm CST
Central SEIU Healthcare HQ
2229 South Halsted Street
Chicago, IL 60661

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Syndlig posted:

https://berniesanders.com/ourfirststand/ Here's a link to those rallies on Bernie Sanders' website. If you click "Find A Rally Near You" you can, well, find a rally near you. Doesn't look like there's any in my area, sadly, but I might bring it up at the meeting tomorrow and see if anyone knows anything about it.

i figured there'd be something like this

im gonna go if only to refer to dick durbin as dick dorkins

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
tragically serious post I'm prob gonna be living abroad for a bit for work and (a) is there literally anything I can do participation wise while living abroad and (b) what determines my voting residence? Last place I lived?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is there a better term for those than "anti-worker" or "anti-union" thats catchy? loving "right to work" is as bald faced a lie as "clean air act"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
really good interview with bill ayers in the chicago reader:
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/bill-ayers-interview/Content?oid=25115256

Would you say that's part of the problem for Democrats and liberals? That they got complacent and treated electoral politics as the only kind of politics and weren't able to organize on their own?

I think that's part of it. But I also think that what you call the "New Democrats," the Clinton Democrats, the Democrats of the last four decades—on issues of real importance they just sort of [pass the buck]. You have the Republicans who are overtly white-supremacist in their current iteration. You've got Steve Bannon, a bigot in fact and in policy. What do the Democrats offer up as an alternative? The concept of diversity! Diversity is optics. Diversity is not justice. And, so, those of us who really care about issues of justice, both racial justice and public justice, have to raise these issues and not be deflected by the calls for diversity or a kind of mild multiculturalism. We want justice in the city. We don't want a black face here or there. We want justice, and that means something quite different than the optics of diversity.

The Democratic Party pulls one on us when they substitute justice with diversity. I absolutely don't think there's any way to make progress and build unity in this country except by embracing black liberation. What's interesting to me is that the Democratic Party was unable to utter the term "working class" for decades. It can't cross their lips. Then, the day after the election, they discovered something that they call the white working class. What the hell is the white working class? The idea that there's such a thing as the white working class is a white supremacist concept. So when they say, "Oh, we made a mistake—the white working class in Pennsylvania is suffering," what does that mean? That the black working class is living high on the hog? It's nuts!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

tower time posted:

I decided to look up my county's Democratic party on social media, see if they were helping to advertise any of the events around here. Their twitter was last used in 2015 to give condolences to Joe Biden for the death of his son, and their facebook was last active 2 days before the 2016 Iowa Caucuses to share an O' Malley post. This county contains the third largest city in Iowa and is a traditional working class Dem stronghold.

Sounds like you should get in and take over

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hey this is the best thread i can think to ask about - anyone familiar with the DSA? they have a "what is the DSA?" introductory meeting and their (very very bad) now lists a whole bunch of related things that seem cool around chicago

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
does ossoff stand a chance?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is it a sex thing

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SirPhoebos posted:

I was reading the Scott Pruitt timeline, and the vote count showed 2 Democrats voted to confirm: Joe Manchin from West Virginia, and Heidi Heitkamp from North Dakota

Are they up for re-election in 2018?

yup and think about those states and the fossil fuel industry

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
got n email from DFA

since there are ppl itt who are thinking about running for stuff, here's the link to try to get an endorsement
http://www2.democracyforamerica.com/endorsement_applicants

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Let's take as an example, the phrase "Black Lives Matter"

The maxim from Luntz's book is "It's not what you say, it's what people hear"

Black people immediately understand the meaning of the phrase. They see evidence every day that Black lives don't matter, and this statement is a repudiation.

White people are idiots, and Liberals especially have internalized that everyone matters. They don't see the evidence every day that in reality, we live in a country where Black Lives don't matter as much.
They hear the statement and get confused, and sometimes they think that it's answering the question "Which lives matter?" to which the obvious answer is "All Lives Matter!"

If it was up to me, I'd have made the phrase "Do Black Lives Matter?"

You can chant that, it demands a yes or no answer.

Awful people will intentionally misunderstand it, they do that for everything, but at the very least, you're not confusing other Liberals.

quoting a good point unironically

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
"black lives matter" is a v good slogan the problem is, as always, honkeys

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
White people ............ bad?????

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/BilldeBlasio/status/834195949450846208

make sure every one who knows anyone who is voting reads this

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/834242482821066752

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

blue squares posted:

Some motherfucker beat me to becoming precinct chair!

yeah yeah blame the bernei brwos

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/WSJPolitics/status/834442195050590210

keep it up :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
idk ur local politics but (this is a guess cause u said california) how can u stop the illegal exploitation of immigrant workers and ensure that they can legally work in america for a livable wage

• Locked thread