Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

big scary monsters posted:

no, that's exactly the opposite of what im saying. i'm saying computer science is a badly misnamed branch of mathematics, and should probably be renamed and taught by maths departments instead of engineering faculties or whatever. then have a separate course for programming and databases and networks and so on, call it computing maybe

i think part of the problem is that respected and influential universities don't like to teach purely vocational subjects, and so in a top 50 by cs they force a bunch of students destined to be web devs and network administrators to learn a bunch of maths crap they don't care about, while also trying to teach aspiring mathematicians sql. and then they call that bizarre mishmash of a subject a science for some reason

Where did you do your cs degree ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The CS department where I did undergrad was under the control of math faculty for decades and sucked as a result, only when it was transferred to the engineering school did it gain accreditation and start to deliver on its promises (eg in the compilers course students wrote a compiler and not an email parser)

e: of course the program still teaches mathematical theory, as accreditation requires and as it should, because the goal is not to unleash hundreds of brute-force coders on the world

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 11, 2016

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

top 50

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BSc CS

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

my bs cs

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's always huge lols seeing a computer janitor job posting where they say the ideal candidate would have a cs degree.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

no, that's exactly the opposite of what im saying. i'm saying computer science is a badly misnamed branch of mathematics, and should probably be renamed and taught by maths departments instead of engineering faculties or whatever. then have a separate course for programming and databases and networks and so on, call it computing maybe

all of these things already exist in universities, today, dipshit

• math departments will happily issue you a math phD with a concentration in theoretical computer science

• computer science departments freely mingle theory and application, and will consider both in a dissertation

• informatics departments are very much application-focused; to the extent theory is involved it's information science and library science, not mathematics

it's almost like being a yospos poster and computer programmer doesn't mean you're smarter than actual acaedmics?!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

triple sulk posted:

I sent my resume out for the hell of it to one place where I could do c# remotely, mostly just to get a sense of how strong it looks to other companies these days, and had a response (presumably from the CEO) within a few hours (this is pared down in spots so as to not copy it wholesale)

"interview process involves several steps...first step is a four hour project...at home on your own computer and using the tools you're most familiar with...two versions of the small project:

- backend project focused on basic data processing in C# using ASP.NET MVC.

- frontend engineering project where you'll be working with HTML/CSS/your preferred Javascript framework; requires a small backend API (preferably written in C#)

If your project is strong, we will schedule a project debrief with our team...will ask you questions about your code.

...final stage is a half day of interviews with our engineering team (each one 30-60 minutes)...will cover areas including your past work, programming fundamentals, skills required to work effectively in an engineering team, as well as cultural and mission alignment."

so I can use "the tools I'm familiar with" as long as it's what they say I should use. I haven't written a line of html/css/js in like three years and I've barely touched asp.net mvc, although I could probably figure it out, but this process is first four hours which is realistically 8-10 to do right if you haven't touched the framework, get grilled on said code, then get grilled further for half a day

interviews are garbage

that sounds pretty good from an interview standpoint.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's always huge lols seeing a computer janitor job posting where they say the ideal candidate would have a cs degree.

would you rather they lied to you and claimed that was not a preference?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

that sounds pretty good from an interview standpoint.

does it? i'm not gonna do a "four hour" project for free.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

would you rather they lied to you and claimed that was not a preference?

i mean, i'd rather they had reasonable preferences as to what constituted a good background for computer janitoring, but it's still nice to see when HR is clueless about what the position actually requires

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on one hand it's likely to be truer to your work than whiteboarding and doesn't pretend that resources don't exist, which is good. on the other hand, it looks to be the equivalent to a phone screen, but a way higher time investment on your end, considering it's the first filter you're hitting

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol code jobs and even computer janitoring hiring processes are getting even worse than management consulting

maybe because many of these companies are made of and trying to recruit from the same demographic

maybe they'll go full on explicit up or out soon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

um you should consider yourself lucky to be allowed to do anything at all

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I know a little HTML where's my sweet six figgie it job?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're not, as soon as they hire you they'll say "we like your design best, ok now build it out, you have 6 weeks"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Or they won't hire you but thanks we've had that little feature request on the back burner of our backlog forever

