Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in my last interviews the only time I was asked to write a bst class it was just part of a tree manipulation question

he didn't let me go to an array representation to make the problem trivial :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

at least I was applying for a c++ backend position on that one

i can't believe people get those in depth algorithm questions for front end positions

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

have you never used a std::map?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yes. well there are other ways to do it but i don't think there's any reason not to implement a dictionary as a tree of some sort

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i got an email from apple guy and i should have a phone interview with them in the next couple of weeks!

apple is the only company that just stopped talking to me after doing multiple interviews instead of at least shooting an email. so look out for that i guess

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Raluek posted:

this was not true for the phone interview i had with xilinx, which amounted to "recite some verilog without looking anything up first" and "what is the implementation for <thing> that I am thinking of? not the way you would do it, the way i would do it"

these are skills that are required to use their products. checks out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stymie posted:

i wish i could get one of these cushy jobs where i just have to explain how i would solve a problem rather than solve it

are you actually applying to PM positions?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

lol indeed

the new branding is honest at least

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

arent you a pharmicist? in the us pharmacists can make six figgies just riding the counter at any walgreens and there's not nearly enough pharmacists to cover demand. how are you job hopping this much? is zealand novo really that different?

locums is medical speak for "contract work in the middle of nowhere for $$$$"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

this is what yospos actually thinks startups are like

the least realistic part of HBO's Silicon Valley is that the startup has a breakthrough technology

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

poor minneapolis, used to be big on the hardware front but no more

a lot of medical hardware still; that's all that was there other than 3m right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

so I may have accidentally emailed my boss/boss's boss/HR my signed offer letter instead of my signed notice of termination today

"accidentally "

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you should get a job as an FAE - then your job can literally be to write giant walls of text on forums on technical subjects

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

field applications engineer, aka customer support

note that this can be anything from phone support to contract development

the former will pay little, the latter a lot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

is there any way to get paid as much if not more than a dev, but not be a tech. generally the alternate suggestions are

* engineering management
* product management
* project management
* sales engineering
* technical writer
* recruiter

how do you even become a PM without going to school for it first

there's school for PMs?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol at needing 4500-7500 hours of pm work to be a pmp

looks like they sell a different exam if you have less experience

why bother specifying that you need a high school diploma though?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

every day I rue that the only things i learned from my algorithms classes were quicksort is the quickest sort, Dijkstra's is the best pathfinding algorithm, and just use hash tables for everything manggg

this does get you through 90% of situations where you need to know that stuff though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

in actual work, not for interviews

then you just need to memorize cracking the coding interview

google literally emails the PDF to you if you apply there

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

I want money, but i dont want to work. any thoughts?

PM

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jre posted:

Reported for hacking my linkedin account

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

nope. well, page 2 has literally a pile of buzzwords on it for database searches and that's it.

go all the way and throw in a sql injection if they're not going to read it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

even embedded is web dev now - just need one guy to figure out how to shoehorn node.js onto a armv5 and then everyone else can just write JavaScript that executes so slowly there's a 10s lag between a button press and your IoT light bulb turning on!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaman Linavi posted:

not sure if i still have the fed job i was hired for and i guess neither does the agency??
:rip: me time to go work on the farm i guess

in one of the c-spam threads a military guy was saying that new hires that had accepted offers but not started yet were being told they didn't have a job anymore

shits hosed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jre posted:

The director interview first is a bit of a red flag

title inflation means the director could just be the team lead in which case it's normal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but every idiot can be made a director so those regs apply to them. see VP at banks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

depends almost entirely on who else is applying and what they truly need out of the position

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

download the vm from cloudera and go through their tutorial using it https://www.cloudera.com/developers/get-started-with-hadoop-tutorial.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

My current job I applied for on a Monday, got a interview on a Wednesday, had a job offer on Friday, then didn't start for 8 months. :v:

defense industry?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

does ms even hire straight into senior?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Brain Candy posted:

always nod at what your customer claims is the problem and then try figure out what they actually need. always

its always an A-B problem. always

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

:cheers:

don't get me wrong, working in research is the best and having tried both i'd mainly rather do it at a university than a company. but making professor by 30 is starting to look less and less reasonable...

uh I assume you mean assistant prof

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

I don't believe this at all.

this is something a startup might do

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lancemantis posted:

being a small cog on an everything/nothing project in a large org can suck pretty hard too; imagine being responsible for everything and having layer upon layer of bureaucracy creeping scope on you constantly

or you can embrace the scope creep and go over to the sales or product management side

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

i can't figure out if espps are particularly worth it. unless you can drop very large amounts in i feel like it's better to just max out your 401k and save?

this is going to depend entirely on the details of what you can buy at

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Why is this anyway? Like 1/3 of my comp is RSUs and I just autosell it for cash. Why do large companies prefer this over equivalent salaries with no RSUs?

you have to stick around for them to vest and they're not a lottery like options are

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wouldn't cbp asking for someone to balance a bst require them to know what a bst is in the first place?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

he just said to balance a binary search tree, not write code to do it. you can easily construct that problem for there to be one correct answer

well 2 I guess if you don't specify which order

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

so what happens if you give a terrible but technically correct answer?

you've never dealt with customs I take it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

don't confuse apple employees with apple customers. apple is not a religion, it's a corporation.

at a google interview I pulled out my iPhone to show a picture of a project. i made a joke about it and the interviewer shrugged and held his iPhone up.

i don't think that would work at Apple with android phones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raminasi posted:

grey thread consensus is that all questions about past work are useless because candidates can just lie

solution: apply to be a sales engineer or product evangelist or whatever FAEs are called in the valley these days

then if they believe your lies it qualifies you for the job!

• Locked thread