Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mishaq posted:

commuting and parking for your office are not business expenses

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch04.html

sorry about your terrible life choices living away from functional transit in a city that apparently has it, hope the mcmansion was worth it

ok, i'll bite, which one city in the entire country do you deem acceptable to live in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

1 exceeds and 4 meets across 5 asinine categories and 2% but they were upfront it wasn't a raise

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

FrozenVent posted:

what the figgies to dollars conversion rate again?

10figgies-1 = dollars

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Munkeymon posted:

Chicago is gr8 and all but I wouldn't leave MSP for it without a big raise

how is the programming up there? i'm about 1.5 hours southeast at basically the only tech company in this town and eventually i'd like to move up to the cities

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

hobbesmaster posted:

it's orders of magnitude better than bumfuck, Wisconsin

it's not Seattle, SF, NYC or LA but 3m and target (they hire a surprising number of developers) are HQ'd here. MS and Amazon have presences. historically there were a ton of tech companies founded in the 60s since Honeywell and Cray were massive and brought a lot of engineers to the area

ah okay, that's not bad. i'm not too unhappy with my job atm but i think i'll get bored of the town much quicker so that's good!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lmao if your deploy is anything more than uploading packaged binaries to a repository

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol granny deployin

shippin binaries instead of prs to ci/cd-integrated build repos like your supposed to

i'm sorry, please rephrase your answer in a form that would make sense in 1998

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Twerk from Home posted:

i lost track but isn't this a flyover state job? "north of $150k" is good when $400k buys you a luxury house in the middle of the city

i love how committed to the "everything outside of pittsburgh is flyover country" this forum is. boston is flyover now, seriously?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

values competent

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(eat-poo poo computer-nerds)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

leper khan posted:

I screwed this one up at the current job; I've been tagged as the expert on about a dozen things.
:smith:

i would be this if the guy across from me wasn't a better self promoter

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Management posted:

I had an hour long shared coding interview with these guys. after silence for a month, they decided they want to continue. their recruiter called me this morning and when I told him I was not interested in continuing he hung up on me. an hour later I got this:

lots of red flags here.

desperate and incompetent, that's a no

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

in my day we marched right into the office in a suit and asked the first person we saw if they had any senior technical leadership positions open

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(lambda anecdotes)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Leck posted:

sql is crazy useful, and it boggles my mind every time we hire a new person who's never touched sql before, whether they're a new grad or someone with 10 years of dev experience. like, how many dev jobs are there that never interact with a database?

runtime dev, frontend app dev, really anything where you aren't on the same system the data is on, operating systems...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ShadowHawk posted:

Never took a CS class. Frequently don't know some algorithm that "any freshman would".

Working in this industry anyway, doing useful work and getting paid.

why the gently caress is ignorance a point of pride?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Symbolic Butt posted:

lol at credentialism

that's not what i was talking about and you know it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it's okay if you don't know theory but don't act like you're better than other people because you don't

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

there is, of course, a difference between a page that isn't a reactive js-infested mess, and one that still has a marble texture background and 10px-border tables

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

code:
func addOne(_ num: Int) -> Int {
    sleep(UInt32.max)
    return num + 1
}
turns out O(1) is actually slow, check and mate cs losers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis autodrag posted:

i need to know more to decide if that was bad. if it was just "print the numbers in order" then am iterative calc-and-forget approach is better

if it was "and make it efficient to call multiple times" then iterating and storing each step in an array is better but at least there if you're using recursion you're not creating as much unnecessary overhead as when you don't need to hold onto the data for later.

or am i overthinking it already? i tend to do that.

fibonacci was the classic example of "the simple recursive algorithm is extremely inefficient O(2^n), much more than the iterative algorithm" when i took those courses. if you aren't memoizing in some way, it's just terrible, and it's not a bad test to someone to mention that, at least with some hinting.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 29, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

FamDav posted:

O(n2^n)

addition on unbounded numbers isn't constant time friend
e: lmo said it better than i could have \/\/\/

carry on then fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 29, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

FamDav posted:

big-o doesn't imply that addition is constant time, thats just the model of computation you happen to be using when calculating it. when its relevant you should consider the cost of the operations, because for example there is an O(n) solution and a O(log n), but the latter requires multiplication

i can't find a single piece of literature which provides O(n2^n) as the answer for "what is the bigO of recursive fibonacci". source?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis autodrag posted:

he's depending on the fact that adding very large numbers larger than the processor's native addition requires an additional algorithm with its own complexity.

