Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ator
Oct 1, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

nah, amazon deserves to be shamed for treating people like that and it is the responsibility of people who go through those experiences to let the world know that amazon's HR practices can suck a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Only time I've been drugged tested was on hire both times in finance, not sure what's up with that. I've never had random drug-tests or anything.

cocaine

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Employers say I could be drug tested or poly'd (lol @ polys) at any time but neither I nor anyone in my group has gotten one in 10+ years :shrug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ciaphas posted:

Employers say I could be drug tested or poly'd (lol @ polys) at any time but neither I nor anyone in my group has gotten one in 10+ years :shrug:

administering polygraphs when youre not a federal institution is kind of admission you're grasping at straws and probably looks bad in court

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

are polys even admissible evidence anywhere in the US, i coulda sworn they weren't

e i feel like i asked this once here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah theyre super poo poo on everywhere except government. Nobody will poly you in a non-clearance civvie job

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
the only place i worked at that required me to drop was probably the most decent to work stress/demand wise, thankfully the recruiter gave me a heads up and some tips, beating drug tests is super easy when you're white

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tatsujin posted:

the only place i worked at that required me to drop was probably the most decent to work stress/demand wise, thankfully the recruiter gave me a heads up and some tips, beating drug tests is super easy when you're white

http://testclear.com

vetted by your very own jonny 290

thanks, Motorola

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

nah theyre super poo poo on everywhere except government. Nobody will poly you in a non-clearance civvie job

why do govt jobs do them? i know 'lol govt' but i 'm genuinely curious if there's more than that

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
probably because if they didn't it would be the final nail in the coffin that they are incredibly ineffective from a legal standpoint lol

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

trying to scare you into admitting you are a terrorist/like the kiddies/owe the mob $$$/anything else that could cause you to be blackmailed

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

why do govt jobs do them? i know 'lol govt' but i 'm genuinely curious if there's more than that

the polygraph machine is just a distraction. the real test is whether your interviewer is satisfied that you've told him everything that could possibly compromise you. if he thinks you haven't, then he gets to say your poly was inconclusive, and you have to do it again and again until he is satisfied

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Uhh lol govt goes a long way. I had a clearance but still couldn't get access to the production system for the program I lead for 18 months because lol govt. I quit before ever logging into production a single time. Felt good.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

The value of the polygraph is as a psyops tool. The real test is the interviewer and he is testing your trust. They are also completely shut-down by the 5th amendment. You can also stop at anytime if it were trying to be used for evidence, additionally it could be argued as a form of coercion, and therefore worthless for a prosecutor. However the government (when administering a polygraph) isn't gathering information to arrest you, they are trying to decide i you are the type of person who will lie, and what types of things you will lie about.

For example, when getting interviewed for a security clearance, the background check can be extremely thorough up to and including Men in Black talking to old friends of yours from high-school, or that one High-School teacher that hated you. If your old friend says you used to smoke weed in high-school with him, and then during the polygraph they ask if you used to smoke weed in high-school and you lie even though there is literally no reason to lie, that is going to tell them something about you.

As far as the efficacy of the "lie-detector" portion of a polygraph, it's basically an e-meter, i.e. useless.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Uhh lol govt goes a long way. I had a clearance but still couldn't get access to the production system for the program I lead for 18 months because lol govt. I quit before ever logging into production a single time. Felt good.

Never work for a job that requires clearance. Seriously.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Polys are all about intimidating you into being honest more than detecting any dishonesty (really the human reliability people are batter at doing that anyway)

im only on the hook for counterintelligence polys so its just a bunch of "are you a spy?" over and over, and luckily only in a random pool

some people end up on the hook for "lifestyle" polys and who knows what else that suck a lot more

I'm pretty sure my dept pushed back on having them at all for a while but obviously lost in the end

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

oh, I learned my lesson, frfr

did totally cop to drug use, and I had to talk to some FBI dudes, but no one gave a poo poo, including FBI dudes and whoever approved me

for amazing reading, check this poo poo:

http://www.dod.gov/dodgc/doha/industrial/2015.html

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like my workplace and my job and mission and everything but yeah clearances suck balls

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

http://testclear.com

vetted by your very own jonny 290

thanks, Motorola
wow, antique urine?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
how do you deal with providing professional references when trying to leave your first job in the industry when there's been literally 0 turnover at your company? my employment history after college is working part-time for 6 years, lucking into a job, and being p dece for 4 years. got an interview next week but they just sent me a web form to fill out with 4 required "professional reference" fields.

i got an upcoming phone call the day before the interview and need to know what my outs are here

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
List people you trust at your current workplace and people from whatever previous one you held?

