Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

actually, interviewing and job hunting owns because it's the best way to get a 40% salary bump

and if you don't think this

you should do more of it and then you end up pretty pro-af at interviewing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

so that candidates can't cheat for the 60 minutes of a test? sure

if your hiring process is so bad that you might actually accidentally hire someone who is enough of an idiot to cheat on an employment screen test just lmao

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

amazon is a prestigious cubicle farm you should be so honored to submit to their inspection

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

nah for real tho, i'm not gonna work some place that doesn't start from the assumption that I'm a professional adult capable of generally doing work and stuff

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

the kind of self esteem that asks for money while refusing to prove itself, should be screened out

lol :discourse:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Uhh lol govt goes a long way. I had a clearance but still couldn't get access to the production system for the program I lead for 18 months because lol govt. I quit before ever logging into production a single time. Felt good.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Never work for a job that requires clearance. Seriously.

oh, I learned my lesson, frfr

did totally cop to drug use, and I had to talk to some FBI dudes, but no one gave a poo poo, including FBI dudes and whoever approved me

for amazing reading, check this poo poo:

http://www.dod.gov/dodgc/doha/industrial/2015.html

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

raminasi posted:

i applied for a place where the interview process was "we pay you to come here and work on site with us for three days"

weird as poo poo but i had the time and my friend worked there so i figured hey, free plane trip back home anyway (where the job was), i'll give it a shot. and it was actually a fun three days and i got some real work done and the tech lead guy loved me, in the sense that he told me they'd be making me an offer, and this is the kind of guy who's word is god in an organization

afterwards, they asked for me to write them up some paragraphs about my time there, ostensibly only to help them understand the candidate experience. it was an obvious trap, so i bugged my friend for examples of previous writeups that got people hired and tried to do my best with it. what i didn't realize was how much of a trap it was: the thing gets disseminated to the whole organization (~100 people), and any of them can use it to blackball you if they don't like it, even if you're not on any teams you'll be working on or with, or even at the site you'll be at. which is what happened to me.

so i dodged a huge bullet but goddamn

lol that sounds pretty softball, what horrible poo poo did you end up writing??

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

irl answer, i usually just leave things at whatever the router came configured as cuz idgaf.

:hfive:

I have this one friend (who is a renter lmao), who literally paid to run 240? (whatever i'm not a nerd idk) power to his garage, so he could install a rack with a blade server and all this other poo poo. i guess he has like a personal cloud thing and shares movies on his LAN

like what the gently caress is wrong with you where you want to gently caress with that poo poo not even for free, but AT COST TO YOU? your pagerduty on call schedule wasnt enough??

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

your house already has 220/240v power installed. it doesn't cost any more to get a new 220 line to your garage than it does to add a 110 circuit. it's just running a cable to the breaker box and installing an outlet.

you know you're getting disturbingly serious about your home computing habit if you try to wangle a 3-phase setup in your garage. that's when you gotta start worrying

nobody's house comes pre-equipped w/ 3ph

yeah, like I said, I'm not a (that kind) of nerd -- he spent non-trivial money hiring someone to improve the server-room situation in a garage he doesn't even own :psyduck:

retro computing is cool and poo poo, I understand people that run mainframes or old curious things.

but running an obnoxious thousands of dollars headache so you can play movies on your tv in a harder way....

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

My last I interviewed entirely over Skype. Current job I knew one of the founders vaguely beforehand... otherwise would have also been entirely remote interview.

hell yeah 201x is livin in the future

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

raminasi posted:

my friend interviewed at google and one of her sessions was via hangouts but it was glitching and they had a hell of a time getting it to work right. his final question was "so if you were to work here, what kind of stuff would you want to do?" and she said "well, i'd probably try to fix hangouts."

he didn't like that answer and they didn't make her an offer.

hangouts is the best, but goddamn is all conferencing software garbage

at least hangouts just works in the loving browser without a bunch of java applets and perpetually updating downloadable apps and poo poo

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

protip: anywhere that makes you take a proctored exam will also make you want to literally end your life in short order

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i got an email from an apple recruiter like 3 weeks ago and gmail decided it was a social media email and didnt give me a notification. loving thanks google. hopefully he's still willing to talk to me.

recruiters are definitely known for being super fickle and selective so

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i specifically declined a goon offer for a job reference there because dc ppl just can't stop murdering queers. wtf dc.

