Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm pretty involved in AZ.

If you're in Maricopa County, PM me and I'll be happy to find the next meeting for your district, and if you want, meet you beforehand so you don't have to go alone and feel weird.

Outside of Maricopa it's a bit more fragmented. It's part of my agenda to make it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Instant Sunrise posted:

what does an assembly district delegate actually do anyway?

seriously considering running for my district right now

If there are vacancies, just do it. Someone will tell you what you've gotten yourself into later.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

White working class is not a neolithic voting block.
whiteworkingclass.jpg

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Syndlig posted:

I admire your willingness to help despite not being a citizen yet. I wish I'd actually given a poo poo back when I was just a resident.

Yes. Absolutely yes you can get involved. You might not be able to be a voting member of a party, i'm not sure on the rules for that (I'm assuming it requires citizenship), but you can still go to meetings, volunteer, donate, and start making inroads so that in the future when you do get the chance to vote, you're already well-placed in your local party.

What's your city/county/state? Glyph's probated right now but I can still see if I can point you in the right direction or find someone for you to contact.

You're welcome, but you're probably not going to be able to move up along some channels. You still can be a valuable and influential person in the organization.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Serf posted:

I'm working on getting involved in the Georgia Democrats. I got called by the 12th District Chair, and on his his instructions I'm going to my town's City Council meeting next Monday.

Anybody have experience with these meetings? Anything in particular I should ask or be listening out for?

I'd mostly just try to figure out who is important and be friendly.
Maybe ask your contact to introduce you to a few people.

One thing you can try is introducing yourself to a random person, letting them know you're new to this kind of thing, ask them about themselves and what they're all about, and after you've talked to them a bit, see if they can introduce you to someone else to help get a feel for the group.

Just bounce around, smile a lot, shake hands, try to remember names.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This is also a weird time to get involved. November was election month, which means reorganization is next. Those meetings are really for the local groups to choose new leadership, and often you have to be elected to whatever your State's version of Precinct Committee/Ward Captain, is.
December is holiday season, some places just cancel their meeting. I've been talking to people who are really involved at the local level and even they don't know when their December meeting is.

January... That's the month we need to be shooting for. The holidays are over, time to get back into the routine.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

pathetic little tramp posted:

Got an email from the local young dems organizer in the KY, lol at the ineptitude:

Christ.

This should be a national priority on our quest to get our poo poo together.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

HorseRenoir posted:

You could probably make some quick bank for offering to make functional websites for local Dems on the cheap

This is true.
Someone please steal this idea and get rich.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mrfreeze posted:

Michigan disability caucus, because as it stands

Run a positive campaign and focus on the things she wants to accomplish. Kill with kindness, talk about how you think all the candidates have something to bring to the table and an election is a great way to get people involved and showcase the best of what everyone has to offer.

Get a Facebook page now, and make it look good.

Edit:

I just looked that other guy up. He seems to be really into toy cars and comic sans.

Dr. Arbitrary has issued a correction as of 03:26 on Dec 13, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mrfreeze posted:

That's the thing. His Facebook makes it look like he doesn't actually have a firm grasp on reality, but he was drat lucid when he called making veiled threats. But yeah I agree with all of the above.

Intentionally misinterpret threats as obliquely as possible.

:argh:"I'm going to ruin your name in politics!"
:frogbon: "Oh, I am so glad to hear that. I admire your passion so much!"
:argh:"I'm going to murder your family!"
:frogbon: "And I hope you have a wonderful holiday too! I'm looking forward to seeing you at the next meeting and I hope I can count on your vote."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My goal is to be an elector.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Had a good talk with the chair of the Arizona Party. Her priority is 50 state strategy. She's receptive to Keith Ellison and says she's talked to him one on one. Her real issue is finding out what that actually translates to in reality. What is Keith Ellison's actual plan.

The other 3 electors for AZ have already been chosen, they have 4 year terms. I'll try to get in on that next time if possible.

I've put my name in as interested in first Vice chair.

