Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if you need prospects to find a job, talk to your union rep or your other union colleagues to see what's available

when you go in for the interview talk to the foreman and tell them of your experience, relevant certifications and other foremen/workers you've worked with, it's easy peasy

*buffalo bill voice* oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

please post the correct weight lifting routine

Doing Labor

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OldAlias posted:

lol on topic. we all do labour here, yospos is the digital labourer forum

incorrect

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i always enjoy seeing a new person on a job site that obviously weightlifts

they universally have zero stamina and crap out after a few hours of real work and rarely turn back up the next day, never for a third

i'll take a guy with a beer belly who can put in a day's labor over a gym rat any day of the week

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wish i could get one of these cushy jobs where i just have to explain how i would solve a problem rather than solve it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

if you can tolerate working in finance there's charlotte which has bofa and wells but lol at living in a carolina

or you can tolerate working for bofa deez nuts

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the best thing about programming is that it's distilled problem solving, so it's satisfying at a nerdy technical level even when the subject matter is mundane. if you don't agree then how did you manage to get through school?

i've never heard "problem solving" used as a euphemism for masturbation before

MOM DON'T COME IN I'M PROBLEM SOLVING

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm an actual worker

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
6 months is reasonable for an apprenticeship position before you can start doing more in-depth activities and a year or more before you can move on to journeyman

it's quite telling that computer touching jobs are fundamentally the same whether you start "working" in the first week or after a year

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bhodi posted:

I've been doing this for 15 years and every single year I meet someone who drops it a notch lower than I thought it could go

you're so close, just keep going and you'll recognize the truth

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the stock market functions by having a very large pool of very foolish people buying at all times

if you are not trading in very high volumes at very high speeds you are one of those foolish people

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the only thing more soul-sapping and dehumanizing than working in a cubicle or closed room would be working in an open plan office

either isolation and disconnection or constant chatter and paranoia

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

zero. if you work at a place where people do this, get out

this is what i've been saying all along

get out of the tech industry

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mega agreedo that half life 2 is a bad game

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thank you

nmn found the source and some kindly goons avatar-sized it for me (i can't remember exactly who, unfortunately)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i lust for living in an odonian society on another planet

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's definitely worth emphasizing that programming is not a skilled profession on the level of an engineer or tradesman, anyone can learn it and do so with a minimum of effort

the excessive compensation for programming positions is not indicative of its difficulty or value, so don't let that intimidate you if you want to pursue an easy way to earn money

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
having a personal or company vehicle is essential when you have to transport tools or other materials to and from a job site and most real companies accommodate this as part of business expenses

but given that we're not talking about real jobs here, i'm okay with not allowing programmers to have personal vehicles for any reason as their work is non-essential (or actively harmful)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drug testing for computer touching jobs is a weird choice

basically it's like saying we're going to check your boots for particulates of poo poo before we have you roll around in poo poo all day and get paid way too much to do it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

people frequently forget the other side of dunning kruger, which is that competent people underestimate their own abilities.

dunning kruger kind of breaks down when there's no meaningful difference between competence and incompetence such as with computer touching

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sapozhnik posted:

dont touch computers [...] for [...] figs

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Twerk from Home posted:

just got an offer for more money than i asked for. what now? ask for even more? lol

insist upon the number you originally quoted as a point of ethics

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my goth gf posted:

it was this guy

huh, today i learned that "bin" is javanese for "versus"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
kudos to red hat for working to bring computer toucher salaries down to a reasonable level

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's important that we hire only the most top-flight candidates with extensive experience to code our enterprise-grade fart apps and monitor our largely automated servers

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
computer science has very little to do with the former and nothing to do with the latter

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
computer science is closer to statistics than actual science

in that statistics is a highly systematized methodology for creating and disseminating falsehoods

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's worth noting that some of the advice in this thread is intended to actively sabotage others' chances at getting a job because it helps eliminate competition just fyi

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
getting salty about your preferred way to have plausible deniability for excluding women and other "undesirable" candidates is really not a good look

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
and when you're done with the programming question, pray that the interviewer happens to like you/your gender/race/nationality/schooling/etc. because that's what will be the deciding factor rather than glorified trivia

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RISCy Business posted:

"i don't pay attention to dumb nerd poo poo" is a powerful answer deserving of respect

mega agreedo especially applied to programming questions

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
crafting your interviews to try and weed out candidates with "fake" credentials is essentially tacit admission you weed out indian/pakistani applicants because you don't think their schooling is good enough/are racist

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThePeavstenator posted:

*Nodding Sagely*
Yes if it weren't for the technical tests, all these non-white candidates wouldn't have expereinced any racial discrimination at all during the hiring process!

the technical tests are plausible deniability

i have heard from multiple people about their hiring practices is that they, by default, assume their indian and pakistani applicants all cheated to obtain their certifications and memorize common answers to technical questions and that they craft their interviews to catch them giving memorized answers

odd that it only seems endemic with indian and pakistani applicants and not the parade of dumbass white dudes who just happen to be stanford grads

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OldAlias posted:

there is a problem with cheating and it's complicated. you have an extremely competitive environment (was reading an article that said 1500 vacancies at a bank received more than 17 million applications) and a burdened educational system that favors rote memorization. this doesn't make it right to discriminate based on race, but these hiring practices exist for a reason as you need some way to filter through people, even if there are glaring systemic issues and cultural bias

why is cheating a problem?

who cares if the person coding your fart app or enterprise fart database might have cribbed some notes to jump through an arbitrary hoop?

if they can't do the job, then you can fire them and hire someone else from the other 16,999,999 applicants

technical tests only exist to filter out people who may have passed the initial sniff tests (e.g. their name sounds white enough and they went to the right school)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
why is anything you're doing more important than giving someone a shot to try and learn?

it must be genuinely terrifying to live life as though the world is filled with greedy charlatans seeking to take what you've obviously earned entirely on your own

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm still stuck on how a skills test is more racist than literally any other part of the hiring process.

because it's easier to produce evidence that an applicant didn't pass your (arbitrary and rigged) skills test than any other reason because you'd have to justify why all your "poor culture fits" all had indian or pakistani last names

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AnoHito posted:

no you see clearly the part which has an objectively correct or incorrect answer has more room for discrimination than the part where they just talk to you for like 20 minutes and make a gut call on whether or not to move forward.

lol i bet you are a strong believer in iq testing

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bloody posted:

that might work in ditchdigging but in skilled professions it turns out knowing things matters

that's the thing: these tests don't actually test if you know anything

they test if the person administering the test wants the person taking the test to pass and subsequently provides a cover if any uncomfortable questions about the people that weren't hired come up

the only way you know if the person you hired can do the job is if they do the job

also lol at programming being "skilled"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wish any time a programmer described their profession as "skilled" a pipefitter was there to brain them with a wrench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gosh it's not as though we've already had examples in this thread of interviewers using ridiculous minutia in their skills test to weed out candidates that may not have the exact same schooling that they've had (i.e. including a method they can use to disqualify a candidate whenever they choose while maintaining the illusion of objectivity)

• Locked thread