Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

From what I remember, the first month or two while SAO was airing, the opinion was overall positive, even very positive. Then about 6-8 episodes in it went into a nosedive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Everyone should watch Demi-Chan, it's so good and charming

kater
Nov 16, 2010

demi-chan is good, tanya is good, japari is good, isekai is good.

this has been my favorite season in basically forever.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Nate RFB posted:

Everyone's seemed to have forgotten about Konosuba. I know I sure did.
What you say??

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Nate RFB posted:

Everyone's seemed to have forgotten about Konosuba. I know I sure did.

I had that problem with ReLIFE a couple seasons ago. Because they released the whole thing at the beginning of the season, I had basically forgotten it was part of the season by the end.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Scum's Wish is extremely good and I wish more people were talking about it. It's been my favorite of the season and might end up as my AOTY.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe I watched all of Piace Watashi no Italian

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

esselfortium posted:

Scum's Wish is extremely good and I wish more people were talking about it. It's been my favorite of the season and might end up as my AOTY.

Noitamina stuff being locked behind freakin' Anime Strike is a deathblow to potential viewers unless it has reason to get a lot of hype before it airs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

nielsm posted:

From what I remember, the first month or two while SAO was airing, the opinion was overall positive, even very positive. Then about 6-8 episodes in it went into a nosedive.

Exactly this it started off excellent but by the time they were staying in that cabin and found their AI child or whatever the show started a never ending downward turn.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nobody forgot konosuba

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

Nobody forgot konosuba

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I keep drinking, but I just can't forget...

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

esselfortium posted:

I like Dragon Maid more than Scum's Wish, but it's way closer than I'd thought it would be.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
For people like me who are lamenting the end of Ai Mai Mi, I just found out that Fushigi na Somera-Chan takes place in the Ai Mai Mi universe

word of warning tho, Fushigi na Somera-Chan is pretty darn problematic

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Guy Goodbody posted:

word of warning tho, Fushigi na Somera-Chan is pretty darn problematic

Right? Her face is way too stylized.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

That's just a less goofy looking Densuke, who is still the best dog after all these years.

Kytrarewn posted:

The only one that I truly disliked was Danmachi.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I started seeing all of the hatred for RPG mechanics in fantasy stories around the time Danmachi S1 aired.

Danmachi owned but most of the rpg stuff was pretty unnecessary

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Surprise season 2! I'm glad for more classicaloid remixes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Allarion posted:

Surprise season 2! I'm glad for more classicaloid remixes.

:rip: osomatsu-san s2 in 2017

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

:rip: osomatsu-san s2 in 2017

Good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I finally got around to watching the Majestic Prince movie. Such an underrated series. I may need to go back and watch it again some day.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh, that got ripped and subbed? Thanks for the heads up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope it gets a legit release.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Finally got around to finishing Tanya and it was pretty good. Probably in my top 3 for this season

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think Tanya could conceivably be in my top 3 but it's a misleading statement because it's more like Rakugo and ACCA dueling in the stratosphere causing sonic booms and a creepy little not-German girl looking up at the sky going "what the gently caress was that?"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Tanya is real good, I hope we get a season where she takes on ~the world~

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there were a lot of good shows this season but i don't think any of them are going to top maidragon for me after holy loving poo poo that ending

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I dropped Tanya and Maidragon halfway through because watching all of Fuuka and Masamune reminded me that I don't have to finish shows if I'm not really enjoying them.

I've made a lot of bad decisions this season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

I dropped Tanya and Maidragon halfway through because watching all of Fuuka and Masamune reminded me that I don't have to finish shows if I'm not really enjoying them.

I've made a lot of bad decisions this season.

you haven't even mentioned Kemono Friends so that's another mistake.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

no kissing in the final episode of maidragon
still very good!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ACCA, Maidragon, Konosuba, and Kemofure are my shows of the season, with ACCA at the top. They're all really good shows.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm pleasantly surprised by how good Urara ended up being. It managed to be really cutesy, but at the same time have a genuinely interesting overarching plot and setting to back it up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AnoHito posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised by how good Urara ended up being. It managed to be really cutesy, but at the same time have a genuinely interesting overarching plot and setting to back it up.

:yeah:

I hope we get a second season eventually.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
With the disclaimer that I haven't finished ACCA/Rakugo/Youjo Senki/Kuzu no Honkai yet... I think that I'd probably call Seiren my AotS as of now.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I have terrible taste, but I liked the characters, I liked the setting, I liked the sense of humor and I liked the overall atmosphere. Unlike Masamune, Fuuka, Maidragon and Konosuba there really weren't any times that it fell flat for me. So, while the high points might not be as high as, say, Konosuba's initial hot springs town episode, on average I think I probably liked it more?

I also haven't watched Urara yet, so maybe I'll find someone with a subscription to the appropriate service.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Seiren's romance didn't sell for me in the slightest, but I loved its weirdo awkward comedy. For me it hit some similar notes as Mayoiga and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I think Seiren's first arc was its weakest, which is unfortunate. I liked the other 2 though. Ultimately I feel Amagami was better however, although maybe i'll change my mind of Seiren gets a second season.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Droyer posted:

Ultimately I feel Amagami was better

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Finished Akiba's Trip today. Overall enjoyed the trip, plenty of fun along the way. Can't say it was among the great shows but I never thought it was straight disappointing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I fell off Seiren before the end of the first arc, and never heard enough positive about the rest to go back. The eps I watched had a few funny moments, but really, it just seemed like

Droyer posted:

Amagami was better

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
acca was the best thing this season and i'll be shocked if it gets dethroned as aoty for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Droyer posted:

I think Seiren's first arc was its weakest, which is unfortunate.

I tend to agree, especially with the weird ending/postscript to the first arc. It gave the impression that it'd be a series of 3-4 episode long vignettes, rather than actually having a semi-coherent plot across the course of the schoolyear.

Apparently, the Amagami VN translation is going to be done some time this year, so I'll probably try to experience it that way before watching the tv version.

(That said, there are like 10 VNs between Type Moon, "; universe", Umineko/Higurashi, Clannad-and-other-Key-novels, Muv-Luv, YU-NO, etc that I feel that way about, so who's to know when I'll actually get around to it).

• Locked thread