Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Julias posted:

This season will mostly be a catchup fall 2016 season for me, though I'll watch a couple if the sequels (konosuba/Rakugo) and check out a couple of the more interesting looking shows (LWA, ACCA, maybe Seiren).

I could have sworn there was supposed to be some sort of edo-period detective show that I though looked interesting. Did that show dissappear into the ether or am I just being blind?

you are probably looking for Onihei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kuvo posted:

wheres tonkatsu dj agetarou season 2

akitaro daichi is busy making shorts for youtube about a thirsty cat

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

did another ep of that come out yet

i wanna say youtube recced me the 6th ep recently. though i kinda forgot to keep checking after ep 3 and could've been hallucinating

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/807814799635558400

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Let's keep this gravy train rollin', I guess.

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/808342422316949509

can't wait for episode 1 lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a new PV for ACCA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KLcXHQZyls

designs look great and there are a ton of cuts in there from the first few chapters, so it looks like it'll be a straightforward adaptation for what little that's worth. love the focus on food, it's one thing i really liked about the bit of the manga that's translated.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't know anything about what genre this is or what it's really about but it looks great and I'm sold

only like three chapters are translated and it's basically about a chill dude, called Gene the Cigarette Bum, who audits regional government offices. without really spoiling anything he's given an assignment to travel to each of the 13 regions in half a year, while there's also some focus on a council of five dudes who run the whole thing and a handful of other gov't workers who aren't in Gene's office.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he has a normal surname, but gets called the Cigarette Bum because he's always smoking. tobacco is a super luxury item to the point that other ACCA workers are unsure how he affords cigarettes. so I'm sure there's something else at play there.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the art in acca is different enough than five leaves that i think it'll be fine. nobody is toeing the "soulless eyes" or "too large mouth" lines. :cheeky:
but the manga is definitely loose and simple to a degree that makes it less visually interesting imo, so the color and detail of this as adaptation is like perfect for it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

house of five leaves definitely looks different than the manga, in ways which aren't super favorable imo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

LWA is popular enough that there will definitely be fansubs of some sort. but yeah Netflix's practices wrt airing anime are dumb, especially since they've done weekly releases of at least one Netflix original before. they must do big enough numbers with the current format to not care about catering to the seasonal anime niche.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MHA season 2 in April, covering the Sports Festival arc. also the new key visual is really cute

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

but is it uncensored

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

huh, so that chain chronicle movie popped up on cr. did it not get a theatrical release, or what?

it had screenings in September, but who knows how many/how big they were.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think Time Bokan might be good you guys

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah the ANN list seems to go by start date, so you have stuff like Osomatsu missing while All Out (a 2-cour show) is eligible before finishing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

where's heybot

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe polling for nominees and having more than four in a category would be good choices next year. also feels kinda weird to see kabaneri and yoi in for best animation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

How the gently caress is Eupho not even nominated for best animation?

I'm gonna guess these nominations were made with a lot of influence from CR's viewing numbers. they've mentioned at least once that S2 of Eupho has been way less popular.

but also the nominees are dumb, so

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Agronox posted:

Hahaha that's pretty terrible. Four options isn't enough and there are some inexplicable nominations (or lack thereof).

The Re:Zero fans are going to be pissed.

(Somebody please run an SA best of year thread)

the best of thread will be up on the 26th or 27th

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

apparently the 7 judges had no contact or awareness of the other votes and CR decided to run with their mess of overrepresented shows, ignoring the breadth of anime we had this year. and buying into the idea that shows like kabaneri, joker game, and erased were good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

erased was fine, but i feel like it mostly rode a wave of hype for being serious and having a bunch of visual flair that it kinda pulled out of it's rear end and was pretty on the nose (everything is film/a movie). this year has had plenty of stuff that was better or more interesting than it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the other problem with the erased ending is you can watch the movie/drama(?) or read the manga and get different, arguably better endings. only familiar with the manga's but it seems dumb to me that their multimedia push included giving each version of the story a different ending.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i liked the manga but have definitely not read it in years. mostly it had cool mech/weapon design, and i liked the conceit of the main robot being an older mechanical model vs the sorta magical current ones.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm really glad there's only four shows I'm interested in this season, because 2016 has been kind of insane. Onihei, Urara Meirochou, Maid Dragon and Little Witch Academia are the only ones I plan to check out, and it feels weird to say this but I really hope there aren't a ton of super good shows I wasn't aware of because I'd quite like to be able to make a dent in my backlog.