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
take home projects should clearly have no practical application. I'm not doing free work for you.

also you better have a pretty loving compelling position for me to even consider doing a take home project. if your recruiter hit me up and is trying to convince me to give your company a shot, there's no way I'm doing that.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Oh boy I got some good ones

- hipster newsql database startup that was literally described to me as "a loving rocket ship to kickass mountain" asked me what 2^16 and 2^32 was

- take home project that was "implement literally our primary product in four hours" upon which the engineer ripped it apart over the phone and accused me of name-dropping concepts that I'd given talks at conferences about

- big-name silicon valley company had an onsite interviewer just not show up, so they told me I had to come back down for an additional onsite with one interview

- edit: forgot about that enterprise company that you've heard of that wanted me to work on the CTO's pet project: a custom language implemented in PL/SQL and XML (???????)

i'm not exactly sure why I went to grad school but it was not for this poo poo

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 11, 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Management posted:

take home projects should clearly have no practical application. I'm not doing free work for you.

also you better have a pretty loving compelling position for me to even consider doing a take home project. if your recruiter hit me up and is trying to convince me to give your company a shot, there's no way I'm doing that.

to me the short of it is that I've never used asp.net mvc and it should be pretty clear from my resume that I haven't. otoh, I have worked on oss and there's virtually no reason I should need to do a take home when past work is publicly visible. if someone wants to question me on aspects of it, they can go right ahead, but I'd expect them to do that any way. the funny/lovely thing is that the job posting explicitly mentioned contributions to oss yet apparently they aren't even taking it into consideration when interviewing.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

holy lmao
imagine trying to hire someone without knowing all of their eye movements during the exam. how could you possibly vet candidates without that information

One of the people that came to talk to our ~Data Science~ meetup was from a company who did analytics like this--basically apply online to a job, it keeps track of everything from keyboard cadence to number of edits and times spent editing each question.

They claimed they did it primarily for general nurses in standard hospitals and they were able to reduce nurse churn (leaving for other hospitals) by a large percentage so if that's the only metric you care about apparently it can work!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dijkstracula posted:

- hipster newsql database startup that was literally described to me as "a loving rocket ship to kickass mountain" asked me what 2^16 and 2^32 was

- take home project that was "implement literally our primary product in four hours" upon which the engineer ripped it apart over the phone and accused me of name-dropping concepts that I'd given talks at conferences about

LOL

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I've been working for the same organisation for 14 years. job for life. suck it.

help me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what did they mean 2^16 and 2^32? adding them? i don't get how that tests anything other than knowing middle school level math

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's almost like being a yospos poster and computer programmer doesn't mean you're smarter than actual acaedmics?!

lol i am an actual academic and have worked in both cs and maths departments

you're mixing the postgrad and research activities of universities, where what you say is true, with bachelors degrees, where things are a shitshow

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 11, 2016

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

fart simpson posted:

what did they mean 2^16 and 2^32? adding them? i don't get how that tests anything other than knowing middle school level math
no like the conversation went:

<them> "what is 2^16"?
<me> "65536"
<them> "how do you know?"
<me, internally> "because I've programmed a computer before"
<me> (something about how it's 1024 times 2^6, which I know is 64)

<them> "ok now what is 2^32"
<me> "Four billion and change."
<them> "how do you know?"
<me> (something about how 2 to the 30s is in the billions, and 2^2 is 4)
<me, internally> "Because I once owned a 32-bit computer and programmed it once or twice."
<me, internally, quieter> "I don't think I'll continue talking to this company.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

Not adding them, knowing them from memory. Do you know the value limits of integer types or are you just going to overflow and give no fucks? There are jobs where that's useful to know.

e: "because it's the limit of integer types & therefore something to watch out for" is the correct reason btw, not the mere inevitability of arithmetic