:ok:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

or just work remotely and live wherever you want and work wherever you want :shrug:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

mid-size companies are great, especially if they aren't household names and their industry is just "necessary business poo poo" rather than something inherently exciting

:yeah: i really just want to work on mediocre business poo poo!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

jre posted:

Wouldn't you rather be pulling all nighter crunches working for doober ( uber for dogs) in return for sweet sweet worthless equity

this is what yospos actually thinks startups are like

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

so I may have accidentally emailed my boss/boss's boss/HR my signed offer letter instead of my signed notice of termination today

Really just a higher form of the same thing

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

DuckConference posted:

yeah spend all day responding to people asking "please do my job for me. I know nothing and will read nothing"

customer engineering can be kinda fun for this reason

it's like having a bunch of mediocre peons who will do whatever you tell them (shittily, but still)

you gotta do all the thinking, but they'll faithfully fumble through the executing

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

HN who's his hiring + the yc alumni job posts are all pretty good. Weworkremotely is good for remote.

No job sites have zero poo poo-tier jobs tho, so do your homework. No pun intended. :riker:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Elysiume posted:

a dev that is productive as 10 normal devs put together

When you put it that way it's a p low bar

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

also new jobs are inherently less boring than old jobs

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

phoenix is p bad, but az is cool, especially tucson

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

reminder for our readers: never disclose current salary

1000% / or literally lie

if you absolutely cannot stomach saying 'no' awkwardly a few times, then your current salary is your minimum signing salary. if this isn't technically true to start with, find a way to convince yourself that it actually is: 'well my flexibility around scheduling is worth 10k, and i like my boss like about 10k so 100k salary + 10k + 10k = 120k = my current salary is 120k'

anyone that tells you lying about your current salary is unethical or mumbles some poo poo about your w-2 blah blah blah is 1) a piece of poo poo and 2) a (loving) idiot

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Also I agree that it doesn't really matter who says a number first *if you know what you're worth + what your limits are*.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

does hired.com do remote now? I think they didn't whenever they started out

I've sent some *almost* regrettably snarky drunk responses to Googbookazon recruiters about remote work sort of recently :getin: Not looking, but hardpressed to pass up dunking on people.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well, on the one hand, you will almost certainly be caught in the lie.

"background checks" at my last two jobs required me to provide tax records because my prior employers wouldn't discuss my salary. both times this weirded me the gently caress out but there was no getting around it. (naturally i provided W2s instead of complete tax returns because holy lol who do you think you are?)

on the other hand, will anyone care that you lied? i don't know. seems dangerous.

it's much easier to just not say anything. why lie when you can simply refuse to discuss it until after you've begun dickering over offer details?

Lol, I would literally refuse to provide my tax records. That is only being asked for to gently caress you over on salary. No thanks?

Anybody that actually 'needs' my tax records for a background check (i.e. the FBI, for a real clearance) can actually get them without my voluntary involvement.

I mean yes: absolutely refuse. Most people are giant babies though and slight awkwardness = immediate cave. We all feel it, don't deny it.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mostly, :hfive:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ask her for her salary, the CTO's salary, and the cap table

if we're all "straight shooters" then we should be able to get down to business immediately, right?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

passed a tech screen, then shortly after the congratulatory email an updated message notifies that the position is on a hold for budgetary reasons. lol well

lol, I have had to-date 3 jobs fall apart between "we want to make you an offer!" and an actual offer letter. "actually we just combined departments and now the new vp wants to offshore that group" "hiring freeze" and "just hired this guy we've known for like 10 years instead unexpectedly"

job hunting is garbage

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

the way you phrase "not working on anything" it's like you can't imagine a system so large it would require more than a few days of study, or a product timeline longer than a month

yeah

like it's easy to commit code, it's hard to go from zero to grokking the full architecture and design of a big system, it takes a while, you will not ever be productive right away on a nontrivial thing

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

my linked in used to say that my title was 'computer whisperer'

I get far fewer profile views now that I've changed it to something professional

I used to have a funny linkedin title and it lead to some really fantastic recruiter emails like

"Hey 69, How are you enjoying your Computer role at Whisperer?" i.e.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

including not having a return parameter on her method

lmao

I mean, I have flunked people who loving melted down in whiteboard interviews, because yeah I do kinda want to hire people that have a modicum of pulling their poo poo together to talk through a problem

but still, lmao

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:agreed: there are good things about white boarding, and yeah it literally is realistic because sometimes you have to talk to other people to solve problems

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Accept both offers. Actually work at which of the three jobs you want the most. Collect 3 paychecks as long as possible.

This works a lot better with remote jobs. One day I hope to goad someone into actually doing it.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

do 3 even if it is scala

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I keep tabs on my failing last job as ppl quit and they run out of money and will soon start laying people off. I bear no malice to anyone there but lmao at the whole failing thing

They're down like 5/40 peeps in <1 year

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yo budgeting rules, I paid off all my and my wifes student debt in about 16 months after just minimum paying for a few years. Almost debt free hell yeahhhh. All about that budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Learn this one weird trick to get your finances in order! Creditors hate this!!!!

Unironically this. Is your household grosses 50k or more, and you can't save 20k over a few years, you aren't poor, you are poo poo with money.

• Locked thread