Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Had an Legislative District meeting today. Over the last four years, attendance has ranged from four to 20 people.
120 people showed up this time.

God dammit people, where have you been hiding! We could have used you for the last 8 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry, got an updated number. 160 people!

We were meeting in a parking lot a few years ago, just four of us bitching about politics and trying to figure out a permanent meeting spot.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In Arizona, we're starting to consolidate tech nerds into a slack chat room to try and get our poo poo together.

Are there similar efforts in other states?

Any tech nerds in Arizona?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

bump_fn posted:

is it a sex thing

Everything is a sex thing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Where do you live?
The rules are different everywhere.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LinYutang posted:

Go to local meetings and ask around. None of this poo poo is on the internet

Well, it is, but unless you already know what you need to know, you wouldn't even know what to look for.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GlyphGryph posted:

First up: That new Church I joined? Turned out my DTC chair is a member. So thats interesting. Also the church is holding an ACLU fundraiser this Friday.

Secondly, more importantly:

I feel it is absolutely imperative that every last one of you read Lakoff. "Dont Think of an Elephant" is a good start. It is absolutely one hundred percent the thing I think is most important for people to do at this point.

It identifies our real, fundamental, underlying problems and what we must do to fix them. It goes in depth as to why we are losing, and why we are going to keep losing - and what we can do to stop it.

I'd also recommend "Words that Work" by Frank Luntz. The tactics used by the Right aren't a secret, the motherfucker wrote a book on exactly how to do it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blue squares posted:

I haven't read it, but based on reviews and the book description it doesn't sound that vital to me. Democrats don't need to win arguments with Republicans; most people already agree with democrats in general. Dems just have to focus on real people and turnout. Read things about organizing and getting people to the polls, not about winning an argument with a mythical swing voter

It's not about arguing with Republicans. It's about crafting messages that work.

A terrible assumption of liberalism is that people are rational, and if you just give them the facts, they'll come to the right conclusion.

You've got to speak to values, after that, the facts don't matter. If the facts contradict values, the facts will be rejected.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Let's take as an example, the phrase "Black Lives Matter"

The maxim from Luntz's book is "It's not what you say, it's what people hear"

Black people immediately understand the meaning of the phrase. They see evidence every day that Black lives don't matter, and this statement is a repudiation.

White people are idiots, and Liberals especially have internalized that everyone matters. They don't see the evidence every day that in reality, we live in a country where Black Lives don't matter as much.
They hear the statement and get confused, and sometimes they think that it's answering the question "Which lives matter?" to which the obvious answer is "All Lives Matter!"

If it was up to me, I'd have made the phrase "Do Black Lives Matter?"

You can chant that, it demands a yes or no answer.

Awful people will intentionally misunderstand it, they do that for everything, but at the very least, you're not confusing other Liberals.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nachos posted:

"black lives also matter" would have worked too

"Black Lives Matter Too"

I don't dislike the original slogan, it's obviously pretty good since we all know it and if I understand right, it is a legitimate grassroots slogan, not something out of a focus group.

My point though is to show how careful choices in language are important for more than talking to Republicans.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blue squares posted:

the next time black people come up with a slogan or a word for something, I hope they have the decency to make sure it won't upset white people

Sorta. It's not about decency. White people are awful and if you intend to communicate with them, you've got to be really explicit because we're so dumb that we can't figure out if Mookie really did do the right thing.

Really though, the book is worth reading because while you're complaining about having to worry about the feelings of white people, there are assholes on the other side who are deeply attuned to the anxieties of white people and are working on the next "Death Tax" or "Government Takeover of Healthcare."

Pro-Life/Pro-Choice is the perfect example of the importance of framing, the focus of Lakoff's work. If you fail to recognize framing, you'll find yourself arguing the position of Anti-Life, which is a surefire way to lose support.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blue squares posted:

Reading is happening right now and is going quite well. Currently seven folks, welcoming more. Discord.

Thanks for the reminder!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dicere posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of the best tutorials for NGP VAN/DNC Votebuilder/MiniVAN?