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 11, 2016

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

Not adding them, knowing them from memory. Do you know the value limits of integer types or are you just going to overflow and give no fucks? There are jobs where that's useful to know.
(slides in waving a printed copy of the C standard like it's the constitution) well actually those value limits aren't specified anywhere so if you're not using macros imported from limits.h you're gonna get it at least slightly wrong :spergin: :eng101:

quote:

e: "because it's the limit of integer types & therefore something to watch out for" is the correct reason btw
Sure, but that wasn't the question that was asked. There's one correct answer to "what's, consistently, the maximum value of an unsigned int" which is UINT_MAX; and, there's one correct answer to "what's the maximum value of a uint32_t", which is "2**32 - 1". Maybe there's something useful to be learned about a candidate if they can or can't answer those outright, but there's no overflow bug that is going to be solved by knowing decimal representations of powers of two off the top of your head imo.

edit: in fact, I would say the worse thing to do is to assume that integer types are some size - as anyone knows who's had to port code from a platform where sizeof(void *) equals sizof(int) to a platform that doesn't, that's a real minefield if you get it wrong.

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 11, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The constants are to be used but they're also to be understood

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I've been working for the same organisation for 14 years. job for life. suck it.

help me

same but I wish 14 days

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

help me

getting there, a mix of :smith:/:gbsmith:/:unsmigghh:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lol i am an actual academic and have worked in both cs and maths departments

you're mixing the postgrad and research activities of universities, where what you say is true, with bachelors degrees, where things are a shitshow

i learned universities produce math phDs with concentrations in "theoretical" C.S. because i have to talk to those stuffed-shirt motherfuckers at work.

i had never heard of it until some twerp in his 20s started trying to explain why he wasn't willing to work on anything but proofs of concept in numpy. touching code was too squeeeeeeeeeee

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

why the gently caress not

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

oh ho ho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Gazpacho posted:

e: "because it's the limit of integer types & therefore something to watch out for" is the correct reason btw, not the mere inevitability of arithmetic

i understand that i just thought he meant adding them together which didnt make sense to me

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
"because it's twice 32,768"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i applied for a place where the interview process was "we pay you to come here and work on site with us for three days"

weird as poo poo but i had the time and my friend worked there so i figured hey, free plane trip back home anyway (where the job was), i'll give it a shot. and it was actually a fun three days and i got some real work done and the tech lead guy loved me, in the sense that he told me they'd be making me an offer, and this is the kind of guy who's word is god in an organization

afterwards, they asked for me to write them up some paragraphs about my time there, ostensibly only to help them understand the candidate experience. it was an obvious trap, so i bugged my friend for examples of previous writeups that got people hired and tried to do my best with it. what i didn't realize was how much of a trap it was: the thing gets disseminated to the whole organization (~100 people), and any of them can use it to blackball you if they don't like it, even if you're not on any teams you'll be working on or with, or even at the site you'll be at. which is what happened to me.

so i dodged a huge bullet but goddamn

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

raminasi posted:

i applied for a place where the interview process was "we pay you to come here and work on site with us for three days"

weird as poo poo but i had the time and my friend worked there so i figured hey, free plane trip back home anyway (where the job was), i'll give it a shot. and it was actually a fun three days and i got some real work done and the tech lead guy loved me, in the sense that he told me they'd be making me an offer, and this is the kind of guy who's word is god in an organization

afterwards, they asked for me to write them up some paragraphs about my time there, ostensibly only to help them understand the candidate experience. it was an obvious trap, so i bugged my friend for examples of previous writeups that got people hired and tried to do my best with it. what i didn't realize was how much of a trap it was: the thing gets disseminated to the whole organization (~100 people), and any of them can use it to blackball you if they don't like it, even if you're not on any teams you'll be working on or with, or even at the site you'll be at. which is what happened to me.

so i dodged a huge bullet but goddamn

lol that sounds pretty softball, what horrible poo poo did you end up writing??

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
at the school i went to computer science is in the college of natural science along with math, physics, chemistry, biology and other sciences. there is a separate computer engineering dept in the engineering school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

C.H.O.M.E posted:

at the school i went to computer science is in the college of natural science along with math, physics, chemistry, biology and other sciences. there is a separate computer engineering dept in the engineering school.

my degree's department was in the college of engineering, forestry, and natural science, op

• Locked thread