Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

big scary monsters posted:

no, that's exactly the opposite of what im saying. i'm saying computer science is a badly misnamed branch of mathematics, and should probably be renamed and taught by maths departments instead of engineering faculties or whatever. then have a separate course for programming and databases and networks and so on, call it computing maybe

i think part of the problem is that respected and influential universities don't like to teach purely vocational subjects, and so in a top 50 by cs they force a bunch of students destined to be web devs and network administrators to learn a bunch of maths crap they don't care about, while also trying to teach aspiring mathematicians sql. and then they call that bizarre mishmash of a subject a science for some reason

Where did you do your cs degree ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BSc CS

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I lead a team that were fairly widely dispersed and we used hangouts which helped but still

fart simpson posted:

yosposter doesnt understand the value of actual face to face human interaction.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

mishaq posted:

hft should be illegal

* finance industry apologist crashes through doors, runs in knocking over chairs , out of breaths says * "Actually"

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Plank Walker posted:

you can always do what one of my excoworkers did and lobby hard for projects in areas you want to learn, half-complete them, and leave the company for the job you want, forcing everyone else to pick up your slack

:owned:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

poty posted:

hmm im getting mixed signals

Seriously don't do it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i would like to work in The Culture please

Today I'm going to gland "gives a gently caress"

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Management posted:

nobody cares about what your answer is here as long as you don't say anything negative. you are "looking for a new challenge" or "eager to learn new things and explore how other industries do this and that" etc. don't mention money and don't say you hate your job, you were passed over for a raise, your boss was a dick, etc.

there are a surprising number of idiots who will answer this with "oh, I didn't get along with my coworkers" or "my boss screwed me and that place was a mess". this is an easy filter question to get rid of people who are stupid enough to say this.

I used to never believe anyone was stupid enough to flunk this question till I started interviewing.

:byodood: All the devs I worked with before were idiots and didn't appreciate my brilliance

* writes "not a good culture fit" and circles till pencil breaks *

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Rex-Goliath posted:

the sweet spot for happiness & compensation & all the rest is generally at the mid-size company level. small enough so that you don't disappear into corporate ennui but big enough that they actually make money and the life of the company won't be in your hands on a daily basis

mega :agreed:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

:yeah: i really just want to work on mediocre business poo poo!

Wouldn't you rather be pulling all nighter crunches working for doober ( uber for dogs) in return for sweet sweet worthless equity

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bloody posted:

so I may have accidentally emailed my boss/boss's boss/HR my signed offer letter instead of my signed notice of termination today

:drat:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bloody posted:

it was a genuine accident but also genuinely owned

notice.pdf != signed.pdf

Not so much burning bridges as napalming

Congrats on the new job though

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Elder Postsman posted:

this was me two and a half years ago! and then it turned out that a 50% raise was still massively underpaying me by like 20k, lmao.

:catstare:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Agile Vector posted:

'when will you finish this story?'

*makes sharepoint gesture*

'eventually!'

lmfao

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

St Evan Echoes posted:

a 10x is one that everyone else spends 90% of their time cleaning up after

Aye lmao

hey guys I did this thing in 1/10 of the time it would have taken you by writing poo poo code with no tests, with an architecture that will buckle at more than 1 request/s

jre fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 16, 2017

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I do actually know one guy who is on a completely different level to everyone else,and can produce amazing elegant code in hours. He earns a dece 6 figgies doing research for google

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i nailed it to the wall

go get those figgies, friends

Offer ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ahmeni posted:

*kicks down the door* hello INSERT NAME HERE! didn't read anything but I have a wonderful opportunity for a position half your current salary in a language you used once 7 years ago. Benefits include: a desk, a ping pong table needlessly close to said desk. Remote working is forbidden because the CTO believes in ghosts. Please send me your CV so I may pretend to have read it in our interview. If this position is not for you, feel free to ruin your relationships by forwarding it to your colleagues.

Reported for hacking my linkedin account

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

devmd01 posted:

so I did a director interview before Christmas, a team interview last week, and now they want to have a follow up phone call with one of the team members tomorrow? I'm glad I'm still in contention but what the hell, the first two should have been enough.

The director interview first is a bit of a red flag

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

devmd01 posted:

director of it infrastructure, not exec level.

