Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Bloody posted:

ya. its insanely stupid on the company's part. long-tenured employees are good because they build up loads of institutional knowledge but if you don't promote people and the only way to get raises is to leave welp you're gonna lose that institutional knowledge over and over

Who cares humans are cogs and it's the ultimate conclusion of this broken capitalist system soon developers will be paid $2 an hour to program their robot overlords while the previous generation whips them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

holy poo poo I would never ever work there. I have heard bad things but this is amazing. I had no idea.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I got my last job because they literally made the position for me and HR had me go through the whole stupid process. Like HR had to do the pre interview 'ok, so in the job description it says "must have 3 years experience with TSO.... and your resume says 3 years with TSO, great!' An entire hour of that then 30 minutes trying to get me to tell her my previous salary to which I told her '<current salary + 15%> but given my niche skillset I'd expect at least 15% above that since I'm leaving at least that on the table in unvested stock' (also helped my buddy knew the absolute limit they would pay for the position).

The other 'panel interviews' were 'heres some stupid questions we have to ask from HR, okay great, when can you start?'

Anyway, I guess the moral is job hunting sucks but you'll get a job eventually and then you'll have enough experience that people on linked in are begging for your resume and/or asking for your help to do their job for them.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the only downside is the people spamming u on LinkedIn are absolute imbeciles

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had someone look at my linkedin page to try and burn me in some internet argument on facebook.

How many years I have in your industry doesn't affect newtons first law you dumbshit

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

im thinking about deleting my linkedin because its from before my transition and while theyll let you change your name they wont let you delete old reviews and poo poo, and ive never got a meaningful hit from linkedin. just lots of recruiters asking if i want to do tech support

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

this morning's LinkedIn idiocy

idiot recruiter posted:

I wanted to reach out to see if you might be interested in chatting?

We are looking for Senior Embedded Systems Engineer to work with our autonomous vehicle group.

Please let me know if this is of interest?

me 😎 posted:

I think you forgot to mention which company you're representing. Let me know..

idiot recruiter posted:

Thanks for reaching out.

I generally don't reveal who I'm representing until such time I gain agreement to represent the candidate. That said, please let me know if you are interested in chatting and if so I will be happy to tell you more during our discussion.

note that he said "we" and "our" in his first email, but now he wants to represent me because he's a third party scumbag

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i did two phone interviews for a new position and they asked me to come for a final onsite. pretty sure it's a last check that im not a complete creep and they want me for the job cos they were willing to move the interview by a couple weeks to fit my schedule, but then they said they weren't going to put me up in a hotel and could I please provide them with a flight schedule which will allow me to get there and back on the same day, wtf

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Management posted:

this morning's LinkedIn idiocy

note that he said "we" and "our" in his first email, but now he wants to represent me because he's a third party scumbag

the messages i get are hilariously awful for completely different reasons

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i have a good + cool job

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

for a cert exam I understand bc they have to come up with a way to remotely proctor it but for an interview holy loving moly

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pleawe for gods sake screen webdev candidates for an understanding of callbacks

i maintain a commercial product that includes a web page javascript file. since it does useful things, it depends on callbacks. half the integration failures are from customers who can't spell callback much less register one

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just finished a nice interview with an ECN, talked about the problems of ZeroMQ and the dearth of IPv6.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

currently interviewing but my best prospect so far is someone who knows me and wants to just hire me outright

gently caress whiteboard interviews. i'd much rather pair on a kata or something. the latter is at least somewhat realistic to day to day

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my last interview the manager gave me a whiteboard problem but apparently had a single right solution he wanted but didn't give any hints towards and he also didn't know enough about the subject to answer my basic "who's buying this?" or "how complex is the average system?" he just wanted some magic iot bullshit answer

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

bone app the teeth posted:

currently interviewing but my best prospect so far is someone who knows me and wants to just hire me outright

pretty much the best and easiest way to get any job. cronyism owns if you have enough cronies (although in general it is toxic and bad for both employers and prospective employees)

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

he wanted you to design the iot butt thermometer

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

pretty much the best and easiest way to get any job. cronyism owns if you have enough cronies (although in general it is toxic and bad for both employers and prospective employees)

yeah i actually worked there about 4 years ago and i was the first employee who quit that was "eligible for rehire"

i've been surprised at how few ruby jobs there are in my area. and i'll probably be doing iOS anyway so whatever

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

yeah i actually worked there about 4 years ago and i was the first employee who quit that was "eligible for rehire"

i've been surprised at how few ruby jobs there are in my area. and i'll probably be doing iOS anyway so whatever

ruby is pretty much dead at this point unless you love working on lovely legacy apps with unintelligible code

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

the interview for the federal position i will hopefully start some time in the next few months was just an hour talking about my bullshit on github and how i handle looking up stuff i don't know. when they asked me about computer security i made a joke about emails and then said something about not rolling my own crypto and letting the math nerds handle that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

triple sulk posted:

working on lovely legacy apps with unintelligible code
this is all jobs though?????

