Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
That sounds like a decent enough number of episodes, so I'm looking forward to what they can do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

They have cancelled the Broken Blade OVA that was apparently being made.

I wasn't actively aware that was even a thing, but it's a shame. The movies were alright.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ID-0 has a new PV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-pSJ_kjh8s

Not what anyone was expecting, right?

However...if you think that's not interesting enough, there's also a translated plot summary.

Which kind of spoils the surprise, but I think the intrigue also balances things out nicely.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Here's hoping it's better than Active Raid. Taniguchi can usually get the best out of his writers, but that depends on them being good to begin with, and Kuroda's output is... variable. He did Build Fighters, but also Try. He did the first season of 00, but also everything else. His last collabs with Taniguchi were Infinite Ryvius and s-CRY-ed, so that's probably our best guide here.

Probably. I still liked Active Raid for what it was, don't need to elaborate on it here, but this is apparently going for something relatively more sophisticated at heart. I think Kuroda has shown he can handle it. Even Gundam 00, love it or hate it, did a good job with its speculative science fiction in season one.

On the one hand, Orange isn't handling the 3DCG this time so it won't look nearly that great. On the other hand, Sanzigen did a better than average job with their 3D work in Bubuki Buranki recently.

dogsicle posted:

i mean, it's probably worth accounting for some Bandai involvement in Try, instead of entirely laying blame on the writer. Ryvius is another weird case where i'm not sure why it has all the disparate elements it does but they ended up dragging down the show throughout the middle.

You can say that, but I'd argue Infinite Ryvius got increasingly more interesting as the social dynamics shifted and the internal power struggles combined to develop the cast. That's what made the core of the show work, in my opinion, beyond any other particular element being to my personal liking or not.

wielder fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 19, 2017

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Megazone 23 had a great concept and executed it decently enough, but mostly thrived on sheer style. Not to mention those cool transforming bikes. I believe there was also a very awkward sex scene for some reason and that probably helped popularize another infamous OVA trend.

I don't remember much about the second OVA other than it was pretty different, so I'll trust the people saying it was good in its own way, but the third one felt weird and almost completely unrelated to the initial premise. If they're going to make a remake, I hope they find a nice balance between paying direct homage and doing their own thing in an interesting way.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Grouchio posted:

When is Code Geass R3 likely to come out?

2018, though given the announced name it probably won't be called "R3" either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chumbler posted:

What if they make it not good?

Then we can always go back to the original and leave it at that.

• Locked thread