Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/807814799635558400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
That sounds like a decent enough number of episodes, so I'm looking forward to what they can do with it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

seems like it could be too many, but heck, what do i know

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

I love the poo poo out of LWA and Trigger, but yeah.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
hopefully it'll have lots of standalone eps, that could work well

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cake Attack posted:

If KLK was any indication, I'd say it's too many, but we'll have to wait and see. :rolldice:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i'd love to be optimistic but trigger's kind of shown several times that they are very bad at staying on-course with a full-length epic adventure story. the only one they didn't majorly screw up was luluco, even ninja slayer didn't turn out so great and i'm not even that down on it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'm kinda hoping LWA is gonna be more episodic stuff and not a full-length epic adventure anyway

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah that's what i'm hoping too, it would even make more sense since then they could do it as a project for a whole bunch of different people to direct their own episodes without being tied down by an existing plot to follow which i think would ultimately be a lot more interesting to watch

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

also it's not really fair to judge based on trigger's other works since this is yoshinari's first full series as director, right?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Parallax posted:

also it's not really fair to judge based on trigger's other works since this is yoshinari's first full series as director, right?

i don't think yoshinari is directing, is the problem

there are a few key staff who worked on the movies that aren't working on the show

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The Colonel posted:

i don't think yoshinari is directing, is the problem

there are a few key staff who worked on the movies that aren't working on the show

yoshinari is definitely directing, it's positions like art director that aren't coming back, so stuff like the backgrounds won't look as good as they did in the ovas

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

yoshinari did handle some roles like character designer before that he won't for the series, but LWA is still definitely his project

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

yeah that's what i'm hoping too, it would even make more sense since then they could do it as a project for a whole bunch of different people to direct their own episodes without being tied down by an existing plot to follow which i think would ultimately be a lot more interesting to watch

I would like if LWA became Magic Dandy.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Does a second cour makes KLK an apt comparison? The key staff are largely different and I don't see why the issues KLK saw are a risk factor for a cute and silly show about the guy who grew up in the industry working on all the fun Gainax shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trigger did a bad once, so they're always bad. the staff on every show from a studio is the same as every other show from that studio.

just like pa works did a good once, and is always good. now if you'll excuse me, im off to watch charlotte, which will surely be just as good as shirobako. and then after that, i think ill watch medaka box, which will be just as good as gurren lagann.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Gabriel DropOut
Doga Kobo | Oota, Masahiko | ... | Comedy, Supernatural, School, Shounen | Manga | Jan 9, 2017
Upon passing a school in heaven, graduating angels are sent down to Earth, where they must learn about humans and guide them towards the correct path in order to become true angels. However, Gabriel White Tenma, the top angel in her class, becomes addicted to video games upon arriving on Earth and turns into a complete slob as a result. The story follows Gabriel, along with other angels and devils who have descended to Earth, as they attend high school.
Checking in to point out that this is by the Love Lab/Sabagebu/Umaru-chan/etc/etc team so it will probably be a good comedy despite the tired premise. Those guys can do no wrong.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I dunno, I'll need someone who actually watched luck & logic to confirm

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Luck & Logic was enjoyable. Nothing exceptional, but as far as Magic High School (sans high school) style shows go, it felt more honest and less boastful than the bunch.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Space Flower posted:

I dunno, I'll need someone who actually watched luck & logic to confirm
Luck & Logic wasn't by the Love Lab etc. team.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
wow, i just assumed since it was doga kobo and the first ep felt vaguely similar in animation. i have become my own enemy

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Tanya the Evil looks a good premise that will probably have a lovely execution.

If it's a hardass no-nonsense child/businessman optimizing military logistics, and talking down to grizzled old war veterans; I'm in.

If it's just panty shots and "tee hee I'm a girl now", well... gently caress that noise.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Trigger is good and LWA the Series will be good

I might actually watch the Dragon Maid show; it looks harmless and inoffensive while also being cute

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

The Colonel posted:

the band that did this song broke up before their first concert in america

Holy poo poo don't do this to me guys, I was sure I would find this at the other end of that youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlWZzeN1qQA

And then you made it seem like they broke up

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

guitar vader is way better, not that i think breaking up after 9 years is particularly noteworthy

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Also, not that anyone watched it, but Kiznavier was also very good. I'm willing to trust Trigger, especially when the setting makes creepy stuff less likely (hopefully :ohdear:)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, not that anyone watched it, but Kiznavier was also very good. I'm willing to trust Trigger, especially when the setting makes creepy stuff less likely (hopefully :ohdear:)

Kiznaiver was a series that definitely needed two-cours to be very good so it's still a question of how well Trigger can pace episodes and plots

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Glumslinger posted:

The costume design of the first LWA went out of its way to avoid the possibility of pantyshots.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I'm not terribly concerned about the Trigger part of the equation. My thoughts are mostly that LWA worked in small doses, but to run for 24 episodes it'll need to handle itself differently. That's where my uncertainty lies. Same time, I had that worry about Death Parade, and that worked out great.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
plenty of people watched kiznaiver though? i was pretty disappointed with it cause i feel like the best stuff came like right in the middle and everything before and after that kind of paled for not giving the rest of the cast anywhere near the same development, doubt that'll be an issue with lwa though

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

most of the problems with kiznaiver sounded like issues with the writing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i remember hearing kiznaiver had like twenty different producers but i don't actually know where to look that up. i guess it would make sense because it just had a general problem with never really settling on what it wanted to be until the very end, a lot of time was diverted into conspiracy stuff that never actually ended up being very interesting or important to the characters outside of one character who only really gets any development at the very end

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 11, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well, the Kiznavier plot is inherently ridiculous, but the art, animation, and music were all very good. I agree that they could've used more episodes to flesh things out because some of the characters were a little under-developed.

I still really liked the show, though. The high points were great.

Incidentally, there was apparently a sneak peak of the first few eps of LWA in Tokyo and they're rehashing the movies before moving on to new stuff.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Agronox posted:

Well, the Kiznavier plot is inherently ridiculous, but the art, animation, and music were all very good. I agree that they could've used more episodes to flesh things out because some of the characters were a little under-developed.

I still really liked the show, though. The high points were great.

Yeah this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
"under-developed" is an understatement, imo. i feel like honoka is the only one who actually really learned and had anything meaningful to say at the end, and i don't think they ever even settled on a personality for the masochist dude cause he just weirdly shuffled around in a few scenes towards the end. like, he was supposed to be super chill and friendly but kinda weird i think? and he says he doesn't like emotional pain? but then for one specific moment he makes somebody feel bad and is shown to enjoy it, and they never mention that again???

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 11, 2016

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Rogue Lemon posted:

Tanya the Evil looks a good premise that will probably have a lovely execution.

If it's a hardass no-nonsense child/businessman optimizing military logistics, and talking down to grizzled old war veterans; I'm in.

If it's just panty shots and "tee hee I'm a girl now", well... gently caress that noise.

it's good

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 11, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the way the gay girl in kiznaiver was handled was a Bad

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

... kiznaiver was ... Bad

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012