Does anyone have any ideas on inexpensive or free options for online meeting spaces. Stuff like WebEx or Google Hangouts? I'd like to have a few options try them out and see if they're suitable for larger scales. I'd like to make it easier for people who live in the outskirts or are disabled to participate in democratic meetings, even if it means just setting up phone conferences or something.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grey Fox posted:

Crossposting from the Dem thread:

I genuinely have no idea how useful this Northern VA session with Congressman Beyer will be, but I figure it's a starting point, so I'll be there.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-road-ahead-tickets-30466452981

There's a lot you can do here. Find his staff too. There's going to be a bunch of people who come to every meeting like this, they're tuned into stuff. Figure out who they are. This is a great place to meet people who are engaged.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

My Imaginary GF posted:

The folks who go to every meeting like that aren't tuned in, they're the loving kooks, ambitious, or a tracker.

Its like attending school board meetings. Unless you intend to run, you probably there to use your 3 minutes to complain about birds on public access tv.

I guess you've got to get a feeling for the meeting.

It's probably a good chunk of normal people, kooks, etc. but there are going to be a few people who know what they're doing, even if they're just the campaign staff or friends of the politician.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing that might surprise people is that there isn't that much discussion of politics. People generally agree so they focus on business. Get some beers afterwards if you want to rant.

Good job on connecting with a local group!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

bump_fn posted:

The DNC is hosting four regional forums featuring candidates for Chair and the other officer positions. The tentative schedule for the forums is:

January 13-14 in Phoenix, AZ

I'll definitely be at this one. Anyone else?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thunder God Biden posted:

Just did, updated the sheet too. I feel like we are gonna see a lot more "No" votes on that sheet than there really were.

I'm gonna laugh if it's over 50% no

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My rep is a Democrat, and I've got a sinking feeling that she voted yes.

I swear, if she did I'm gonna primary her.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zikan posted:

you are aware that the vote was solely among the house republican caucus

furthermore bernie would have won

No. The reports I've read are really short on details and the spreadsheet linked earlier contained Democratic names so I wasn't sure.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

OAquinas posted:

What exactly do precinct chairs/captains do? Not opposed to jumping in but I'm not gonna pull a Trump and sign up for a job I have no clue about.

Generally, it's up to you how much involvement you want to have, here's what I'd suggest based on my experience in Arizona.
I'd say at the minimum, you should be able to do the following:
Attend most meetings, because you'll be counting against the quorum.
Not openly support republicans in elections
If you're asked to volunteer in your own neighborhood, either by canvassing with a candidate, or doing voter registration, you should probably say yes.

If you end up getting in over your head, you're always allowed to resign.

Now, there's a lot more you can do, above and beyond.
It's harder in an apartment complex, but if new people move into your area, you should try to find out if they're democrats, welcome them, and let them know when the meetings are.
You should try to volunteer at events that are organized in your area, handing out flyers or just sitting at a table.
The sky is the limit!

Just do it!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

get that OUT of my face posted:

Yeah, I definitely want to get involved with them too. I have a friend who's been in the DSA since college so I can ask her to keep me posted, and they're also hosting an event on further action against an armory that's planned to be turned into expensive apartments with some "affordable" housing units on the 14th.

That's not the worst thing that can be done with an armory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Armory

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lemming posted:

Balls. I lost by 4 votes

I want to congratulate you for having the guts to try.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grondoth posted:

http://ecdems.com/ this is my county's webpage. I learned about the free event on the 23rd from their facebook.

They are still ready for hillary.

Ok, this really sucks, but you might be in a position to be a real troublemaker if you can learn the bylaws and other rules.

That said, it may not just be people trying to keep you out, it's probably also apathy and incompetence.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

bump_fn posted:

The DNC is hosting four regional forums featuring candidates for Chair and the other officer positions. The tentative schedule for the forums is:

January 13-14 in Phoenix, AZ

Update, from what I can tell, it's only going to be on the 14th.
RSVP Here:
https://my.democrats.org/page/signup/phoenix-dnc-regional-future-forum-rsvp

quote:

Thank you for registering to attend the DNC Regional Future Forum in Phoenix this coming Saturday, January 14th.

This email shall serve as confirmation of your registration. Please note: Seating in the Forum will be on a first come, first serve basis and we cannot guarantee entry once we hit capacity.

All attending guests will be required to show a DNC credential for entry to the Forum room. To obtain your physical credential onsite, when you arrive at the Sheraton Grand Hotel, please follow the signs and proceed to Table B where you will check in and receive your guest credential.