ya i'm looking for a source that lays out why its imperative we consider that for this, because as far as i can tell, the bigO of recrusive fibonacci is said to be O(2^n) in the general case. i'm really just curious.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

hobbesmaster posted:

I had to google "is bubble sort ever a good idea" and the answer is "yes if you're using drum memory"

since they asked about a good punch card sorting algorithm vs a good drum memory one I can only conclude that he somehow got transported to the 70s

according to my grandmother radix sort is how they used to sort checks by hand

p neat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis autodrag posted:

i mean, the two options i know of are either using a bucket (which itself may be a hashtable, array, linked list, whatevs) or doing the thing i can't remember the name of where you put the collided value into the next nearest available index (possibly incrementing by some amount >1 in your search). but afaik the tradeoffs end up being super specific to the use case and most of the time your still better off with the standard library version in whatever lang you use because they are less likely to have hosed up the basics than you are.

yeah the term i've heard is open addressing. ideally you want to increment by a number that guarantees you'll check every cell in the table eventually but not sure how imperative that is

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Symbolic Butt posted:

you guys expect people to review computer science concepts for interviews, but you don't expect them to showcase any code that they're proud of.

you guys are part of the problem!

Symbolic Butt posted:

you guys expect people to review computer science concepts for interviews, but you don't expect them to showcase any code that they're proud of.

you guys are part of the problem!

you cannot be serious with this post

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis autodrag posted:

fun story, here in wisconsin when you legally change your name you have to run an ad in your local paper for three weeks stating your old and new names and that you are changing it. i assume this has something to do with people in 1894 changing names to avoid debts but it's fuckin' onerous nowadays.

:stare:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

AWWNAW posted:

um please don't torpedo a job at apple over some salary negotiation

like wtf, most terrible programmers would suck off a dog

to be negotiating with them though is a drat good sign, like i genuinely believe i will never be good enough at what i do to work at a place like that. you've got something special, go get paid

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

godspeed you! figgies goon

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis autodrag posted:

now i have to practice using os x because the last apple product i used was an ipod classic in 2008

don't get frustrated because some things seem counterintuitive compared to windows, like apps not closing when their windows do or the close button being on the opposite side, you get used to the differences

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

"web engineer"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

qhat posted:

Sure I'll look at it if I'm interviewing a candidate in person and I want to find something interesting to probe them on, but not for more than 15minutes or so before the interview. And to be clear, I'll be looking for actually impressive contributions, not dogshit sideprojects that were abandoned after a week of development, which is 90% of githubs that get submitted.

how many hours per week should developers devote to side projects?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

so what does the ideal programmer interview look like, then?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

he wants programmers to take an in basket test

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

when i hear "parser" i imagine it must basically be a compiler and also be provably correct for all possible inputs. how do you put that together in 3 hours?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis autodrag posted:

like are we talking just "read this text and put it into a data structure" or like "please make an ll(1) parser" because the first i could do easily though with likely bad performance but the latter id have to brush up on a gently caress ton of theory for.

wikipedia says ll(1) is easy, what's the problem? :smug:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Iverron posted:

The closest thing to programming whiteboard interviews I've heard of in other semi well paying professions is having to do some sort of presentation.

Seems like there's a clear standards gap that's letting through enough terribles that doesn't necessarily exist in other industries. IIRC Uncle Bob likes to talk about how we'll be forced to close that gap with <Government Certified Software Guild> after a dev or two kill a bunch of people with a bug someday.

someday?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

my worst interview nightmare is to be interviewed by a yosposter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Management posted:

jfc this thread.

this is it. nobody is asking you to write a complete, perfect, optimal general purpose parser. just answer the question. write the right code for the question. code that runs reasonably well and doesn't break on the obvious corner cases. make it simple. think about the implementation. describe the issues and your approach and why you decided to do it this way.

the question as written here was "write a parser for html." my first inclination is to get the spec and start implementing and not stop until i have every statement and stipulation accounted for, because i'm not familliar enough with it in that way to know what the obvious corner cases even are. normally i just write html and if the browser renders the page wrong or the validator raises an issue i fix it.

• Locked thread