Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Only time I've been drugged tested was on hire both times in finance, not sure what's up with that. I've never had random drug-tests or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I can be randomly drug tested and polygraphed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

qntm posted:

handing control of your computer to a third party by installing their software on it seems reasonable to you?
so that candidates can't cheat for the 60 minutes of a test? sure

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

so that candidates can't cheat for the 60 minutes of a test? sure

if your hiring process is so bad that you might actually accidentally hire someone who is enough of an idiot to cheat on an employment screen test just lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just have a separate laptop open for cheating, duh

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's not a question of hte process being bad, rather that amazon is a huge company and thus is a target for scoundrels

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

lancemantis posted:

I can be randomly drug tested and polygraphed

lol at polygraphs.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

St Evan Echoes posted:

just have a separate laptop open for cheating, duh
GL pulling that off on camera

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
*opens email editor* dear conhugeco hr recruiter, even though I sent you guys a resume with my PII on it I've been reading some richard stallman essays and suddenly I feel like fighting the system. Will you please bend your early hiring process to my whims? Signed, berkeley bozo *hits send*

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
nah, amazon deserves to be shamed for treating people like that and it is the responsibility of people who go through those experiences to let the world know that amazon's HR practices can suck a dick

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

amazon is a prestigious cubicle farm you should be so honored to submit to their inspection

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

nah for real tho, i'm not gonna work some place that doesn't start from the assumption that I'm a professional adult capable of generally doing work and stuff

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

GL pulling that off on camera
"I don't have a webcam sorry"

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

St Evan Echoes posted:

"I don't have a webcam sorry"

*proctor moves mouse to new tab, opens amazon website, orders most expensive webcam using your saved payment information*

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

nah, amazon deserves to be shamed for treating people like that and it is the responsibility of people who go through those experiences to let the world know that amazon's HR practices can suck a dick

it seems that everyone who has ever worked at amazon says that it's a horrible meat-grinder company whether you are in corporate or packing boxes in a warehouse, so running people off early is doing them a favor.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

amazon is a prestigious cubicle farm you should be so honored to submit to their inspection
Their money is green

The_Franz posted:

it seems that everyone who has ever worked at amazon says that it's a horrible meat-grinder company whether you are in corporate or packing boxes in a warehouse, so running people off early is doing them a favor.
As many here know I've worked there and it is all of that and nobody should ever take a job there imo. otoh the problem of tech candidate cheating is way broader than amazon and their defensiveness against it is not what's wrong with the company

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 9, 2016

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
amazon's stupid hiring practice is actually a filter. if you aren't willing to put up with that, you aren't willing to put up with their lovely culture and treatment of employees, so you shouldn't work there anyway. consider it their way of doing you a favor and warning you how terrible they are.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah id believe that

also lol @ "rampant tech job applicant cheating", its almost as toxic as the "we have to drug screen welfare recipients" attitude

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if there's still a 25 minute line for the men's bathrooms in amazon hq

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've had phone interviews where I could literally hear the guy typing my questions into google and have him read me some answer from a website. upon deeper interrogation these things always fall apart because if they don't know the answer, finding it on the internet doesn't actually give them any insight into the details of the issue. any competent interviewer should be able to sniff this out easily.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

part of me is debating applying to smaller companies partly because I could use a raise cause I'm underpaid and can't rely on getting one (I also haven't interviewed in a long rear end time so practice helps), but in more general terms the companies would probably all be downgrades so it feels like why bother :\

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

lancemantis posted:

yeah id believe that

also lol @ "rampant tech job applicant cheating", its almost as toxic as the "we have to drug screen welfare recipients" attitude

i don't think it's rampant but it does happen. it happened to me: we had a contractor who gave us a fake resume and then (because the interview was remote) had someone else do the interview. the room was dark and you know, they looked similar enough that no one noticed he was a different person.

things got weird on his first day when he didnt know what a text editor was. within a week he'd admitted to me that he'd faked the whole interview process and then he got canned. it was weird.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

yeah id believe that

more like lol if you've never heard candidates read an answer off a web site

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
and lol if you didn't

a) call them out on it
b) just not hire them or even just wrap up that interview early

nope lets just take the passive-aggressive nerd option and just subject candidates, already anxious due to this being an interview and everything, to a panopticon that is probably as measurable in effectiveness as online advertising

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
During my phone interviews when they ask me a specific question that I don't know the answer to, I tell them I can google it real quick, but then explain to them what the significance of the answer is, and why I should care what it is.

For example, "what is the 4th comparison for the BGP path-selection algorithm?" It's a reasonable thing for me to be aware of, but I don't immediately know what the answer is, but in the REAL WORLD, if I were in a position that I needed to figure out why traffic was taking a specific path. I'd google "BGP Path-Selection" and then work my way down the list so that I could then intelligently decide how I want to influence that path.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

and lol if you didn't

a) call them out on it
b) just not hire them or even just wrap up that interview early

nope lets just take the passive-aggressive nerd option and just subject candidates, already anxious due to this being an interview and everything, to a panopticon that is probably as measurable in effectiveness as online advertising
you're thinking about catching one cheater in one interview. A company of Amazon's size has to catch them out of thousands

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Gazpacho posted:

you're thinking about catching one cheater in one interview. A company of Amazon's size has to catch them out of thousands

but it's at the cost of screening out all of the interviewees with self esteem

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the kind of self esteem that asks for money while refusing to prove itself, should be screened out

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Captain Foo posted:

i have a good + cool job

Sam e

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

the kind of self esteem that asks for money while refusing to prove itself, should be screened out

lol :discourse:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

maybe we should start having candidates start wearing some pretty pink panties during their on-sites

i mean if they really want the job at Such A Prestigious Company they should be willing to submit to whatever hazing we choose, for whatever underlying motivations we might have for them

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
if you're innocent you have nothing to hide

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lancemantis posted:

maybe we should start having candidates start wearing some pretty pink panties during their on-sites

i mean if they really want the job at Such A Prestigious Company they should be willing to submit to whatever hazing we choose, for whatever underlying motivations we might have for them

its harder to program with a boner. pretty good idea, like goku wearing weighted clothing? next tier should be programming while under the desk of a pantyhose-laden babe. senior positions bark out their codes while strapped to a st andrews cross in a spiked chastity cage and getting flogged/electrocuted by a cadre of latex clad hr millenial vixens. needless to say if you can master Pwning by Logic under those circumstances, the holiday rush will be a breeze. some strats i learned while getting my mba at pepperdine. hth

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if panty-wearing is specifically what the company is hiring people to do, sure go ahead

if programming is what the company is hiring people to do, then candidates shall prove that they can program

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i guess amazon is hiring people to answer easily google-able programming trivia while under surveillance

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
have a second phone under the desk and wear a bluetooth earpiece under long hair. checkmate

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poty posted:

have a second phone under the desk and wear a bluetooth earpiece under long hair. checkmate

*adjusting my loise brooks bob wig, straightening tie, spritzing binacca* Game time.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

kids on the bus loved binacca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

• Locked thread