Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

i moved from nyc to seattle for amzn with the lump sum option which was unnecessarily complicated. the total they gave me was 10k split in two. first 5k was deposited immediately, but i didn't receive the second 5k until 2 months later, and it was taxed so I actually got less than that as well so I still had to pay out of pocket when the first 5k ran out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

i didnt appreciate the cs education i had until i came in contact with devs who didnt have it in the real world

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I've always started a question by verbally explaining the obvious brute force solution and giving its runtime & space complexities, and going "Okay, so I know I need to do better than that. Do you still want me to code it up on the board?" It's a nice mental warmup and clears any confusion you might have with the specifics of the question. Straight up coding the brute force solution might be waste of time and the interviewer can think you just commit to the first thing you think of

One interviewer once asked me a quite simple question, and I coded up 3 separate solutions, and even found a 4th one with a small hint. Then the rest of the interview was discussing the pros/cons of each solution and coming up with scenarios in which one would prefer one solution over the others. It was really fun

• Locked thread