Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hiring is really broken in tech and i think it strongly relates to why there's so little diversity. Its very cargo cult, with many companies trying to emulate microsoft/google/facebook/etc (basically "tier 1" tech companies), which have very broken hiring processes so the cancer spreads. I've been thinking about it a lot over time due to participation in my own organizations hiring process and finding flaws.

Much of the cancer boils down to:

a) not knowing what you're really hiring for because you havent taken the time to establish what you really need

or

b) not having any objective target in mind for your hiring because you think you want to hire a "flexible" workforce

The "b" option seems to be most common in the "tier 1" tech companies, the "a" option is just the drive-by you get with some other organizations from time to time. Either way, you end up with a very subjective hiring process, or if your organization likes to have a pretense of standards, what ive come to call a subjective by committee process. It all ends up being easily corrupted by our human cognative biases. The subjectiveness of it all seems like it correlates well with the statements from a (former?) google HR manager about how their hiring process may be no better than random choice.

Without any strong objective requirements for a candidate to meet, people will just generalize to what they think will make a good hire, aka a bunch of subjective proxies, or as I've actually heard it referred to by some ivy league business school recruiters, "signaling".

Signaling is nothing new to most people with respect to academic institutions and while not all programs are created equal, I'm sure most people would agree that just hiring from a select few institutions would be pretty horrible. Proxies are an easy way to filter though, so its going to happen still (the goog is well known for being especially amenable to Stanford students, at least the past). The same goes for work history "pedigree".

The other common objective-less hiring direction become "intelligence" or "aptitude", another somewhat nebulous concept that results in more proxies being used. IQ and standardized tests dont really exist (or are questionably legal) for most job positions, so groups or individuals just kind of make stuff up on their own drawing from their own history and ideas. The output of this in the "technical" interviewing space tends to be a bunch of puzzle questions with moderate to nebulous connections to computer science fundamentals or mathematics. Especially terrible are the questions that are trivia about something an interviewer is obsessed with.

The "aptitude" portion has become such a strong meme in hiring that a whole cottage industry has sprung up around it for "interview prep", because its just as gameable as standardized testing. It also means that candidates with greater access to these resources will be more successful, just like standardized testing.

tl;dr -- hiring is terrible and broken and of course a bunch of white dudes end up hiring more white dudes to the harm of everyone involved because diversity is important and easily overlooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i could want to hire and have criteria for both things, its not like those are mutually exclusive concepts

but i guess i should hire people for my math test taking company based on the criteria that they're cool dudes and seem to be like me *hires a thousand white dudes*

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

amazon suuuuuucks do not work for them or normalize their hiring process

whats the lovely toxic aspect of theirs?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

hahahahaha

i swear nerds massive, fragile egos are motivating a lot of this toxic garbage as well

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my six figure Salaried Bourgeois compensation is earned purely through grit and my entirely unique value for this company making CRUD interfaces, learned ex nihilo from years of watching anime unlike those loving jocks

everybody else trying to get this job is a highly suspect cheat, especially if i dont relate to them on a socioeconomic and/or behavioral level, or if they're from the incorrect ethnic group

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I can be randomly drug tested and polygraphed

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah id believe that

also lol @ "rampant tech job applicant cheating", its almost as toxic as the "we have to drug screen welfare recipients" attitude

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
and lol if you didn't

a) call them out on it
b) just not hire them or even just wrap up that interview early

nope lets just take the passive-aggressive nerd option and just subject candidates, already anxious due to this being an interview and everything, to a panopticon that is probably as measurable in effectiveness as online advertising

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

the kind of self esteem that asks for money while refusing to prove itself, should be screened out

maybe we should start having candidates start wearing some pretty pink panties during their on-sites

i mean if they really want the job at Such A Prestigious Company they should be willing to submit to whatever hazing we choose, for whatever underlying motivations we might have for them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i guess amazon is hiring people to answer easily google-able programming trivia while under surveillance

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Polys are all about intimidating you into being honest more than detecting any dishonesty (really the human reliability people are batter at doing that anyway)

im only on the hook for counterintelligence polys so its just a bunch of "are you a spy?" over and over, and luckily only in a random pool

some people end up on the hook for "lifestyle" polys and who knows what else that suck a lot more

I'm pretty sure my dept pushed back on having them at all for a while but obviously lost in the end

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like my workplace and my job and mission and everything but yeah clearances suck balls

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
List people you trust at your current workplace and people from whatever previous one you held?

