Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I will watch the new KyoAni and Trigger shows. And if the "anime about the game that no longer exists" goes off the rails, that might be fun too.

And of course whatever you fine people end up recommending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well, the Kiznavier plot is inherently ridiculous, but the art, animation, and music were all very good. I agree that they could've used more episodes to flesh things out because some of the characters were a little under-developed.

I still really liked the show, though. The high points were great.

Incidentally, there was apparently a sneak peak of the first few eps of LWA in Tokyo and they're rehashing the movies before moving on to new stuff.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
If this season is sparse that might not be so bad. Will give me a chance to catch up on Flip Flap and Yuri.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Davincie posted:

oh and this is what the panty and stocking announcement was

https://twitter.com/otakomu/status/809376184215556097

lol are you loving kidding me

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

darkgray posted:

Maybe we don't need a best of thread this year, CR's got it covered:
https://theanimeawards.com/
So many options!

Hahaha that's pretty terrible. Four options isn't enough and there are some inexplicable nominations (or lack thereof).

The Re:Zero fans are going to be pissed.

(Somebody please run an SA best of year thread)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

esselfortium posted:

It's also weird that with so many Kiznaiver nominations in there, it's not among the choices for best OP when the OP was probably the best part of Kiznaiver.

Yeah. And I have no idea how Nico got a nom when it's completely unclear that she's best even in her own show.

I'd say Erased is still pretty great though, and I'd put it in my personal top three for the year. The ending is kinda dumb but I liked pretty much everything else. (I'm probably a bit more forgiving of plot issues than most, though.)

I suspect it was slightly overhyped and is now suffering from a bit of a contrarian backlash.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Was Amagi that popular?

Would it win the crown of "KyoAni's Thirstiest Series?"

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

a kitten posted:

Wait really? Guess I'll move the manga up a few notches in the Backlog.

Yeah, I will do the same. Everyone seems to agree that the manga was as good as or better than the show...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Monster Boys.

The Daily Lives of Monster Boys.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

LWA has a fish in a witch hat anime of the year.

Was also in one of the movies IIRC. Yay continuity!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
https://twitter.com/hugbdrill/status/818834986438533122

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
https://twitter.com/hugbdrill/status/818976678722445312

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

El Burbo posted:

More like flip floppers haha

edit: also, wow, yuri has more sales than the next five combined

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

One Room is so bad it's not even consistent with itself: On one occasion it switches to her point of view for no reason other than to show her chest, because the lack of congruity with the shot compositions prior can't be explained any other way.

One Chest

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
another disgusting case of otaku discrimination

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like I should make a distinction here.

KonoSuba is kinda what happens if you throw a bunch of people together who have never played D&D before but may have played JRPG's into a game with an rear end in a top hat DM.

I really like the PCs approach to character building. They're like min-maxers who don't know what they're doing.

Aqua: My stat lines are fantastic, sure, but what we need are more PARTY TRICKS
Megumin: Every single point must go into EXPLOSIONS
Darkness: Not a tank, just a meat shield, PUNISH ME

Well, okay, I guess Kazuma tries to be well-rounded.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I'm no expert but outsourcing critical infrastructure seems like a potentially horrific idea.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I agree, I didn't like the first ep but it's been pretty good since then!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's okay. Things can be good but ephemeral.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

let's deconstruct it

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Two minute cat show has an episode without cats? DROPPED.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It brings many cute reaction faces to the table

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Gabwatchreligiously.

Also thought this was interesting:

https://twitter.com/hugbdrill/status/832247086590488577

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
pachinkO

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, kind of the usual Trigger Writing Drift.

I'll watch all of it, but it's pretty much on the bottom of my list at this point.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
She nearly straight up murders Luluco, recall.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I...might be about to drop LWA. I really want to like it more than I do, and there's a version of this show that's way more focused than the one we're getting that's all kind of my poo poo, but we're nine episodes in and we've had almost nothing happen besides nonstop, self-contained, purely episodic antics with characters whose development ranges from static to glacial.

I was thinking along almost the exact same lines earlier today, how at the beginning of the season I was most looking forward to LWA, and once I started Dropout it was pretty much on the bottom of my list... but now that's pretty much flipped. Dropout is also pretty episodic, but the show's a lot more funny and the characters are sympathetic.

Kinda makes me all the more disappointed that fellow Trigger show Kiznavier, which could've put another 13 episodes to very good use, didn't get them, while LWA is... well, I won't say wasting them, but there's a lot in this first half that I don't think is going to excite many re-watchers.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

perfect post/avatar synergy here

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I am both marooned via a huge snowstorm and quite ill from PAX, so I have decided to spend today marathoning Gabriel Dropout.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Konosuba features a totally brutal tractor death!

(Btw, thanks to whoever recommended Kiniro Mosaic. Fun little show. I kinda wish I knew more nihongo because 80% of the "Karen speaks trash Japanese" jokes are over my head, but the ones I do get are pretty funny.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Ok, so things are ending, should I go back and watch: Demi chan, ACCA, that thing where it's a salaryman in a blonde girl's body and it's WW1?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Thanks all! I will watch those two and read the manga for the other.

E: and maybe also march lion!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

If we are talking in general outside of that trio then I cannot believe anything in the current season can possibly match either Lion or Rakugo S2. It is criminal how little talk there has been about Rakugo in particular.

Rakugo is on my "definitely watch at some point" list, but it doesn't seem as "fun" as other shows.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

What a great season this was

Yes! I was happy with pretty much everything I watched (though I dropped LWA, might come back to it) and there's still half a dozen good ones I haven't seen yet.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

With the disclaimer that I haven't finished ACCA/Rakugo/Youjo Senki/Kuzu no Honkai yet... I think that I'd probably call Seiren my AotS as of now.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I have terrible taste, but I liked the characters, I liked the setting, I liked the sense of humor and I liked the overall atmosphere.

Well, hey, I'm glad there are people who are out there still watching more under the radar kinds of shows. Taste is overrated.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

PittsBLurgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I second the "thank you forum" for ACCA. I'm fewer episodes in but it is very interesting.

• Locked thread