Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
I just got a paid software engineering internship at a defense contractor last week (first "real" job) and holy hell I feel like I'm way over my head. It's a sea of acronyms and procedure and while I have a general idea of the system I'm working on, I got to look at some of the code yesterday... gently caress. Definitely a new league. I'm definitely willing to put in the effort to try to understand that poo poo and help out though because the pay is pretty great for an internship and I get my own office.

It was probably one of the easiest jobs I've ever interviewed for though. Applying was literally just two clicks on my university's jobs posting page, and a few days later I got an email from their on-site HR lady asking me to come "talk to them and get to know each other" (they deliberately tried to down play that it was an interview.) The interview consisted of their HR lady, the engineering manager, and a (the?) senior software engineer. They asked about what classes I've taken, if I'm familiar with C++ or C#, where I see myself in 5 years (fuckin lol), if the defense industry interests me, if I had any personal projects, which I then geeked out over some lovely little raspberry pi based weather station piece of junk I slapped that's been collecting data since this past January. I guess they liked me enough because the next week the HR lady called and said the company was offering me the position till the end of the year with the potential to have it extended if there is the need. After that it was just stacks of paperwork, a piss test, and now I'm on the pay roll.

God help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

you're an intern no one expects poo poo from you

I was at work for 2.5 hours today and the only other person I even SAW was some new chick who popped in my office for about 60 seconds to introduce herself. fuckin lol

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008

TheToxicEuphoria posted:

I just got a paid software engineering internship at a defense contractor last week (first "real" job) and holy hell I feel like I'm way over my head. It's a sea of acronyms and procedure and while I have a general idea of the system I'm working on, I got to look at some of the code yesterday... gently caress. Definitely a new league. I'm definitely willing to put in the effort to try to understand that poo poo and help out though because the pay is pretty great for an internship and I get my own office.

One month-ish check in. The acronyms still suck but all the important ones have managed to stick in my head and I can hold halfway coherent conversations about projects on occasions that I am brought into one.

I figured out why the code was such garbage on the first project I was given... They made it using a graphical programming tool called IBM Rhapsody and they wanted me to basically take the Rhapsody part out of the code it generated. Fuuuuck that. When I finally handed over the final project after commenting out hundreds of lines and having to write stubs for half the poo poo just to get it to compile, dude got this look of shock/horror when I told him it would compile but not link. Apparently I did way better than anyone expected? Fuckin weird to me considering how shittastic and awful the thing looked when I was finished with it.

Current project involves expanding capability for an emulator we use to test one of the systems the company has a contract with. gently caress GUIs (Windows Forms.) Also I never realized C++/CLI was basically its own language so I've been cramming that into my brain for most of the week so far by using .Net 2.0 on Visual Studio 2008 :emo:

• Locked thread