They probably won't call them until later anyway when you'll care less, and nobody will risk the legal implications of making GBS threads on you

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

i do not and will not ever have production access because lol finance.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

personally I'm looking forward to my piss tests every 6 months and my working in an air-gapped facility

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Never work. Seriously.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Plank Walker posted:

how do you deal with providing professional references when trying to leave your first job in the industry when there's been literally 0 turnover at your company? my employment history after college is working part-time for 6 years, lucking into a job, and being p dece for 4 years. got an interview next week but they just sent me a web form to fill out with 4 required "professional reference" fields.

i got an upcoming phone call the day before the interview and need to know what my outs are here

do you have a few coworkers you get on OK with? Ask them first if they'll be a reference, and then put them down. It's basically admitting that you're job-hunting, but if you treat it like it's a secret then they probably will too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Plank Walker posted:

i guard my references jealously. every employer asks for them up front, but i demur until the offer negotiation stage. i don't want to burn out the people answering the phone for me out of the goodness of their heart

turns out most people don't actually care. asking for references is pro forma and almost nobody will re-ask post-interview, unless they're really on the razor's edge on this thing.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I sent my resume out for the hell of it to one place where I could do c# remotely, mostly just to get a sense of how strong it looks to other companies these days, and had a response (presumably from the CEO) within a few hours (this is pared down in spots so as to not copy it wholesale)

"interview process involves several steps...first step is a four hour project...at home on your own computer and using the tools you're most familiar with...two versions of the small project:

- backend project focused on basic data processing in C# using ASP.NET MVC.

- frontend engineering project where you'll be working with HTML/CSS/your preferred Javascript framework; requires a small backend API (preferably written in C#)

If your project is strong, we will schedule a project debrief with our team...will ask you questions about your code.

...final stage is a half day of interviews with our engineering team (each one 30-60 minutes)...will cover areas including your past work, programming fundamentals, skills required to work effectively in an engineering team, as well as cultural and mission alignment."

so I can use "the tools I'm familiar with" as long as it's what they say I should use. I haven't written a line of html/css/js in like three years and I've barely touched asp.net mvc, although I could probably figure it out, but this process is first four hours which is realistically 8-10 to do right if you haven't touched the framework, get grilled on said code, then get grilled further for half a day

interviews are garbage

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
if only there was some kind of institution you could go to, where you could be both taught, given assignments, and graded in a consistent manner

some kind of place of higher learning, that could give you some kind of award for matriculating successfully through some kind of program, and that award could be used to demonstrate your knowledge to others

but I guess we'll just have to continue with the chaos :shrug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol, just lol if people arent throwing job offers at you non-stop with no interview

lol at me.. lol at me indeed

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

lancemantis posted:

if only there was some kind of institution you could go to, where you could be both taught, given assignments, and graded in a consistent manner

some kind of place of higher learning, that could give you some kind of award for matriculating successfully through some kind of program, and that award could be used to demonstrate your knowledge to others

but I guess we'll just have to continue with the chaos :shrug:

if only a CS degree correlated in any way to being able to write code

you wouldn't hire a newspaper writer without asking for a writing sample. the problem is that you also wouldn't ask your potential newspaper writer candidates to write a novel or limit themselves to words under 4 letters or to reimplement shakespeare

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

jobs are for normal people

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

BONGHITZ posted:

jobs are for normal people
so not autodidacts

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Plank Walker posted:

if only a CS degree correlated in any way to being able to write code

that's because computer science has almost nothing to do with coding and barely anything to do with computers. unfortunately most universities conflate cs, which is really a branch of mathematics, with computing and software development, and so turn out graduates who are mediocre at both maths and computers

when there is a separate computing degree it's basically just treated as cs for people who didn't have the grades for cs

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

big scary monsters posted:

that's because computer science has almost nothing to do with coding and barely anything to do with computers. unfortunately most universities conflate cs, which is really a branch of mathematics, with computing and software development
this is a stupid old meme that could only be believed by someone who hasn't looked at a CS degree curriculum since the 80s

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

when there is a separate computing degree it's basically just treated as cs for people who didn't have the grades for cs

grades for acceptance? the trick is to transfer internally :eng101: you can be very mediocre and have a degree in miserable computers and it makes no difference out of school

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
CS teaches you algorithms and complexity, which are things you will need to understand when you're doing advanced software development. it does not teach you how to code or develop software. most graduates are bad at coding and will likely never use the knowledge they learned in school because who cares if the performance of your business java middleware garbage is O(n^3)?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The "CS is math and not computers" saw comes from looking at university CS programs in their most immature phase, when they really were just some random math courses thrown together for conveniences sake, and drawing the bizarre conclusion that that is what CS should always aspire to be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i suppose you mother fuckers are not only toward math wizards but coding maestros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gazpacho posted:

The "CS is math and not computers" saw comes from looking at university CS programs in their most immature phase, when they really were just some random math courses thrown together for conveniences sake, and drawing the bizarre conclusion that that is what CS should always aspire to be

no, that's exactly the opposite of what im saying. i'm saying computer science is a badly misnamed branch of mathematics, and should probably be renamed and taught by maths departments instead of engineering faculties or whatever. then have a separate course for programming and databases and networks and so on, call it computing maybe

i think part of the problem is that respected and influential universities don't like to teach purely vocational subjects, and so in a top 50 cs bs they force a bunch of students destined to be web devs and network administrators to learn a bunch of maths crap they don't care about, while also trying to teach aspiring mathematicians sql. and then they call that bizarre mishmash of a subject a science for some reason

• Locked thread