Here are the details of the event:

What: DNC Regional Forum in Phoenix
When: Saturday, January 14th
9:00am MT - 6:00pm MT, Candidate Forum to begin at 1pm MT
Where: Sheraton Grand Phoenix Hotel 
340 N. 3rd St 
Phoenix, AZ 85004

Remember: filling out this form does not guarantee entry to the Forum; seating will be given on a first come, first serve basis until the room reaches capacity.

Thank you for your commitment to staying engaged in this process and we look forward to seeing you this coming Saturday!

The Democrats

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ZeeToo posted:

Figures it starts that early.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it in. :(

Here's more details, don't despair!

quote:

PHOENIX – On January 14, the Democratic National Committee will hold its first of four regional DNC Future Forums in Phoenix, Arizona.

The morning portion will feature presentations, success stories, and looking ahead to opportunities on the horizon. In the afternoon portion, each Officer position will be taken up separately during the Forum in the following order: Chair candidates, Vice Chair candidates, and Treasurer candidates, Finance Chair candidates, and Secretary candidates.

The candidate forums will be moderated by Jon Ralston of the Nevada Independent.
The DNC Future Forum will begin at 9 a.m. local time and end at approximately 6 p.m. local time.
The DNC Future Forums will be open to the press and the public and will be livestreamed on Democrats.org and on social media for maximum audience participation.
Members of the public wishing to RSVP to the event can visit this page: https://my.democrats.org/page/signup/phoenix-dnc-regional-future-forum-rsvp
Members of the public can use this form to submit questions for the chair: http://my.democrats.org/page/s/phoenix-questions-for-future-dnc-leaders
See below for a schedule and list of candidates that have confirmed their participation in the Phoenix forum.

WHAT: DNC Future Forum
WHERE: Phoenix Sheraton Downtown, 340 N 3rd St, Phoenix, AZ 85004
WHEN: The program will run from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Future Forum Schedule

9am – 12pm Regional Political Presentation
Regional Success Stories
DNC Look Ahead Discussion
Featured Speakers: DNC Chair Donna Brazile, Washington Governor Jay Inslee
12pm – 1pm Lunch Break
1pm – 6pm DNC Candidate Forums

The list of candidates below includes those individuals who have confirmed their participation in the Phoenix forum.

Candidates for Chair:

Sally Boynton Brown, Idaho Democratic Party Executive Director
Ray Buckley, New Hampshire Democratic Party Chair, Association of State Democratic Parties Chair
Pete Buttigieg, Mayor of South Bend, IN
Keith Ellison, U.S. Representative (MN-5)
Jehmu Greene, Fox News Political Analyst
Jaime Harrison, South Carolina Democratic Party Chair
Tom Perez, U.S. Secretary of Labor

Candidates for Vice Chair:
Michael Blake, New York State Assemblyman (79th District)
Melissa Byrne, Former National GOTV Digital Director for Bernie 2016
Mitchell Caesar, Former Broward County Democratic Party Chair
Grace Meng, U.S. Representative (NY-6)
Elizabeth Jaff, Head of Business Development and Campaigns for Crowdpac, Inc.
Lorna M. Johnson, Honorary Consul for Jamaica in Los Angeles
Latoia Jones, Assistant Director of Human Rights, American Federation of Teachers and Co-Founder of Black & Engaged
Rick Palacio, Colorado Democratic Party Chair
Adam Parkhomenko

Candidates for Vice Chair of Civic Engagement and Voter Participation:
Karen Carter Peterson, Louisiana Democratic Party Chair
Melissa Fazli, Executive Board Member and Delegate for the California Democratic Party for Assembly District 55

Candidates for Secretary:
Ana Cuprill, Wyoming Democratic Party Chair
Roberta Lange, Nevada Democratic Party Chair
Jason Rae, DNC Youth Council Chair
Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, DNC Secretary and Former Baltimore Mayor

Candidates for Treasurer:

Joyce Amico, President of JPCM Incorporated
William Derrough, Managing Director of Moelis & Company

Candidates for National Finance Chair:
Henry Munoz III, DNC National Finance Chair

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just pointing it out in case anyone wants to boo at her

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Arizona State Committee is next weekend, I don't expect to see a shakeup in the leadership, because overall we did pretty well in all our elections.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ZeeToo posted:

"I am a clueless loser who needs specific walkthrough" questions: so what's the best way to go/thing(s) to do if I can be over there after the lunch break but not before?

