Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i know it's often wishful thinking but every now and again companies get sued when their hiring practices are questionable

things like "skill tests" are methods to insulate companies against such things, and it's pretty pathetic when they get defended as being anything but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
no because the 10% still assumes that programming is a "skill"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

power botton posted:

what is it then

the closest comparable act would be masturbation

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
borat voice my wife

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qhat posted:

Firing someone in the UK is a huge pain in the rear end. You have to be able to prove that they were truly hopeless even when presented with an opportunity to improve, or else you're open to unfair dismissal charges. Sounds like a great idea until you realise that people get warned and then improve and then go back to being dogshit 6 months later and the cycle repeats.

lol it really must make things tough when one of your coworkers doesn't give it their all coding enterprise-grade fart apps

basically you're a megachump if you care about someone else's work performance if they aren't in danger of killing someone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm really not seeing the connection between sleeping with someone's wife and not being trustworthy with assets

unless we're considering a wife an asset in which case get some loving perspective you creep

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ADINSX posted:

I think there is an unspoken trust I have in all my friends and coworkers that they won't sleep with my wife and if that trust was broken I'd have good reason not to trust them with other things

what does your wife think about that, since it would be her decision and not yours

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

havent heard a peep posted:

I am filled with hatred and being a laborer is 100% to blame. Lol thanks Stewie it's great that your attendance is 100% but I produce 250-300% of the end product that you do every single loving day over the course of 52 work weeks. Get hosed and gently caress the company for not paying us piece meal I loving hate it here. Something I wish I would have said to that employer after month one of building and testing arcade cabinets.

you worked too hard and it's someone else's fault somehow?

sounds to me like you're a megachump

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ADINSX posted:

It would also be the decision of the person sleeping with her, and like I said, I trust my friends and coworkers not to make that decision even if she's into it

oh okay, you're not involved in that process in any way

then perhaps you shouldn't act like it's a betrayal of you since you're utterly uninvolved

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"i expect my friends and coworkers to not steal my possessions, like my wife"

i guess if something goes missing in the office and you suspect a coworker, better keep ol' wifey away lest her heart be stolen away as well

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

that's right when your wife and friend sleep together it's not a betrayal at all

yep, you've insinuated yourself in a situation where you have no involvement because two consenting adults made a choice you don't like

perhaps the problem is when you view a partner as a possession and deny them the agency to do as they wish because otherwise they might get "stolen"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qhat posted:

How many times has anyone here had to explain poo poo to an interviewer because they are dumb and apparently didn't know basic things about their own job, and still received a job offer?

let me guess: after you did this, everyone stood up and applauded

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thank you to jraph for the qhat probie, that guy makes super duper bad posts and we all needed a break

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dislike button posted:

it's also a field that is overwhelmingly female and I'm quite sure this has something to do with how hr is viewed and treated now

as evidenced by this thread that is largely bitter angry men who a woman dared to challenge even trivially

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah basically if you can't explain what you do, it's not because it's beyond the ken of mortal men, it's that you don't know how to communicate or teach properly

being good at teaching is a learned skill just like anything else and if you haven't bothered to learn it, it's your problem when you can't explain things effectively to others

this is one of the manifold reasons why "smartest guy in the room" syndrome runs rampant in tech, dorkuses don't bother to learn how to talk to other people and they think it's a failure on the part of others

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
here's a very quick, accurate and precise way of explaining tech jobs: "i leech money from the productive sectors of society to enrich myself and degrade society as a whole"

easy peasy

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
don't worry, eventually all the tech companies will adopt unlimited vacation policies and then you won't have to worry about your vacation time because it'll be de facto impossible to take time off

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShadowHawk posted:

When you do finally decide to retire, you have a moral obligation to take a job at one of these companies and just go on vacation forever until they fire you, then let some contingency lawyer sue them over it.

let's not go too crazy talking about morals, slumlord

you might not like the conclusions people reach

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShadowHawk posted:

I am already well aware of the conclusions people here reach about how it is immoral to provide housing. I am quite comfortable disagreeing with the lot of them, whether they're arguing that they must protect the 1950s "character" of the neighborhood, or that they are entitled to an ocean view unobstructed by housing, or that it should be illegal for two adults to share a rented bedroom.

charging rent to your flopmates isn't "providing housing" no matter how much you think it is