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would rather be waterboarded than whiteboarded

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I like coding on a whiteboard if it's a real coding question. the trick is to keep the question extremely simple so it doesn't get bogged down in the details of the code and focuses on the important aspects.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i would rather be waterboarded than whiteboarded

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

design/architecture questions are good on whiteboard, because that's a valid medium for solving design problems irl

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

this is all jobs though?????

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

MrMoo posted:

Interview last week, they had not prepared and made stuff up as they went. Actually nice programming challenge, basic FIX parser. Found bugs in their code for FIX constants too. I haven't heard anything so yet another rejection, woot.

Bonus they had just moved office that morning and were unpacking things everywhere and I turned up at the old address.

im having trouble fixing some bugs in my fix engine can you come over for an "interview"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
most important thing is to be a rock star and crush it. if the interviewer is not a bro it might be hard but you can pwn him with your ninja skillz

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

amazon suuuuuucks do not work for them or normalize their hiring process

lancemantis posted:

whats the lovely toxic aspect of theirs?
lying

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

qirex posted:

my last interview the manager gave me a whiteboard problem but apparently had a single right solution he wanted but didn't give any hints towards and he also didn't know enough about the subject to answer my basic "who's buying this?" or "how complex is the average system?" he just wanted some magic iot bullshit answer

lol

For me the worst part about interviewing is when you find a cool job, with cool people and they agree to your salary requirements, but then they hire someone else because they got low-balled through a recruiter. Fortunately that is normally only a problem with "big" companies where HR has metastasized into cost-savings center by deflating employee salary's.

Otherwise new job Interviewing is pretty interesting, though intense.

The Management posted:

I like coding on a whiteboard if it's a real coding question. the trick is to keep the question extremely simple so it doesn't get bogged down in the details of the code and focuses on the important aspects.

Most interviewers/people aren't smart enough to understand what they are trying to ask you to do in the first place, nor why.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
is it evens possible to screen webdevs javascript skills seeing as 90% of people who write javascript code don't even know or care that they're using javascript vs fart.js

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
btw those amazon proctoring rules seem p reasonable to me, the guy who wrote the page has an attitude that tends to prolong unemployment

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gently caress whiteboard interviews. i'd much rather pair on a kata or something. the latter is at least somewhat realistic to day to day

A code kata is an exercise in programming which helps a programmer hone their skills through practice and repetition. The term was probably first coined by Dave Thomas, co-author of the book The Pragmatic Programmer,[1] in a bow to the Japanese concept of kata in the martial arts. As of October 2011, Dave Thomas has published 21 different katas.[2]

is this what you ment? and can you please give me an example?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

btw those amazon proctoring rules seem p reasonable to me, the guy who wrote the page has an attitude that tends to prolong unemployment

handing control of your computer to a third party by installing their software on it seems reasonable to you?

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

qntm posted:

handing control of your computer to a third party by installing their software on it seems reasonable to you?

the world is full of injustice. next they'll make you hand over dna so they can test you for drugs.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Bloody posted:

sure but its in boston and not good
dammit, i think that's the only thing i can offer in return

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rsjr posted:

the world is full of injustice. next they'll make you hand over dna so they can test you for drugs.

i have never in my adult life worked somewhere that drug tests. have some dignity.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I love LinkedIn, every week I get a different headhunter contacting me about a JavaScript full stack developer position i.e. something I don't mention anywhere in my profile and have no interest in doing

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

actually, interviewing and job hunting owns because it's the best way to get a 40% salary bump

and if you don't think this

you should do more of it and then you end up pretty pro-af at interviewing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i have never in my adult life worked somewhere that drug tests. have some dignity.

I don't do any drugs but I wouldn't work at a place that drug tests. it shows a fundamental disrespect for employees which is sure to manifest in other ways later. if someone wants to get high in their personal time it's none of the company's business.

• Locked thread