sorry, ACCA won't let that happen

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's my seasonal pick, so I'm gonna make the thread and ensure it dies in obscurity *looks over at Classicaloid*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

unison square garden op? epic.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a slower season, but this upcoming week still has an overwhelming number of premieres. so I'm hoping people can vote for the shows they're most interested in to cut down the list of candidates for the first Winter 2017 Seasonal Stream. use the poll below and vote for as many as you'd like:

http://www.strawpoll.me/12021843

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Anime of the Year: Heybot
Hero of the Year: Mandriver (from Heybot)
Villain of the Year: Nejiru & Heybot
Best Boy: Heybot
Best Girl: Vocammy (from Heybot)
Best Fight Scene: Nejiru & Heybot vs Norio
Best Animation: Sound! Euphonium S2
Most Heartwarming: Daddyboar and Inoshiro reconciling (from Heybot)
Drama of the Year: Sound! Euphonium S2
Best Couple: Moeru & Kathleena (from Heybot)
Best Comedy: Heybot
Best Action: Heybot
Best Opening: Heybot
Best Ending: Flip Flappers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

only now do i realize i should've nominated Tiger Mask vs. Red Death Mask for best fight

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

its that exciting part of the year again when the first shows of the season start airing, so far we have

akiba's trip... i do not like akibas trip

ai mai mi surgical friends very funny

why no mention of shonen tanteidan neo? it's good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tanya looks bad to me, but the voters have spoken and i will be forced to watch it. since voting seems to have died down, i'm culling the list and here's the deal on the stream:

The first Winter 2017 Seasonal Stream will happen this Sunday! I'm aiming for early afternoon (2pm CST?), but since a few shows air that day, we're going to be at the whims of any airing delays/sub delays for unlicensed shows. The planned lineup is:
- Little Witch Academia
- Akiba's Trip
- Youjo Senki/Saga of Tanya the Evil
- Demi-chan
- Idol Incidents
- Seiren
- Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club
- Nyanko Days (short)

Time updates will be posted day-of in the lovely livestream thread.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 5, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and because why the heck not, the second stream shows have been decided on, by me! it's a much lighter week of premieres and i don't think anybody would strongly object to Hand Shakers, Marginal#4, or Chaos;Child being left out. it'll be sometime the 13th/14th (updates later), and the lineup will be:

- Gabriel Dropout
- Onihei
- ACCA
- Kemono Friends
- Chiruran (short)
- Piacevole! (short)
- One Room (short)
- Kobayashi-san's Dragon Maid
- Kuzu no Honkai/Scum's Wish

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Burbo posted:

I read a bit of the revenge manga after watching the first episode (https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/masamune-kun-no-revenge-r7751), and I can conclude that I still probably won't like watching it that much. Ah well

any particular reasons?
first episode had a really nice aesthetic and i really like masamune as a character so far. aki will probably get better so my only worry is how well side characters are put to use.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

class rep gets my vote, but i'm under no illusion that he'll pick anyone other than aki.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Partly it comes down to taste, but I'm generally agreeing with what everyone else said. Watched the first episode and then skimmed the manga, and it's incredibly likely the mangaka is going to end it with Aki being the chosen girl. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, except it honestly feels like the MC syncs better with multiple other characters, rather than her, as the story is written.

ah, that harem problem. i don't watch them really at all to gauge my likely reaction, other than Toradora did the same to me and i still enjoyed it greatly. so i'll carry the show's torch, for now.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the main thing about fuuka that would give me pause is the big chapter 37 twist. so I'd think it would take most of a single cour run just to drop that in your lap and then there's so much less time to deal with the fallout. but my only experience with the story is from hearsay so who knows.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a kitten posted:

Tell me the thing.

I didn't know this was so unheard, given how much fuuka hate I've seen in adtrw

the female lead is killed by a truck

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

is it the one where she gets quickly replaced by a similar character? I might've heard of it a few years back then.

there is another girl with the same name, but i have no idea when she first appears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

Demi-chan makes up for the bad shows yet to air. Extra-cute art turned out to be nothing to worry about. I want Hikari's hairdo explained though.

her sister sort of explains it iirc. so assuming we reach that chapter, it might happen.

• Locked thread