Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

why don't goo.gl just build apartments for their peons?

the town keeps shutting them down

instead it's: more offices! more long distance commutes!

so eco friendly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FMguru posted:

mv still has a lot of incumbent landowners who really dont want to become a company town and who push back as hard as possible

tooooo laaaaaate they're fuuuuucked

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unless the employees also live there that's kind of moot.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they should have let goog build a bunch of tiny studios/dorm style housing because a) young people don't vote and b) they'll have to move if they want to have kids [increased school-age population terrifies these fuckers to death because Good Schools* is a huge part of their inflated property values]

*yes, this means exactly what you're afraid it might

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My wife got laid off and on one hand it's great because I know she wasn't happy but on the other I dread the fact that she doesn't really know what she wants and may simply quietly freak out.

I mean I can and do handle 90% of the household poo poo but I'm worried this will lead to me handling like 99% in which case I will DEFINITELY freak

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

they should have let goog build a bunch of tiny studios/dorm style housing because a) young people don't vote and b) they'll have to move if they want to have kids [increased school-age population terrifies these fuckers to death because Good Schools* is a huge part of their inflated property values]

*yes, this means exactly what you're afraid it might

first my mind went to amount of kids in classes and how it might negatively impact student/teacher time and ..

it's because talent knows no race isn't it? :smith:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Welp wrong thread

qhat fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 5, 2017

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaggar posted:

unless the employees also live there that's kind of moot.

that has to be literally what "total percentage of city employment" is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

C.H.O.M.E posted:

that has to be literally what "total percentage of city employment" is

no, it doesn't. it could very easily just be a list of major employers, period, not employers of local residents.

in fact it is very likely precisely that, since the sums at the bottom reference "daytime" population (i.e. including all people who commute into mountain view, excluding all people who commute out)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I completely confuse recruiters now, it's great: I have a big, highly visible project using TypeScript, Node.JS, WebSockets, but I'm not a web developer and I know nothing about AngularJS or React. Then comes remuneration chat, :lol:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
[quote="“Notorious b.s.d.”" post="“477098342”"]
no, it doesn’t. it could very easily just be a list of major employers, period, not employers of local residents.

in fact it is very likely precisely that, since the sums at the bottom reference “daytime” population (i.e. including all people who commute into mountain view, excluding all people who commute out)
[/quote]

you are right i missed the "daytime" part which makes it meaningless

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Boiled Water posted:

They're god drat google why don't they just push their leverage around? Take out the massive cock, swing it about and into the face of mountain view.

qirex posted:

silicon valley nimbys have infinite lawyer money

"companies come and go, but real estate is forever"

Boiled Water posted:

first my mind went to amount of kids in classes and how it might negatively impact student/teacher time and ..

it's because talent knows no race isn't it? :smith:

fresh blood encroaches on decades old white flight

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

we are 6 weeks into the process for the new gig i have lined up and i get an email saying that because they switched from taleo to workday i now have to recreate a profile and reapply to the posting online for that role. i hope it is just some hr onboarding bullshit and not a reset to 0 because uuuuuggggggghh

corporate talent acquisition is some bullshit

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turnquiet posted:

have you tried...

being talented? :grin:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

doesn’t work

nepotism on the other hand

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

cronyism & rep is how I got most jobs so far. you update the resume to hand it off to HR after you've already got to talk to the team that will be hiring you and got temporary offers and off you go.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
resumes are marketing literature

like a flyer for a garage sale

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

we are 6 weeks into the process for the new gig i have lined up and i get an email saying that because they switched from taleo to workday i now have to recreate a profile and reapply to the posting online for that role. i hope it is just some hr onboarding bullshit and not a reset to 0 because uuuuuggggggghh

I interviewed at workday, not with that group but I was like "I have some notes for you guys" because apparently sending 1000 nearly identical emails is the best way to handle any task

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Oh, thank god I don't need to do any more interviews for a while. One more linked list and I would have poo poo on the conference room table and set the place on fire.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

anyone been through linkedin's recruiting process for devs?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

qirex posted:

anyone been through linkedin's recruiting process for devs?

Hehe, I'm about to. I went through their recruiting process to be an SRE and got an offer out of it, but later on decided that being an SRE wasn't for me. So I decided to go for a Dev role and I'm schedule to go through it all again in a couple of weeks.

The schedule looks to be pretty similar to what Google/Facebook do: 5 interviews covering various aspects.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Since getting a job and adding everyone in the company to my LinkedIn, my profile views have tripled. Lol recruiters.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
i put a still picture of me speaking at a vendor thing and it easily tripled my views as well. public speaking! (even though I sound like a more monotone bert from sesame street)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

i put a still picture of me speaking at a vendor thing and it easily tripled my views as well. public speaking! (even though I sound like a more monotone bert from sesame street)

that is a normal goon voice so don't worry

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
tech screened a mid-20's guy today for a dev position... he was so far up his own rear end in a top hat it was like, and im not exaggerating here, interviewing donald loving trump

some choice quotes:

- "I joined a GameJam team because they needed a composer; I have zero music experience but it was actually really easy and the music turned out great! I wrote an article about it and it was really popular!"
- "I wrote a (e)book and it was really popular!"
- "I was into tech stack X when it was version 0.10."
- "I still commit code to my current project even though I'm product lead and like part owner of the "company" (aka a side-project of a massive bank). I even do pull requests and code reviews like the other devs!"