They probably won't call them until later anyway when you'll care less, and nobody will risk the legal implications of making GBS threads on you

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
if only there was some kind of institution you could go to, where you could be both taught, given assignments, and graded in a consistent manner

some kind of place of higher learning, that could give you some kind of award for matriculating successfully through some kind of program, and that award could be used to demonstrate your knowledge to others

but I guess we'll just have to continue with the chaos :shrug:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol code jobs and even computer janitoring hiring processes are getting even worse than management consulting

maybe because many of these companies are made of and trying to recruit from the same demographic

maybe they'll go full on explicit up or out soon

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Or they won't hire you but thanks we've had that little feature request on the back burner of our backlog forever

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
one of my friends went to a school where CS was part of the journalism department

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

Technical interview targeting C++ and networking protocols, what are the chances of not being a trivia quiz?

lol they're all trivia quizzes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
seriously "technical" interview is just code speak for "allow us to spend an hour or more asking you trivia/puzzles"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm waiting for the day i get some random algebraic topology question

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

flip the script, op, quiz them on the trivia about their own industry

if you don't like how the interview goes, hannibal lecter speak them into suicidal thoughts afterwards

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah we just need to go FULL SALARIED BOURGEOISIE and let all the computer toucher children not even have to leave home to collect their phat six figgies

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i've only ever had one written programming test for employment

it was by an older company that had been utilizing computers since the early days and I'm pretty sure the test wasn't much younger -- it was pretty much a mock assembly test

here are your commands, plz write basic arithmetic, plz write loop, etc

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Agreed

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol labor laws in the US are garbage

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
plz post them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think my work has a good mission :shobon:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my old city used to have running and cycling events so yeah you could just participate in whatever corporate wankery suited your fancy/bourgeois habits

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there are dudes at my gym that like to wear khakis and polos and poo poo

also an old dude that liked wearing multiple belts

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

seriously lol@not sweating while lifting. lmbo if your gym isnt just a bunch of rusty olympic weights in a non-air-conditioned warehouse in a mostly-empty industrial area.

Uh the bump plates aren't rusty because they're covered in rubber

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my gym has bumper plates now its the best

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
dick size obv :heysexy:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really can't think of anything worse than interviews for developer positions anymore

just the false objectivity -- most other fields with lovely processes at least know they're being elitist selective assholes up front

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

this was not true for the phone interview i had with xilinx, which amounted to "recite some verilog without looking anything up first" and "what is the implementation for <thing> that I am thinking of? not the way you would do it, the way i would do it"

yeah its pretty much always this even if the popular opinion or even the one expressed by the interviewers is "just talk a lot about how your trying to solve the problem, thats almost more important than really solving it"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
interviewers are bad at these questions because they have trouble empathizing with the interviewees position of not being so familiar with the problem they're being asked that the solution seems trivial

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

interviewing is so universally poo poo. just keep going and bombing and then you'll randomly be offered a job. gently caress it

its pretty much this -- finding a job is a gamble, in many ways it always has been but its especially true with "technical" interviews now

Rex-Goliath posted:

they key is being referred such that the interview is just a formality

this only works for some companies

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
im actually kind of surprised I got my current job considering my background but i guess someone needed someone like me at the time

now i get to work on things that I otherwise wouldn't have had a chance at given my education and got to improve my education a bit as well

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Maximo Roboto posted:

are there any u.s. cities with a lot of tech jobs besides SF/NY/LA/Seattle/ATX

every city has "tech jobs" its just if they're the place you want to live and if its the job you would want to work (it probably won't be)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

C.H.O.M.E posted:

IDK about Seattle but Austin has offices for:

Dell, IBM, NXP, Apple, Intel, Samsung, Blizzard, National Instruments, Flextronics, Applied Materials, AMD, Amazon, HomeAway, Oracle, BAE, Cirrus Logic, Cisco, Bazaarvoice, EA, Facebook, Google, Indeed, WP Engine, Mutual Mobile, Rackspace, Silicon Labs, VMWare, SolarWinds, ARM...

Those are the ones where I know where they are, but there are also lots of startups that I don't know about because I never look at jobs in startups.

yeah but are these actual offices or just homes for salesmen and contract support types

Maximo Roboto posted:

Why do people always recommend CLRS for technical interview prep. Even for learning algorithms when in college it's like a thousand pages long and is mostly composed of mathematical proofs. Is the Algorithm Design Manual any good for brushing up for whiteboarding?

You don't really have to exhaustively read a textbook; its just a great reference manual for you to scan and find your weak points in or things you may have not encountered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

PM School, now offering courses in jira janitoring, phone dialing and buck passing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Management_Professional

• Locked thread