Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. It's just a drat riot. I do hope Akko starts to get into the swing of things at least a little sooner rather than later, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd definitely say MaiDragon's aced the 3-episode test. First ep wasn't super remarkable, but 2 and 3 have leaned hard into the absurdist/heartwarming family comedy angle, to its great benefit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Huh. Looks like Bang Dream snuck onto Crunchyroll. Second episode was nice. Lower-key than I was expecting, but nice.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MaiDragon really does look great. I know it shouldn't be a surprise with KyoAni, but I still find myself being impressed with how much some slight tweaks to the character drawings + the painterly color palette and gorgeous background work have improved on the original material.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Homura and Sickle posted:

I had no internet for the first month of this season and want to catch up. Aside from Little Witch Academia (which I love already) what shows are worth checking out now that they've had 4-5 episodes?

Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon has been very warm and fuzzy, Gabriel Dropout has been cute and funny.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, definitely don't give up on it if you don't like the first ep. Episode 2 introduces a character and a slight tone shift that really brings the whole thing together.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Hot take, if you didn't change anything about it other the name of the animation studio (and I guess retroactively removing the previous two OVAs from existence) everyone would think Little Witch Academia TV was kind of mediocre.

I might think that if you ACTUALLY changed the animation studio, because the animation is decisively my favorite thing about it, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit despite not having any particular attachment to Trigger and not having watched the OVAs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

the broom race and twilight episodes were good, but yeah it's not really grabbing me other than having great expressive animation. maybe if akko gets a shred of competence or self-awareness soon it'll look up, but it feels like it's just going to edge closer to lwa2.

I'll agree that I'm definitely waiting for Akko to show some actual competence. She doesn't need to start kicking rear end or anything, but she's kind of just been a load since episode 2.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

just as an example, her riding up to chase the dragons on a separate broom from amanda would've been nice. i don't need her to consistently solve story problems like in ep2, but just small signs that she's getting basic magic would kinda temper the worry that she's just going to stagnate.

Yeah. It didn't actively hinder anyone in the episode, but it was still a little irritating that she hadn't progressed at all on something that's been established to be so basic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anime doesn't seem to be in desperate need of saving IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ulio posted:

I haven't followed this season so what are some of the better shows?

No sequels because I haven't seen any of the shows which are getting sequels except Yowapeda and no harem/moe shows because I've seen too many of those shows. Only if they are really unique I will watch those type of shows. Thanks.

I'm really enjoying Gabriel Dropout, Little Witch Academia, and especially Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon so far.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

I'd recommend against Gabriel Dropout if you're looking for unique moe comedy.

Yeah, I missed that stipulation at first. Gabriel Dropout's good fun and well executed, but I wouldn't say it brings anything terribly new to the table.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

It brings many cute reaction faces to the table

And the most bullyable hellspawn.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Futaba Anzu posted:

"don't recommend me moe shows"
Proceeds to recommend him moe shows

...Do LWA and MaiDragon count as Moe?

..What even is Moe, besides "cute girls doing cute things?"

Endorph posted:

moe doesn't exist, it's just a bullshit term for shows with female characters

Ah, right.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/830806325571444736

Yaaaaaaaay

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Urara's okay, but I got pretty bored with it. The characters just don't strike me as super distinct.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Electivirus/status/831687425588072449

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Not for the next 4 years, at the very least. No thankee.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If we get more Big O I hope it doesn't acknowledge or make any effort to explain the ending of season 2.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd like it to acknowledge it, retconning it out of spite would be dumb. Season 2 owned, ending and all. At worst it was a little rushed and some of the stuff that the writer later talked about in an interview (basically just about Roger and Dorothy's future in the new world, nothing about the nature of the old world or what happened between Big O and Big Venus would have been nice to see.

I didn't say anything about retconning it - I liked S2's ending quite a bit. I just wouldn't want a new season to get bogged down with the logistics of what actually happened in the ending to the detriment of its thematic weight.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

an actual dog posted:

The chat thread is titled "AIDS"

Just like your posts

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Scum's Wish seems like a very pretty and well written show, but I keep hearing about how miserable and unhealthy everyone in it is and it keeps turning me off - at least until I have a vague idea of whether or not it ends halfway happily.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Quite liked today's episode of Bang Dream. Show's been pretty slow, if pleasant, for the past few eps, but I felt like the character writing really found its feet today. Hope that holds steady.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Calling Akko

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, I'm beginning to think that I'm just not destined to like LWA as much as I want to. It's funny and pretty and all, but I keep waiting for it to commit to at least a little bit more of a driving narrative or slightly more straight-faced character work, but 8 episodes in I'm starting to wonder whether it has any real interest in doing either. Which, I mean, is a perfectly valid thing for a show to be, it's just not what I personally'd most like to see its characters and art design spent on.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

LWA is kind of impressive in that it's made the stuck-up-perfect-at-everything rival so much more sympathetic and relatable than the MC we ostensibly are meant to cheer for.