I would guess that it depends on how many people show up early.

I'll try to find out for you what the deal is, I would imagine that more people will be there for the later portion, so don't give up.

There's also a Keith Ellison event on Friday night
http://act.democracyforamerica.com/sign/ellison-phoenix

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just talked to a volunteer. They're asking people to show up at 1, or earlier if possible.

I would RSVP and show up when you can.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This DNC forum is pretty neat.

Anyone else here?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This Pete Buttigieg guy seems ok. Unfortunate name.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grondoth posted:

I feel like I'm fuckin' up, but I haven't seen anything I can get involved with until like the 23rd of january out here in wny. There's a $500 per person dinner tonight, but I don't have 500 bucks to spend on that

I'm really heartened to see all these elections changing things, though. These local parties all need to be better!

After the candidate forum, I got to hang out with Jehmu and her team for a few hours. I told them about your experience and she wanted me to email it to her so she can try to incorporate it into her message

Would you email it to her so she can hear the story from the horse's mouth?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grondoth posted:

Sure, but there's not much to it. Post election there was a meeting for a town club I don't live in, a 50 dollar to come holiday party, some thing that wasn't announced anywhere but they had pictures of on their facebook, and that. There's not much of a story, just a dearth of things to go to. And with the thread being like "I'M NOW AN ELECTED DELEGATE" I felt like I wasn't trying hard enough.

This probably doesn't seem like much of a story, but you're a motivated person, and we all looked at the same pages and had difficulty finding a way to get you onto the first rung of the ladder.
You don't think you're the only person in that position, do you?

Let me put it this way, the reason that campaigns spam out the donation requests is that people are only willing to donate some of the time. Usually, they see the request and ignore it. But sometimes a person will hear a thing on the news and be in a ticked off mood. If they see a thing in their inbox right after, especially if it mentions what they're pissed about, they're likely to donate. So you need to be constantly trying to catch people at that moment.

We lost a big election. Millions of people are in that position where they're not just willing to give money, they're willing to start showing up to regular meetings. It's irresponsible to not take advantage of this opportunity.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was just worried that I came across as too pushy!

Nothing wrong with lurking for a while until you get a handle on the culture. We all know how we feel about the Bryan Boykos of the world who barge in wanting to change everything.

Don't hesitate to become a Precinct Committeeman. There are vacancies so it's not like you'd be filling a slot that someone else could be filling more effectively.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turtle Blogger posted:

If any of y'all live in Multnomah County in Oregon and have been registered as a Dem for 6 months or more, you can sign up to be a precinct committeeperson in the county Democratic party using the form linked in the last paragraph on this page http://www.multdems.org/becomePCP

More than 130 people have signed up since the Dems failed hard in November, it's looking like the Bernie people are heeding his call to occupy the party.

I can't say it enough times, become a PC. If there are vacancies, it's not like you're stopping someone more qualified to fill the job. Unless you plan on supporting Republican campaigns, it's virtually impossible to be worse than a vacant seat.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

yellowyams posted:

my state is gerrymandered to hell and back and my senators are republican, what the gently caress can i do to get dems to stop loving over their constituents? are calls just not working? are they not getting enough? there's literally a huge visible resistance fully prepared to back them in opposing trump and his garbage cabinet but several of them keep playing along.

Primary challenges are probably the only way.
What were the last primary election results like?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've said this before, but the coolest part about all this, is that going forward as we talk about other issues in other threads, there's gonna be a ton of people with a good understanding of how poo poo actually works at a local level.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
At AZ Democratic reorganization today.

One of the Vice Chair candidate's slogan is "An injury to one is an injury to all"
:getin:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Went to an info session for my local county Dem party. Precinct elections are early march, thinking bout trying for precinct chair. This is one of the few counties in Oklahoma that ever puts any Dems in office so maybe I can do a thing!

Precinct? Go for it. Most precincts have vacancies, everyone should pursue at least this level of involvement. (Assuming that it's equivalent to how it works in my state.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Working on a project in AZ, you put in your zip code, you find your next entry level meeting with the Democratic party.

The other stuff will still be on a calendar, but if you just want to take the first step in, this will hold your hand to the door.

• Locked thread