Director is a specific role with legally enforced responsibilities in the UK which appears not to be the case in the US then. I've seen places where director has to micromanage every hire and its a :redflag:

Appointing a director requires submitting documentation to companies house for example, so its not an empty title here.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Management posted:

I had an interview on Monday. yesterday morning the recruiter notified me that they want to make an offer. now we get to have the compensation talk.

How much extra are you going to ask for being the oldest person on the floor ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

tests are loving bullshit. if you want a problem solved, you state it as clearly as you possibly can, you don't hide your assumptions and definitions in the preamble. if you want a problem solved, the person who's supposed to solve it should be able to ask others around them for help, at least in figuring out "from what we know of the question-asker, what are they looking for?". all my brother ever needed was to a few minutes here and there to get help in what the hell the question was driving at. I can't think of any work environment at all where that wouldn't be possible. there is no reality at all in the bizarre concept of a timed, right-answer test.

Ochowie posted:

That's not how problems work in the real world. I don't know what company you work for, but I don't get clearly defined problems with all assumptions and definitions predefined very often. Sometimes, it's not even possible to talk to the person who submitted the problem to be solved because that person might be able to provide anything more than a vague description/not be available for a discussion of a problem. There are legitimately bad standardized tests that people can be bad at taking (the GMAT comes to mind) but stating that someone is bad at tests because they're actually bad at problem solving is something completely different.

Yeah, bullshit trick questions are annoying, but if you can't apply knowledge to anything other than the original textbook example you saw you don't actually understand it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

darthbob88 posted:

Agreed. As I told my last recruiter, I can find fulfilling and interesting problems on my own time. I can't get fat stacks on my own time.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

coffeetable posted:

this option has a massive upside and you can structure it so it has minimal downside. you can leave your wife

:same:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Phobeste posted:

i wish hr people were in general more amenable to figuring out a way to schedule phone interviews for either lunch hours or after business. I'm dead set on leaving my current place but I still want to give them the time they're owed while I'm there

Ah yes, make your interviewers miss their lunch or stay late. This will definitely ingratiate you to them.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

PCjr sidecar posted:

checks out, they are friends with you so they clearly have poo poo judgement

#rekt

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Bloody posted:

parking: exactly as important as treating women like people

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Munkeymon posted:

laptop with a Xeon badge
:owned:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Munkeymon posted:

hey I didn't pay for it

I think it's just an overclocked i7 with the IGPU disabled? whatever - it's nicer than my desktop

No you just have to carry it and listen to the fan noise

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ratbert90 posted:

I make a shitload of money though.

life's far too short for that poo poo

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ratbert90 posted:

nah, last year I took a full months worth of vacation days and still made shitloads of cash.

Lmfao

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

semon demon posted:

hello fellow nerds didnt read the thread but after 3 lackluster interviews i just got a job at a place that uses things like source control and technology newer than classic asp and i couldnt be drunker or happier praise stallman

:yotj:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

FMguru posted:

its the same reason sending a thank you email after an interview is such a good idea -

A what now ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's been loving impossible to hire a platform (devops) engineer in boston. salary is awesome, the company is well known and great to work for, the role is cool, and we're doing a ton of sweet greenfield stuff with distributed systems but can barely get a nibble. idk wtf.

Either the salary isn't awesome or your company is well known for having a toxic culture.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blinkz0rz posted:

usually i'd agree but we've been through that but already and lowered our sights significantly

idk my point is that hiring can be just as bad as interviewing

So it's toxic culture then ?

Why aren't people turning up for our 7am / 8pm interviews ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

hobbesmaster posted:

I suspect there aren't many experienced true devops guys in Boston

No true devops :scotland:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blinkz0rz posted:

i mean i don't think so :shrug:

Well, you're trying to hire in a major city, not paying peanuts and no-one wants to know. You don't have some stupid 5 interview & take home execise process ?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Management posted:

lots of :redflag: :redflag: :redflag: here.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Hiring has not been their #1 priority given deadlines
Massive lol at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not really

adding people slows the project down, ideally temporarily (over the course of weeks) but brooks wasn't wrong and people don't still read his poo poo for fun

Hiring right now is loving brutal, and if you're letting a good hire get away because you read the mythical man month last week, loving lol

• Locked thread