Yeah I would 100% prefer a version of LWA that teamed Akko up with Diana and Amanda over Lotte and Sucy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sucy is funny but kind of mean and predictable IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: Oops, this was meant to go in the chat thread.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 28, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

Oh hey, there's a raw out for the YUYUSHIKI OVA.

https://0x0.st/J40.webm
intended to loop

Want subs

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sure I'll do a recap:

AOTS Contender:
-Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid- Kyoani has by and large smashed my modest expectations for this adaptation, demonstrating an incredible mastery of tonal shifts between sweet family moments and absurdist SOL gags and dramatically improving on the original manga's artwork while still being instantly recognizable.

Fun, absolutely worth a look:
-Little Witch Academia - Fun, funny, very well animated, but after all the excitement I saw leading up to it, I'm a touch disappointed that I don't have more substantial compliments for it just yet. Still plenty of time, though.
-Dragon Ball Super (if it counts?) - It's Dragon Ball. It's doing Dragon Ball things - which is to say it's a drat riot. A little on the ugly side and a bit slow at times, but still. Modern day dragon ball.
-Gabriel Dropout - Fun, funny, pretty well animated. Not as deceptively strong as the last Dogakobo show I watched, but a highly entertaining and well executed comedy regardless. Hail Satan.

Pleasant, if a little underwhelming:
-BanG Dream - Sort of a K-On! does Love Live! situation. Certainly not as strong as K-On, but decidedly pleasant nonetheless. I like the writer a lot and the latest episode did a lot to make the cast more distinct to me, so I'm hopeful that this could sneak a little higher up the list.
-Kemono Friends - Ugly rear end animation, but deceptively charming and quirky SOL bits and weirdly compelling, subtle worldbuilding.

Dropped out of boredom:
-Urara Meirochou - It's kinda cute I guess but I wasn't really getting much out of it that GabDro or Bang Dream weren't doing better.

Things I'm watching and enjoying out of season:
-Katanagatari (would be in AOTS contender tier if released this season) - The writing is memorable and deceptively intelligent, the art style is distinct and appealing, the soundtrack is a real gem, and the overall production does a great job of balancing intense action, weird comedy, and genuine tragedy. Outside of a few overly-talky segments, Katanagatari has made very few missteps so far.
-Symphogear GX (would be in the Fun tier if released this season) - The pacing is all sorts of weird and has me pretty convinced that this won't be a favorite of mine like G was, but it's still recognizably Symphogear. The music's great, it's as well animated as any Symphogear stuff to date, the action is balls-to-the-wall, and even if I'm not totally sold on where they're taking the protagonists yet it still has a tremendously likable and charismatic set of leads.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pretty strong episode from Bang Dream for the second week in a row. That show might really be finding its stride.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I...might be about to drop LWA. I really want to like it more than I do, and there's a version of this show that's way more focused than the one we're getting that's all kind of my poo poo, but we're nine episodes in and we've had almost nothing happen besides nonstop, self-contained, purely episodic antics with characters whose development ranges from static to glacial. Akko, Lotte, Sucy and Ursula aren't EXACTLY the same characters they were two hours of screentime ago, but they're pretty close. It's funny and all, but it's just not funny enough to keep this going for as long as it's trying to. At least not for me.

And, like, it's not even that bad, it's just that the first few episodes left me hoping I'd wind up having a much stronger case for it than I do for Gabriel Dropout instead of one that's roughly on par.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, like I said - my problem with LWA isn't just that it's leaning too hard into the comedy. The problem is that it just isn't funny enough to ask the comedy to carry it for the bulk of 9 episodes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

KyoAni is an extremely good studio that makes lots of extremely good poo poo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eupho literally wouldn't work without top-class directing, IMO. I wasn't super satisfied with how S2 ended, but that had very little to do with anything anyone at KyoAni could realistically do about it as an adaptation. Everything else about the show was immaculate.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

KyoAni's production standards are so far ahead of the rest of the industry that it's kind of insane.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

There are a few other studios that are actually sane about things too. Polygon Pictures (the sidonia/ajin guys) seem to have a reasonable workflow and the president of it actually made a point of saying that he wanted his staff to have time to go home to their families, and the staff for pokemon is ridiculously far ahead of schedule, probably because they realized they'd be in it for the longhaul at some point.

I'm surprised to hear that about Pokemon of all things. I can't remember precisely where I got this idea, but I was under the impression that long running shounen/shounen-adjacent stuff was particularly hellish in terms of production. Good for them.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If the writing didn't speak to you then it didn't speak to you, but I'm confused by your assertion that KyoAni was reusing character designs for Euphonium? Whose design is Reina supposed to be aping? Or Kumiko? Or even any of the side characters?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 8, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I wouldn't really say Eupho's art style imitates real life significantly more than a show like Haruhi does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's solid. Starts off pretty slow, but I've really liked the character work in the last few eps and there haven't been any real missteps besides some pacing issues. Pretty nice looking show too.

• Locked thread