and he just fuckin' rambled on and on with no focus the entire fuckin time.

oh and he decided to use Ruby on Rails as the backend for their greenfield project 18 months ago? who the gently caress still uses rails for new things

ive met some devs with big egos but goddamn dude

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that's usually a winning interview strategy in my experience

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

tech screened a mid-20's guy today for a dev position... he was so far up his own rear end in a top hat it was like, and im not exaggerating here, interviewing donald loving trump

some choice quotes:

- "I joined a GameJam team because they needed a composer; I have zero music experience but it was actually really easy and the music turned out great! I wrote an article about it and it was really popular!"
- "I wrote a (e)book and it was really popular!"
- "I was into tech stack X when it was version 0.10."
- "I still commit code to my current project even though I'm product lead and like part owner of the "company" (aka a side-project of a massive bank). I even do pull requests and code reviews like the other devs!"

oh and he decided to use Ruby on Rails as the backend for their greenfield project 18 months ago? who the gently caress still uses rails for new things

ive met some devs with big egos but goddamn dude

that's pretty classic recent grad. he has no accomplishments yet because he hasn't had time to do anything and all he knows is the out of date stuff he picked up in school

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

I just got a paid software engineering internship at a defense contractor last week (first "real" job) and holy hell I feel like I'm way over my head. It's a sea of acronyms and procedure and while I have a general idea of the system I'm working on, I got to look at some of the code yesterday... gently caress. Definitely a new league. I'm definitely willing to put in the effort to try to understand that poo poo and help out though because the pay is pretty great for an internship and I get my own office.

One month-ish check in. The acronyms still suck but all the important ones have managed to stick in my head and I can hold halfway coherent conversations about projects on occasions that I am brought into one.

I figured out why the code was such garbage on the first project I was given... They made it using a graphical programming tool called IBM Rhapsody and they wanted me to basically take the Rhapsody part out of the code it generated. Fuuuuck that. When I finally handed over the final project after commenting out hundreds of lines and having to write stubs for half the poo poo just to get it to compile, dude got this look of shock/horror when I told him it would compile but not link. Apparently I did way better than anyone expected? Fuckin weird to me considering how shittastic and awful the thing looked when I was finished with it.

Current project involves expanding capability for an emulator we use to test one of the systems the company has a contract with. gently caress GUIs (Windows Forms.) Also I never realized C++/CLI was basically its own language so I've been cramming that into my brain for most of the week so far by using .Net 2.0 on Visual Studio 2008 :emo:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

you could have just stopped at 'defense contractor'

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

InfrastructureWeek posted:

you could have just stopped at 'defense contractor'

when I got there I thought matlab 2010b would pop up somewhere

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol c++/cli you poor bastard

C++ is a lovely language where the most obvious answer to every question is always wrong. But at least it is (unfortunately) used in industry.

C++/CLI is a legacy technology. It won't help your resume. As long as you mentally separate the CLI stuff from real C++ then I guess the experience is useful.

Also yeah, you're an intern. If you can fog a mirror while simultaneously not annoying people with your presence then you're already exceeding expectations. That being said, when you get a big boy job then people will have actual expectations of you, so take this practice time to ramp your skills up. Personal projects you develop by yourself can teach you a lot, but actual practical experience working in a real dev team has no substitute.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I hate selling myself in interviews, because I feel there's a fine line between

"I did [significant achievement]" :geno:

and

"I did [significant achievement]" :smug:

As an interviewer I think it's also important to know that line exists, and to at least be charitable when socially awkward people in a nervous situation stumble across it.

(Not that I'm not suggesting your judgement was incorrect)

quote:

Again, sometimes people get nervous in interviews and do this. I'm nervous that I do it, which compounds the problem :(

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
thats why its good, when you get to the Stories About Myself portion of the interview, to emphasize the times you assisted your team in doing things

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Hoo boy, actual coders wrote the code you're working on. You lucky soul.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like poo poo, they might even have wrote some unit tests for it before shipping it to production.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

Also yeah, you're an intern. If you can fog a mirror while simultaneously not annoying people with your presence then you're already exceeding expectations. That being said, when you get a big boy job then people will have actual expectations of you, so take this practice time to ramp your skills up. Personal projects you develop by yourself can teach you a lot, but actual practical experience working in a real dev team has no substitute.

Ya or just use your time on other more worthwhile learning pursuits while getting paid because your current work is probably not important enough that anyone will notice if it gets done or not.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

thats why its good, when you get to the Stories About Myself portion of the interview, to emphasize the times you assisted your team in doing things

I've had this blow up in my face as: "so you didn't do anything". It can be a hard balance to strike.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Boot and Rally posted:

I've had this blow up in my face as: "so you didn't do anything". It can be a hard balance to strike.

I've had that happen and been so :smith: at the question that I just sort of nodded in agreement.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

qhat posted:

Ya or just use your time on other more worthwhile learning pursuits while getting paid because your current work is probably not important enough that anyone will notice if it gets done or not.

usually there's at least one manager somewhere that'll keep track of if you're actually doing something, but yeah, if anything you do actually matters, things have gone horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boot and Rally posted:

I’ve had luck with the “royal we”

• Locked thread