Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd be excited for LWA if LWA2 wasn't so disappointing.

Demi-chan and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu are my only guaranteed watches, though I might keep my eye on Chaos;Child and Kobayashi. So much of the";" series has been bad or mediocre post-Steins;Gate so I don't really have much hope for it, but who knows? Kobayashi will probably be fine but I remember reading a decent chunk of that manga and not really caring all that much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So Gainax got Konami'd? Just with maid cafes instead of pachinko? OK.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I want to say it got upped to 3 movies but I could be wrong, it's been so long since I've seen news for HF. I'm 99% sure it's at least going to be two films though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't really like or dislike Maid Dragon, for what it was it's fine I suppose. But I kind of knew that'd be my reaction since I can't recall ever getting too far in the manga for the same reason.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Ojojojo is still his best series.
Yeah that one is great. Too bad it barely ever gets updated. It's probably finished anyway for all I know, IIRC CK said it was only meant to be a 1 or 2 volume endeavor in the first place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I do kind of miss when it was a big deal a new Macross was coming along, since it was a relatively infrequently updated series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nowhere to go but up after Delta.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

delta was still better than 7
That's damning with faint praise, but even then I think I prefer the music in 7 and its endgame episodes are actually pretty decent.

Delta's also probably better than Zero but at least Zero's misery is over with in just a few episodes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Holy moly that lineup looks dire.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hot take, if you didn't change anything about it other the name of the animation studio (and I guess retroactively removing the previous two OVAs from existence) everyone would think Little Witch Academia TV was kind of mediocre.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Primarily I think the first OVA's popularity has been propelling that property further beyond its weight class. It seemed to work quite as that initial, quirky, cute little thing but the more they try to flesh it out the less it works. Ever since the second OVA Akko has been a particularly awful and irritating MC and I truly can't see myself able to ever root for her. If anything it's far more satisfying in the eps so far where Diana has to bail her out. Give the spotlight to Sucy or heck even Diana, they're much more interesting.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Didn't the author for that die?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dogsicle posted:

i don't really remember the utena recaps so it's very likely i skipped them. maybe not the second one since it used the shadow girls
I hope it wasn't the one that has Utena quite reluctantly sleeping with Akio because that one is a doozy and one of the most memorable Utena episodes for me.

E: I think that one did heavily feature the shadow girls, tho

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's too bad about the Rakugo thread, I had always assumed people were just posting in it for S2. It's definitely going to make my top 5 again in back-to-back years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
LWA is kind of impressive in that it's made the stuck-up-perfect-at-everything rival so much more sympathetic and relatable than the MC we ostensibly are meant to cheer for.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah I would 100% prefer a version of LWA that teamed Akko up with Diana and Amanda over Lotte and Sucy.
Diana, Amanda, Sucy, and that engineer witch whose name I forget would be the LWA dream team.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If it has to be three then have Diana/Amanda/CONSTANZE with Sucy's voice as a Ron Howard-like narrator.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Please finish likely* AOTY March comes in like a lion, a kitten.

*Rakguo S2 might give it a run for its money tho

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I'm watching now hasn't changed from what I expected to watch at the outset, other than me liking Maid Dragon more than I expected.

March comes in like a lion and Rakugo S2 are immaculate.

Maid Dragon and Demi-chan are both funny and feel good, with Maid Dragon in particular being impressive for its usual KyoAni attention to detail.

Gundam IBO S2 is a solid war/political intrigue story. I dunno if die hard Gundam fans hate it or whatever but as someone who has bounced hard off of most Gundam shows over the years I think it's pretty good.

I'm pretty lukewarm on LWA and Konosuba but I'll see them through to the end.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

kater posted:

I don't know where I'd put March Comes In Like A Lion. The current arc it's in is actually pretty uninteresting. I mean, it is interesting. It is definitely interesting. But compared to last cour, it is much more tame. I've cooled on it quite a bit. Might be related to the much worse OP.
Lion jumps around a lot, where Rei or the Kawamoto sisters take a backseat to characters on the periphery from time to time. They're generally all pretty good stories though and you can certainly bet on it returning to Rei and company soon enough. I'm not totally sure where the ending arc will be although they almost certainly will not get to the next major major Rei/Kawamoto stories unless it were a cour or two longer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sucy is worth having alone for her voice alone.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Spiritus Nox posted:

I...might be about to drop LWA. I really want to like it more than I do, and there's a version of this show that's way more focused than the one we're getting that's all kind of my poo poo, but we're nine episodes in and we've had almost nothing happen besides nonstop, self-contained, purely episodic antics with characters whose development ranges from static to glacial. Akko, Lotte, Sucy and Ursula aren't EXACTLY the same characters they were two hours of screentime ago, but they're pretty close. It's funny and all, but it's just not funny enough to keep this going for as long as it's trying to. At least not for me.

And, like, it's not even that bad, it's just that the first few episodes left me hoping I'd wind up having a much stronger case for it than I do for Gabriel Dropout instead of one that's roughly on par.
I'm pretty down on LWA compared to most but I do feel like it's not necessarily to the show's detriment if 9 eps in the team is not changing too much given that it's a 2 cour show. None of that would matter if they were still charming or entertaining to watch, and my main issue is that I just don't actually like them as people so it's hard to take some of the antics in stride and just kind of enjoy the ride. For all its myriad of faults, even Kill la Kill I think did a better job of doing just that with Ryuko and Mako, at least at the start.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
After actually watching LWA 9 I think the problem is less that the characters aren't really developing and more that the stories these stand alone episodes are telling are just not very good or entertaining. Everything with that zombie dude felt half-assed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Eupho S1 and S2 were the best shows of their respective years IMO. It had extremely relatable characters and drama. I wasn't super satisfied with the ending in S2 but it's still overall the best thing KyoAni has made in a long time, including the very solid/good Maid Dragon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AnoHito posted:

From what I remember, the direction seemed more or less average for KyoAni, which, granted, makes it better than most shows, but not something I'd say makes it worth watching in it's own right.
It was definitely quite superlative. It was rife with subtle and not-so-subtle pacing and framing direction that complemented the story extremely well. The most specific examples off the top of my head is how it would go out of its way to make it so that Shuuichi would constantly have to interrupt whatever action or conversation was taking place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am both marooned via a huge snowstorm and quite ill from PAX, so I have decided to spend today marathoning Gabriel Dropout.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This show is A-OK.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only downside to my plan was that after a point the combination of lying down + cold medicine + anime started to induce something akin to a fever dream. But the show is pretty solid for a manga that I read maybe a few chapters of and promptly immediately forgot. I definitely agree that it fills the silly/cute/dumb/funny gap that LWA has failed to do so up to this point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

not one, not two, but three Eureka Seven movies got announced

https://twitter.com/EUREKA_HI_EVO/status/842572582972874752

...:toot:?
*shrug*

Though I like the look Anemone has there. So seeing her again in some form I think is OK by me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If we are talking in general outside of that trio then I cannot believe anything in the current season can possibly match either Lion or Rakugo S2. It is criminal how little talk there has been about Rakugo in particular.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everyone's seemed to have forgotten about Konosuba. I know I sure did.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My takeaways from those charts are:

-Chaos;child and LWA got less and less popular as time went on
-Rakugo even at it's lowest was basically higher than everyone else :smug:
-Except for Konosuba which surprises me in that I thought S2 was decent at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't know what to really expect from ACCA but its been a pretty good political drama 8 eps in, so cool on ADTRW for reccing it a lot. It's given me at least one thing to watch in Spring.

• Locked thread