Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
news flash: pretty much everywhere is better if you're rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qhat posted:

Basically I'm not sure where people got this idea that London is like the bay area because it's definitely not. London actually has space to build but is limited by a lack of govt willingness to spend.
The bay area has space to build but is limited by a lack of govt willingness to let people build. Spending generally isn't even required, as the developers cover the costs.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

meatpotato posted:

The current job makes a frivolous product (iot toys for rich people), the new job's product is potentially more useful (agricultural tech, but it's a startup)
You should take the agriculture job. It's a growth industry.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ShadowHawk posted:

The bay area has space to build but is limited by a lack of govt willingness to let people build.

The people who are stopping development are also people. "Government" is people.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Doc Hawkins posted:

The people who are stopping development are also people. "Government" is people.
"Government" is actually mostly Reptillians.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Management posted:

Mountain View has these but they are beat-up old RVs. apparently some people figured out that instead of buying a $2 million house you can buy a piece of poo poo RV to sleep in and take showers and eat at work. and they are multiplying rapidly.

these are homeless people not tech bros

unless tech bros are driving up the prices on street-parked RVs now too

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

The bay area has space to build but is limited by a lack of govt willingness to let people build. Spending generally isn't even required, as the developers cover the costs.

my immediate neighborhood has a 1-10 acre minimum for new lots, depending on average slope

a bit further away and its 100 acres

its easier to build a nuclear power plant than a place for people to live

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“eschaton”" post="“477035453”"]

[/quote]

nah. homeless people don't buy beat up old RVs and drive them to Mountain View and park them a mile from google headquarters.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

reminder that google had (has?) an employee living in a box truck in the parking lot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The_Franz posted:

reminder that google had (has?) an employee living in a box truck in the parking lot

having looked at the traffic and rent around the google campus it seems like a really good idea

i assume google has threatened Mountain View with just putting RV hookups in their parking lots?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The_Franz posted:

That guy started moving around, but I've been told there are more like him, without blogs.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

digital nomads man

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

have you ever committed from the countryside

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i had a mate from woodford/chingford and he called it hoodford and had stories of getting chased around estates

also i think he knew IDS but that's a different story

anyway don't live in London, it's poo poo

i earn like 1/3rd less in NL than my mate in London and I have a 2 bed flat to myself, he lives with 2-3 roomates

i have a 15 min commute by bike, same by metro if its raining; he has to get 2 buses and is always complaining about missing them

oh and don't get me started on poo poo pubs with poo poo beer for poo poo prices

gently caress london

Lol. Honestly there are some dodgy areas there, more so chingford though. Woodford is far from a shithole though if you live closer to the Essex end of it. The key thing is it's super well connected.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

AWWNAW posted:

digital nomads man

more like internet hobos

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I also met IDS when I was like 13 or something and thought he was a massive Tory oval office back then.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

and if you're paying £4 for a pint in London you're doing alright

gf did the study abroad thing in london and her favorite pub in someplace called king's cross had a £5 pint and pie deal. issat near enough to London to count?

for some reason she knows it got taken over by an irish pub chain so that's prolly gone but the pound was worth a lot more back then heh

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

having looked at the traffic and rent around the google campus it seems like a really good idea

i assume google has threatened Mountain View with just putting RV hookups in their parking lots?

I'd put money on it being against local code to have RV hookups period

not that goog couldn't just ride out the fines but I'm sure they don't want to

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why don't goo.gl just build apartments for their peons?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Boiled Water posted:

in places like korea where they do this companies still have some understanding that they are part of a social structure, and that perhaps that structure puts obligations on them to provide things to people further down the structure which will ultimately benefit the company (as well as reinforcing the hierarchical nature of the social structure). i don' think you'd find a single person at google who thought they had that sort of obligation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

in places like korea where they do this companies still have some understanding that they are part of a social structure, and that perhaps that structure puts obligations on them to provide things to people further down the structure which will ultimately benefit the company (as well as reinforcing the hierarchical nature of the social structure). i don' think you'd find a single person at google who thought they had that sort of obligation.

yeah but with all the other stuff i've heard over the years about how goog tries to provide college campus-like amenities, i'm surprised they haven't just tilted straight over into building actual dormitories and promoting it as "now you can ~~*~collaborate~*~~ w/ your coworkers in the evenings when you have a cool idea about work! also hey just come downstairs to the cafeteria for food, no need to have to deal w/ kitchens or spend so much money on takeout! ;)"

seriously it wouldn't be about "being part of the social structure" it'd just be a naked grab for extracting more labor via "why would you ever leave work? work is cool. work is life. it's just like you never left college!"

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah i think that might just stretch the self delusion bubble a bit far. you can pitch onsite food and laundry etc as Work Life Balance! onsite living kind of takes away that figleaf

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
free breakfast at work! served until 9.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

qhat posted:

I also met IDS when I was like 13 or something and thought he was a massive Tory oval office back then.
hes not even a bootstrappy Michael Gove kind of tory oval office who at least had the decency to work hard and be smart to get to the point where he could poo poo on everyone

ids has been a massive sponge his whole life - cushy posh man military job, married someone rich, appointed benefits minister and tells poors to get a job

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Munkeymon posted:

gf did the study abroad thing in london and her favorite pub in someplace called king's cross had a £5 pint and pie deal. issat near enough to London to count?

kings cross is very central, this counts. thats quite a good deal tbh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

because the city of mountain view won't let them

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i'm interviewing for an internal transfer to a highly visible role with the chief product officer next week and am literally making GBS threads a brick

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

qirex posted:

it's this. they proposed multiple times but the city always tells them to get hosed

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

one of the generational sf locals who used to post here used be very anti-tech gentrifcation was also anti-googdorm

like, give them mv as a containment area and you wont have five thousand of them of them buying group houses in oakland every day

in my (liberal, non-california town) there was a recent property tax increase which prompted calls to take the franchise away from students and non-landowners

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
didn't MV relent only to have goog threaten to yank the proposal unless they get more offices? like within the past week?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

didn't MV relent only to have goog threaten to yank the proposal unless they get more offices? like within the past week?

yeah but this has been like a decade-long fight, I think they were only close to a deal because google promised them all sorts of stuff

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

CrazyLittle posted:

it's this. they proposed multiple times but the city always tells them to get hosed

They're god drat google why don't they just push their leverage around? Take out the massive cock, swing it about and into the face of mountain view.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Boiled Water posted:

They're god drat google why don't they just push their leverage around? Take out the massive cock, swing it about and into the face of mountain view.
oh they try

mv still has a lot of incumbent landowners who really dont want to become a company town and who push back as hard as possible

its funny because in 99% of america the local town council would be crawling over broken glass for the chance to land a bunch of well paid software jobs from a fortune 50 company (see: all those desperate cities trying to outbid each other for the right to host amazons second hq) but mountain view is just "take your 6.5 figgie jobs and shove it"

silicon valley is weird

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

first half of my apple interview went well, I think

next half should start shortly :sweatdrop:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

first half of my apple interview went well, I think

next half should start shortly :sweatdrop:

What did you prepare for the talent portion of the interview?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

it's probably because it would be a giant pain in the rear end for them to move hqs, so mountainview can just tell them to gently caress off and they can't really do much about it other than offer increasingly large bribes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

talent portion is over already

now its the swimsuit competition

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Schadenboner posted:

i'm hoping song and dance routine

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Boiled Water posted:

i'm hoping song and dance routine

I was holding out for ball-cupping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

silicon valley nimbys have infinite lawyer money

• Locked thread