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's fortunate that computer toucher companies are stacked with fygm libertarians that make it impossible to unionize because computer touchers don't deserve to belong to a union

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

9-Volt Assault posted:

Companies make more from your labour than you do.

in the case of computer touchers, however, companies make money from no labor at all

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schadenboner posted:

I can never remember which corner on the mirror these are supposed to go. Bottom car-side right?

the best method i've heard of determining where to put them is to basically study where you look in the mirror when you use them and then place the mirror where you look the least

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
one of the most important aspects about any candidate for a computer touching position is the ability to lie, both to yourself and to the world at large about what you do

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

incorrect

if you have good job where you do honest work you never need to lie

your employer will know if you can do the work, and you never have to deceive yourself that what you do has value

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm not going to explain why black people might want a guy who empathizes with their problems when it comes to law enforcement to be in charge of law enforcement.

IDK what happened circa-2014 to snap David Clarke's brain in half but for a good decade he managed to not be whatever he is now.

offhand i'm going to guess getting a taste of the conservative gravy train

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i had a job offer where my future manager left me a voice mail asking me if i was going to reply to the emailed job offer and he figured out, in the course of the voicemail that he had sent the offer to the wrong email address

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the important thing to remember is that you know precisely how everything works after only three weeks and, being the smartest person in the room, everyone else should instantly acquiesce to your plans, no matter their level of experience or authority

be sure to really drive that point home, people are always looking for a fresh perspective from a someone that's not even been there a month

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh cool now we're on to the part where folks complain about having to pay their taxes

remember to refuse that pay raise if it would put you in a higher tax bracket!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Janitor Prime posted:

gently caress your victim blaming

paying taxes isn't victimization

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
zynga should do a lot of things differently, but the fact is the employees still received taxable income so it's their responsibility

if it makes you feel better, you can believe the taxes are going to pay for increased oil sands drilling instead of paying for social programs

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
maybe the zynga employees should get together and spend more on a court case to get zynga to pay than they would have paid in taxes anyway, as a matter of principle

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol at assuming tech workers aren't willfully ignorant

buddy, i've got some really bad news about that

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
look, we're trying to be outraged about the indignity of paying taxes here, the amount doesn't matter

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Janitor Prime posted:

I'm actually indignified that even though you trust your taxes are being withheld by the company you're still held responsible for their fuckups. I mean it ultimately boils down to "the indignity of paying taxes" like you said, but there's no reason it needs to be this stupid and having the government go after that money from the individuals when it should have been the company's responsibility and obligation to collect.

Because I'm in a bad place in my life :smith:

then let's not frame this as anything other than a bookkeeping mixup and not some sort of inconceivable injustice of biblical proportions

taxes didn't get paid, and now they're going to get paid, the timing may be inconvenient but that's the worst than can be said about it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

if the employer says its a free perk and i end up on the hook to just pay for it through taxes, i am bot going to be worning there for long because who knows what other stupid mistakes theyve made that ill be on the hook for.

its 100% the employers fuckup and employees should not be on the hook for it.

if i didnt get a bonus to make up for it and an apology i'd be quitting asap.

they still received the income and it's unfortunate that they didn't understand that it was income, but they're still liable for paying taxes on their income

they'll pay the taxes, and the problem is solved, many of them have already moved on from zynga but that doesn't alter the fact that they received the income

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

yeah theyll pay it, but its still a problem that their employer created and left the employees holdig the bag for in a lump sum, which is beyond lovely and completely incompetent.

it should 100% have been withheld.

i guess the real tragedy here is that some computer touchers got screwed for once, instead of doing the screwing

somehow, i think they'll get by

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

the lesson is dont work for zynga.

if i had already left and i got that bill, id be looking through my old employment contract for any mention that these perks were free and 100000% suing them.

lol yep, there it is: spend more on a lawsuit than you would have on taxes owed, that's the answer all right

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

if im gonna be spending that money anyway, id absolutely spend it on a lawsuit.

lol if you are so poor you dont have a probate lawyer on retainer who can handle this for you for a couple billable hours.

or just pay the taxes you owe on your income, easy peasy

you can whine about the unfairness of having to pay taxes all you want, but just pay them and move on

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the great part about having a real job is you don't have to make up stories about the work you've done every time someone asks you why they should keep paying you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
do the honorable thing and let the av buyer get their money's worth, it's only fair

• Locked thread