Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I 'passed' a lovely times hackerrank challenge once, just declined to proceed further and told them to fix their poo poo interview process. I'm sure they didn't.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The Management posted:

I just got a great offer in another city. on a pure numbers basis I have to take it, but considering moving the wife, buying a new house, leaving everything I have going here does not sound like a good time. remote work is not an option. I will probably have to turn them down and I will probably never again see an offer like the dump truck full of cash they're offering me. poo poo

end e/n post

The heck did you apply/interview then?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

all recruiters are garbage fyi

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lemme check my sources on this...

oh...

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

all recruiters are garbage fyi

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lol if you work for a startup and don't get paid figgies

any company that isn't a shitheap or a pyramid scheme run by scammy bizbros will pay pretty drat close to market PLUS equity. the equity makes up for the relative uncertainty + your presumed dedication to the cause, not as an excuse to underpay

the only people who should ever be ramen-poor are founders, and they have a corresponding upside

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

zen death robot posted:

I aced my fist and only interview after being unemployed for a month and a half on full severance and got hired at a significant raise from my old job. having a niche set of skills owns sometimes

cool cool so you got mad time to fix the ghost post on terrible programmer thread right?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

also congrats get figgies

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

zen death robot posted:

it's because you're a fundamentally lovely person

actually the best burn itt

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

job posting includes the word "whining"? holy poo poo abort abort

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Home office supremacy

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I did it, guys.

I found the largest resume.

16 pages long, including a full essay about how much they love Linux, and it even includes a full diagram of this guys home network along with hostnames.

JFC.

if you need someone to build physical servers for you: hire them immediately

if you don't need that: trash immediately

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

at least that is my experience with those sorts of people

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Elder Postsman posted:

wtf is an annual bonus

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

nah just playin, i actually got a bonus this year, I think for the first time ever

startups :getin:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ADINSX posted:

Not only do we not get a bonus, but I heard through the grapevine that HR was thinking about eliminating the policy to back-date raises (i.e if you had your annual performance review late feb and it concluded you deserve a raise for the year, they'll pay you the extra for the nearly two months you've worked) because "people get depressed because their paycheck goes back to normal".

That's the closest we get to a "bonus", basically our late pay in one lump sum, and they're thinking about getting rid of it... presumably raises would just take effect in march.

Its a really dinky company.

not backdating raises is incredibly lovely and an excellent incentive for your company to gently caress you over

:sever: if they do it

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

old job did profit sharing with a formula like: 25% of profits split evenly among employees, 75% of profits split on a months-worked seniority basis that capped at 3 years (it was like a 5 year old company, probably this would change)

I thought it was a ncie and fair way to do it, too bad they have trouble making a profit now lmao

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

proclick https://aphyr.com/posts/340-acing-the-technical-interview

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

agile is good for bad places

and bad for good places

makes u think

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

jony neuemonic posted:

who cares? you're leaving anyway.

protip right here

it's usually not SUPER easy to get fired, just be kind of poo poo for a bit, it'll take a while to be a crisis

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yeah it takes a long time to get a good job, or rather it likely does

its easy to get A job, its harder to get a GOOD job

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The Management posted:

I'm drained and I didn't even do any work today

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

your username really improves many of your posts, but had to eq cause :same:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

money is a prison. seek happiness

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

kdrudy posted:

Yep, I got sent the study guide for the Amazon tech test and kindly told them i was no longer interested. I especially liked the recommendation to start practicing coding without an IDE for the week prior since they expect syntactically perfect code for their whiteboard portion.

Also the last section of the study guide was just links to good press Amazon has gotten recently.

lmao

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

echinopsis posted:

"what young people need is discipline"

This, except full grown adults, and ironically

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

once when I worked at retardo lockheed martin a manager (not mine) emailed my manager to 'tattle' that I was wearing jeans on a non-Friday. My manager didn't really care, but I swear to god this is the email that was sent:

From: some idiot
To: My manager
Subject: VYO69 in Jeans?
Body: Is today casual day?

They weren't real surprised when I left, despite getting an A+ perf review

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lol if you have to commute

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

Cities are good

cities are good if you have a lot of people, but people are really bad, so its kind of a catch 22

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shaggar posted:

irl high score tables. that rules

haha good sir i have ruined my keyboard spewing forth the carbonated beverage which was in my mouth

your humor is truly unparalleled!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

If you don't quit and go to a new job every 3 - 5 years for a 50% bump in pay, you are doing it wrong in today's world.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

update: at the job I was on my way out, they just fired the entire ops team. our bus factor is now -1, nobody knows how our production environment works, and they guys they fired told the CEO i could figure it out

do i ask for a 30% or 50% raise?

lol real question here is why did they fire an entire team

1) why did they actually do that and 2) why did they claim they did that

also lmao

FrozenVent posted:

so the fabled six and a half figgie is 316k?

people who are bad at math use 'six and a half' figgies to mean they make 150k

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

semon demon posted:

hello fellow nerds didnt read the thread but after 3 lackluster interviews i just got a job at a place that uses things like source control and technology newer than classic asp and i couldnt be drunker or happier praise stallman

congrats, asp sucks, drinkin 4 u

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I had some European agency asking me for my banking details on the first application form, about ten years ago.

I was like uh gently caress no

also pictures because racism I guess

headshots + bio details are normal some countries

it is very awkward when you as an american page through those resumes 'what the gently caress? why is this guy telling me he's 5'10" and married?'

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

dont touch computers

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Iverron posted:

HackerRank not showing why a test failed in the middle of a timed interview quiz is highly stressful.

protip when they send you a link to a hackerrank send them back an email that says "we've decided to take this job search in a different direction, thanks for your time, dont email, peace"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

the housing costs in nyc are soulcrushing so I dunno. not a huge fan of pulling the 4-person family in a 1br-1b on a four story walkup scenario

how many figgies?

living in a 2br-1b walkup would be a totally reasonable thing an upper middle class computer toucher 4 person family would do in NYC

CoL is a retarded equivalency because dumb people do the math like: 'I live in a 3k sft house, my mortgage is $1500/mo thus in NYC I would need to pay $15000 a month for 3k sft in SoHo, I make 70k, thus I should make 700k in NYC' :riker:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

my manager had recommended that i keep it physical so that it doesn't end up getting forwarded around

i implemented that suggestion

lol what the gently caress? who would you email it to except your manager??? are they just afraid they cant contain the secret business

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

if you're unwilling to just hire an obviously smart person for the job and give them a shot at picking it up you are not actually that desperate

I think you mean smart not desperate

I'm the job req that needs 4 years experience but not competence or intelligence or aptitude

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

150k total comp is only what? 110? 120? in cash

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sniep posted:

it's deece money op

yeah it is most definitely deece, but its not like 'HOILY WOW 150 TOTAL COMP'

  • Locked thread