Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

computer engineering is where you turn physics into bits and logic gates and pile abstractions high enough to run an assembly language (mips. it's always mips)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
one of my friends went to a school where CS was part of the journalism department

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it should be based in janitorial services tbh

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

a guy that works as a barrista in the bar downstairs from my office i don't think ive ever spoken to is trying to add me on linkedin, is this how people get jobs these days?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

lol that sounds pretty softball, what horrible poo poo did you end up writing??

apparently I was insufficiently cheerleady in my assessment. I'm not really sure though, because they didn't give specific feedback beyond "your communication skills are not what we're looking for."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once I had a job interview and after 3 weeks I heard nothing so I called the dude and he said they found someone with a better personality and then as it turns out they didn't even hire anyone at all

:(

beaten by nothing at all

as it turns out though this guy is probably the worst person I have ever met in my life. his reputation for being the worst pharmacist in christchurch only grows by the day

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
stumbled upon this and having a hearty lol at the amazon apologists itt: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/325800/exclusive-amazon-workers-sleeping-in-tents-near-dunfermline-site/

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

my amazon interview experience was not bad at all but i was also interviewing for a fairly small team so maybe other teams are p bad
not sure i liked all the office doggos though
sorry office doggos

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Technical interview targeting C++ and networking protocols, what are the chances of not being a trivia quiz?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

echinopsis posted:

once I had a job interview and after 3 weeks I heard nothing so I called the dude and he said they found someone with a better personality and then as it turns out they didn't even hire anyone at all

:(

lomarf

but it sounds like you dodged a bullet there so I guess :cheers:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

Technical interview targeting C++ and networking protocols, what are the chances of not being a trivia quiz?

lol they're all trivia quizzes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
seriously "technical" interview is just code speak for "allow us to spend an hour or more asking you trivia/puzzles"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
my worst trivia interview was for a java position, this unkempt fat dude came in for a session and asked me stuff like "is there a limit on the number of methods in a java class, if so what is it"

my answers were along the lines of "I don't know but if I ever got anywhere near it that would mean I was doing something terrible" which didn't impress him

no it wasn't a java tools dev position

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MrMoo posted:

0%

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm waiting for the day i get some random algebraic topology question

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vodkat posted:

lomarf

but it sounds like you dodged a bullet there so I guess :cheers:

sort of. i ended up working for him in a different job and he hosed me over. now in recovery but chch is a small town as far as pharmacy is concerned and he is gonna reap what he's sown coz word is getting around how terrible of a person he is

i don't say this about many people but he is a bad person

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

lancemantis posted:

I'm waiting for the day i get some random algebraic topology question

or like "how would you determine whether two graphs are the same"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

a linked in recruiter pestered me three days in a row and got huffy on the third when I hadn't replied about a job for a solaris focused role. nothing on my resume indicates I know anything at all about solaris. love you linked in.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my technical interview for new job was one question: here is a design brief, let's spend an hour talking about how you would design the components and put them together

it was good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

did you then also build a prototype

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

did you then also build a prototype
no they were way more interested in how i thought and communicated my thoughts than in how I would sit and write code

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i get to interview someone for a junior qa role tomorrow. very excited about it.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

a guy that works as a barrista in the bar downstairs from my office i don't think ive ever spoken to is trying to add me on linkedin, is this how people get jobs these days?

ugh, its not unusual now but tacky af

my stepdads beer posted:

a linked in recruiter pestered me three days in a row and got huffy on the third when I hadn't replied about a job for a solaris focused role. nothing on my resume indicates I know anything at all about solaris. love you linked in.

lol that i get senior java/php dev jobs from recruiters and ive been doing UI design and dev for 8+ years and dont list those as major skills. one guy is going on three years of sending me useless jobs

burning swine
May 26, 2004

last time I got to interview somebody (for a java position), I asked him to explain the difference between a class and an object. He could not

management hired him anyway

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I had a recruiter contact me for a job I wasn't qualified for, I told him so, he asked me if there was anyway I could get qualified

...yeah let me just go back to college for four years, write certificates and work for ten years or so and call you right back :wtc:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

last time I got to interview somebody (for a java position), I asked him to explain the difference between a class and an object. He could not

management hired him anyway

lol even i can do that

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It was surprisingly low on trivia time, but it was 11am to 4pm with no breaks of coding on paper. An alloc-free vector, small packet optimized data store, recursive mutex, lockless stack, lockless single linked list, lockless double linked list, binary tree validation, binary tree serialization, and probably others my mind has frizzled on already, they kept feeding me puzzles and not food.

A few questions on SPARC details and even SunOS constructs, oh yay thanks.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 14, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Christ that sounds wretched

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MrMoo posted:

It was surprisingly low on trivia time, but it was 11am to 4pm with no breaks of coding on paper. An alloc-free vector, small packet optimized data store, recursive mutex, lockless stack, lockless single linked list, lockless double linked list, binary tree validation, binary tree serialization, and probably others my mind has frizzled on already, they kept feeding me puzzles and not food.

A few questions on SPARC details and even SunOS constructs, oh yay thanks.

What the gently caress

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

In other news I received a very long response on another interview, which basically said they like me but that I'm a terrible programmer. Then offered a contract instead of a W2.

:dance:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

you sound talented, not sure why you're getting stuck with all this poo poo. are you willing to relocate or just looking in a small area?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MrMoo posted:

In other news I received a very long response on another interview, which basically said they like me but that I'm a terrible programmer. Then offered a contract instead of a W2.

:dance:

do it, that's basically the new "probationary" hire. if you prove useful (you will because you have good taste in funny computer forum) they may hire you full time.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Clockwerk posted:

you sound talented, not sure why you're getting stuck with all this poo poo. are you willing to relocate or just looking in a small area?

It's because it's finance land and I'm more of a generalist systems engineer when everyone wants a savant computer scientist, or be willing to work in NJ. In non-finance land I don't have a resume of 100% Python or Java and it has been the same rejection on so many interview final rounds.

I have cool projects like the NYSE wallboards, some spiffy DB optimization working with MemSQL and Larry Tabb and everyone is excited and even taking notes about the DBs and stuff, but ultimately they are completely unrelated to the interviewing position.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 14, 2016

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
pyf responses to some of these ridic questions I got for a pre-interviewing screening

Some hedge fund posted:

1. What is the best operating system for personal desktops: OS X, Windows, or Linux?

4. Which private address space is better: 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

cheque_some posted:

pyf responses to some of these ridic questions I got for a pre-interviewing screening

1. Windows 10
4. 4.20.6.9

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

1. ChomeOS.

4. 172.31.x.x

gently caress, I think I've been asked these two too.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 14, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

templeos

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
openvms

6.66.53.x

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005