Just did some phonebanking for a town hall meeting and the lists are terrible. I guess NGP dumped a bunch of new data on them and they regained a lot of bad numbers the election phonebanks filteted out. I guess nobody exported the refined data?

They need someone with a little more technical acumen.

Don't know any tutorials, but if you get good at the VAN you will have a great volunteering job that doesn't involve knocking on doors or making phone calls.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ZeeToo posted:

Went to the second monthly meeting last night.

We had actually more turnout than January. By like half again, I think. Ran out of seats and several people ended up leaning against furniture.

I signed up for Arizona's Request To Speak system, so with the help of some of the local people like the secretary I'm going to be registering my opinions on a lot of upcoming bills here.

Also I guess I'm probably going to be a PC. When I pointed out where I lived on the map, everyone was excited in the sense of "oh, great, we have like no one out that way". In the next couple weeks, I'm going to be meeting with one of our people to discuss what that would entail and what would be expected.

Glad to hear you're fitting in.

The PC role is what you make it. Don't worry about failing to meet your responsibilities, if you simply show up to most meetings and make an effort to get to County meetings you'll be in the top 50% of PCs.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grondoth posted:

Who RESPECTS Feinstein? She's been a "fuckin' goddamnit lady" senator for about 2 decades.

Longer than that:
http://archives.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2014/11/04/35-years-ago-today-jello-biafra-came-in-fourth-in-the-sf-mayoral-race

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I made nametags for everyone in my legislative district. Makes it easier on me and everyone thinks I'm the bees knees.

One of the best canvassers in my area, before she moved, was a young woman who had two kids. She'd go knock on doors with her kids in tow, people were much more likely to open the door and talk politics.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GlyphGryph posted:

Hold some free events of your own.

Totally. There are rules that govern the organization of your local party, we can help you figure them out.
In the meantime, if you organize in parallel, you might be able to get the numbers you need to take over.
Best case, they're clueless and they'll love you. Worst case, you'll have to oust them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GlyphGryph posted:

Got the caucus this Saturday!

And an organizing event for the progressive slate Friday night, set up by yours truly.

Here's the current draft of the speech I plan on giving - feedback appreciated! I'm debating whether to cut or intentionally go over time :v:

The Maroon Hawk posted:

If you read it in some deadpan robotic voice or seem nervous, probably not so well.

Hey everyone. Glad to see you all here today. I'm Tina Belcher, and I'm here today because the Democratic party needs me - and not just me, but the other fighters standing up here on this stage, and people like you.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GlyphGryph posted:

Read my speech, ended up having to cut more than half out to leave room for applause.

That's awesome! Speaking is so much easier with an excited crowd.

I hate speaking to a group where people are just looking at me. They're not necessarily disapproving or anything, just quietly listening.

Good job!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Went to my first DSA meeting. I was expecting five people in a booth, it was like 20 taking up most of a coffee shop! Woo!

Edit:

Maybe this belongs more in one of the other threads. I'm just excited about the opportunity to help empower some left leaning people, and maybe get them into the Democratic party to start pulling to the Left.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Equeen posted:

Hey, guys! I'm going to my first local Democratic Party meeting next Monday. Any advice for a "maybe I should get involved???" newbie?

Be prepared to hear a lot of weird terms that don't make sense because the people there aren't used to newbies.

If you get there a little early, find out who's running the meeting. Introduce yourself and ask if they can sit you next to someone who is a little more experienced, so that you can keep up with things.

It's​ a bit weird to ask, but if you can make a connection to even one person, you can ask if they'll introduce you to a few people that are regulars or might otherwise be notable.

Most importantly, keep showing up. This is a stamina game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm on the board in my district and my agenda gets covered with boredom doodles.

That's why they call it the board, it signifies your mastery of boredom.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
AZ Democratic party is taking a vote on whether or not to endorse the Medicare for all thing tomorrow.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
AZ Democrats unanimously endorsed the Medicare for all bill.

It's kind of wild that for as lovely as my state is, our party is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Good start. Make sure they put teeth behind that endorsement!

Ahahahaha!

• Locked thread