Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Demi-chan
Gabriel Dropout
maybe GBF
Dragon Maid
Konosuba2
LWA
and Idol Jihen's the one about the idol politicians, yeah?

But the only one of these I'm really excited about is Dragon Maid, because kyoani. No doubt other things will come to light, though, and I still have yet to even start some things from last season that I know to be good, so that's OK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
hopefully it'll have lots of standalone eps, that could work well

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
House of Five Leaves is great and looks cool and unique, I won't stand for badmouthing of it.

I didn't realize ACCA shared HoFL's mangaka, now I'm excited for it. And now I've watched the trailer, and I'm more excited for it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It does have a good OP and ED, though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

nielsm posted:

Why are everyone naked on Crunchyroll's poster for Ai Mai Mii.

why aren't you naked, right now?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Same, except you mean the class rep, not the maid

you have a good av

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Because of his hand coming in at the left, I think a 1px border would be a better fit. I personally prefer transparent only when there's no more than one edge.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 6, 2017

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
More likely, most didn't watch it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Namtab posted:

ascended world war

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Namtab posted:

Its possible for two things to be good.

heresy!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
So far of the new season, I have watched the first episodes of:

Youjo Senki - Though I'm wary of its isekai roots, the first ep was cool enough to earn it a solid chance. It's makes war seem profoundly unpleasant, and Tanya is OP but paired with her attitude it's in a way that's fun to watch.

Demi-chan - This is great. It manages to draw out everything I like about the manga, possibly stronger than the manga itself. Cute!

Little Witch Academia - I've previously only seen the first OVA, which was cute and fun, and this is too! I love the playful animation. Akko's total inability to read social cues is hard to watch, but I'll persevere, because this evokes a sense of wonder in a way that few animes manage.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Tanya stands out like a main character should. The lady mage stands out like she's from a different anime.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I watched more first episodes!

Seiren - This pretty much feels exactly like more Amagami. That's a good thing.

Idol Jihen - This was boring, and the performance somehow managed to be less interesting than Aikatsu performances. Idols + dumb premise guaranteed it an episode, but it totally failed to earn more from me unless folks that stick with it rave.

Grabriel Dropout - Cute and funny, but not a ton to recommend it over the manga, which I read fairly recently. May or may not watch more. I liked that her life went from proper to lazy as soon as she clicked the button to buy a premium item in a game, that was a nice addition.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

z0glin Warchief posted:

Love Live Sunshine did similarly (and with a few thousand higher sales in absolute numbers too) iirc.

good

X

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Parallax posted:

anyone who thinks the konosuba animation is ugly can eat my shorts

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Three more first eps down.

Maid Dragon is alright. Better than I expected from the nay-saying 'round these parts, not as good as I'd hoped when it was announced. Seems pretty much the same quality as the source material, without the kyoani polish I'd expect. I'll watch more, sure.

Urara Meirochou is fun and cute. Cute OP, cute characters, cute yuri overtones... sasuga Manga Time Kirara. Yep, I'll be watching this. Aside from cuteness, I really liked the fortune telling scenes, they were nicely mysterious.

ACCA is really cool. The exposition dump towards the beginning was really inelegant, but I loved everything else. I like the characters, I like their design, I like the calm-before-the-storm atmosphere the episode cultivated, and I like the interestingly-angled backgrounds. The OP and ED are rad. I wish I could show the ED to a dancer I used to know. Definitely watching this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh dang, ACCA's director has done a good amount of good stuff. Nodame Cantabile, OPM, large portions of Space Dandy, and lots of animation work on good things. That + the original work being by the House of Five Leaves lady means this really should have been on my radar.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The boob sfx were good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I am loving all the lingering shots of sensei's arms from the other characters' perspectives in demi-chan.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'M PANICKING AND SELLING ALL MY STOCK

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

saving this for idol thread

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

hell yeah!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ACCA's OP and ED are really cool

https://jii.moe/B1X8-YVPx.webm

https://jii.moe/BJ1fmY4wx.webm

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Demicol posted:

I just watched the first episode of Chaos;Child. It had an episode lenght recap of Chaos;Head and I read the plot summary on Wikipedia afterwards, is that enough to make sense of this going forwards or should I watch Chaos;Head?

I don't know about any links between the ;s, but in general: don't watch Chaos;Head.

VN's worth playing, though, if you enjoy VNs.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
this

is cute as heck

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's the funny one. Togame has Shichika wrap himself in her hair to familiarize himself with her.

It's also cute as heck.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Urara Meirochou

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good. Gonna get into the mood to camp over the summer.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Things I'm interested in at a glance: Eccentric Family, of course, maybe Granblue, Sakura Quest, Rage of Bahamut, Hinako Note, Fukumenkei Noise (I recall liking the handful of chapters I read years ago), Sakurada Reset, more Natsume, maybe Ren'ai Boukun (I think I recall the manga being funny?)

I'd guess I'll end up following at least a half dozen of those, + the inevitable few that aren't on my radar. Solidly busy season.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Homura and Sickle posted:

I had no internet for the first month of this season and want to catch up. Aside from Little Witch Academia (which I love already) what shows are worth checking out now that they've had 4-5 episodes?

ACCA is my pick of the season. Cool political stuff contrasted with chill SoL eating, with an awesome OP & ED.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I suppose it's possible Imperial Germany also decorated their HQ like this, but I think it's fair to suppose that they're trying to evoke Nazism here.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
:same:, incredibly excited for that

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

dogsicle posted:

the succubus said something about there being an age gap between them as big as between machi and herself, which would add up to somewhere in the 30s. dunno if that was a mistranslation or he really is older than he looks/acts.

16-22-28

e: an educated guess (since I think this is her first teaching job), and something like what I assumed before hearing Chumbler assert that he's 28

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

cute!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
NGNL generally ranged from OK to unfunny, but the shiritori episode was fantastic.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It least one or two in idol crew are watching it. I found the first episode boring and haven't looked back.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ACCA! Watch ACCA!

e: look at this guy's huge mustache and huger hat!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

When an anime has to do a recap episode, they usually do something to make it worth watching. A tiny amount of new animation at the begining and end of the episode to establish a framing device, or they have some fun with the voice-over, include some jokes or character interactions that you wouldn't get from the rest of the series.

Saga of Tanya the Evil didn't do that. Just a clip show. 0 new animation, and maybe a dozen lines of new voiceover, the absolute minimum required to stitch the clips together.

Unless a show's going to go all out and make the recap well worth watching, like Utena, I'd actually prefer they do it this way, so that I can just skip it with nothing lost.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

dogsicle posted:

it's okay, they can just buy a plush of one of the five other cats in the show that look almost exactly like Serval

big surprise, dogsicle is cat-racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

brainwrinkle posted:

Hey everyone - ACCA is the best show this season. Please check it out if you like bureaucracy, cakes, food, regionalism, low-key political drama, excellent foreshadowing, old men, young men, older women, princes voiced by Mamoru Miyano, landlords, people discovering toast, New Years parties, cigarette smokers, high taxes on cigarettes, or people who go to work only to eat snacks. Thank you.

• Locked thread