Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

i'm gonna get the figgies guys

as soon as they check my references and make sure i wasn't lying too much on my resume

congratulations!

the graybeards are probably already starting their "one of us, one of us" chant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FamDav posted:

also don't hire ex-Microsoft mgmt this is my biggest tip to any company

The Nokia Effect™

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Steve Jorbs posted:

Today I was speaking to a coworker that told me they are interviewing a candidate tomorrow and are trying to think of RANDOM WACKY questions to ask like, "Batman vs. Spiderman, GO!"

was your reply that this kind of question is illegal as it's not related to the job duties or qualifications?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shaman Linavi posted:

programming embedded showed me that you can simulate some kind of state machine by throwing an ugly switch statement inside a for-loop
at least i think thats what it was supposed to be

the for-case experience

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

understanding or seeking advice on tax laws is a duty of the citizen

if a company is supposed to be withholding taxes on an individual's behalf it's the company's duty to ensure they do so correctly, not the individual's

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

i mean just go be a librarian then or something.

good luck with that, librarian jobs turn out to be hard to find and tend to require an MLS to even be considered

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

there was a "$0" option, something I only knew because a guy on my team got one and he took the last 5 minutes of a technical presentation to throw it up on the screen and profusely thank our manager for the consideration

pro

loving

move

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

TerminalRaptor posted:

how common are non-technical development managers in a software company? I'm guessing not at all for obvious reasons.

exceptionally common

fortunately it's not really something my employer does: at least in the parts of the company I interact with, management can do line employees' jobs up through the senior VP level (and often has done them)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Facebook recruiters finally stopped bothering me after I said I don't want to work to an advertising company or a company when the users were the product

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

if you aren't subject to a drug test it's because your company doesn't make any real products at your facility :colbert:

lol or maybe it's because your company is too busy making real things to worry about bullshit like what you do for fun

also you might have an SVP who makes a weed joke during a product intro

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Arcsech posted:

we piss test on hiring but if we ever did it to existing employees we'd probably lose >50% of the engineers because we're in Colorado

ofc none of the managers care, hr is hr and insists

hr works for the company, if the managers actually run the company they should tell HR to go gently caress they selves and have more reasonable policies

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

lol if you think this ever happens

it sure does, I've seen it, around hiring stuff too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Classical Muzak posted:

You want to see some poo poo? I help maintain / write a ColdFusion MVC app.

In 2017.

Thank loving god the porting effort is going well.

is coldfusion still a thing that is being sold?

and do the people making it actually think it's good? like the small number of "MUMPS is our secret sauce!" idiot hellfuckers in electronic medical records do?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

best of luck to you!

what org?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

My dad used to do a 30+ mile commute from the far northwest suburbs to downtown daily on Metra, it was fine. Gave him a chance to read the paper and if you sit in the same place every day, you wind up part of a group of friends from all walks of life that'll last years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The Management posted:

Mountain View has these but they are beat-up old RVs. apparently some people figured out that instead of buying a $2 million house you can buy a piece of poo poo RV to sleep in and take showers and eat at work. and they are multiplying rapidly.

these are homeless people not tech bros

unless tech bros are driving up the prices on street-parked RVs now too

• Locked thread