Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Federalism is dog dicks. Instead of doing one thing one lovely, stupid way, you get it done fifty stupid, lovely ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

qhat posted:

The guy gave a situation of 4 threads in parallel but one of them has low priority, and he asked "what happens to the low priority thread?"
It fixes the cable.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

fritz posted:

didnt you just start there a couple months ago
If I remember correctly they're working at a startup (strike 1) on microservices (not always a strike, but strike 2) implemented in such a way that Mongo (strike 3) isn't the dumbest thing in it (umpire sets himself on fire).

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

hr were responsible for the flights, people with no social skills arranged the interview?
ding ding ding ding ding

The last time this happened to me it was all well and good before the lunch part, but when it came to the lunch part I couldn't participate in their conversations about fantasy novels and Fallout and all the other dorky poo poo they were going on about, so I eventually it was decided that I was not a Culture Fit. At least one of them audibly clenched his anus about brace placement, so probably for the best.

Also proof positive that your code grunts under management level should have limited input in the hiring process.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

So do we know what Stymie actually does?

My money is on senior software developer engineer at Uber, an MBA in MIS, and a former TKE brother.
junior assistant lot lizard

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

I was gonna guess a sophomore communications major
You might be surprised how much one follows the other. You shouldn't be, but you might.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I had one guy who joined a cult. That was fun. I was able to fob the other one off to support engineering.

I hated the admin stuff, though.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

tip: if you get any contact from JobSpring Partners, Work Bridge, or Seven Step, do not touch.
Whenever these shitheads email me, I send them one page of resume followed by fifty of "gently caress off'"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

qhat posted:

This happened to a friend of mine. Had ten years of industry but couldn't get a job at any big name company because a degree was a hard requirement in like 95% of jobs, so he went to university and landed a sick rear end position straight out.
Yeah, the industry has shifted. Instead of dealing with dropouts and mutants, you have to deal with shitheads who got their hands held through four years who can rote their way through quicksort but can't make sense of a stack trace.

It's why I hosed off out of California. It's like lawyers in Memphis.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

Java, C, and C++ are my strongest languages. How likely is it that an employer would say that's good enough for an entry-level C# gig?
We prefer a B average to consider you for employment, but a C++ might be good enough. The Java experience is a plus. How much experience do you have with react dot js?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

More interviewing and job hunting horror stories, less being lovely about LGBT issues, guys.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

jre posted:

there's worse things than react my posts
surprisingly enough react is worse so r my posts

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

*prefers to develop in Spring, but has no on-job Spring experience to show, so takes a job developing in Bespoke Frankenframework to pay the bills*
This is almost exactly what I'm doing right now, except I bullied them into rewriting their bullshit into something workable.

So many Frankenframeworks over the years, though. So many.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Classical Muzak posted:

You want to see some poo poo? I help maintain / write a ColdFusion MVC app.
:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Oh, thank god I don't need to do any more interviews for a while. One more linked list and I would have poo poo on the conference room table and set the place on fire.

• Locked thread