Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
well, that interview went pretty well, especially given they said "you need to know ios really well" and i had to sell "i've learned a lot of difficult platforms really fast, i can get up to speed."

fyi eschaton, they might ask you to show them my posts, lol. i warned them that they're full of swearing and bad grammar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

you mentioned your posting in a job interview?

they asked if i had written any tutorials for a non-business audience and that's all i had, lol. i had to say "proprietary" and "non-compete" a lot

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ya, i kinda got cornered because they kept asking various questions to the tune of "what examples of your work can we see" and the answer is "none" because it's all proprietary and i don't have time for extracurricular coding.

edit: i dont know if you can tell but my current gig was my first job where the hiring process wasn't "fill out this one-page application" so im learning as i go here.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

the others in the list pay well but lol @ these

ya. when i was hired as a technical writer i got 42k a year, and that's considered a lot for a technical writer as usually they're freelance with all the fuckery that comes with that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

even embedded is web dev now - just need one guy to figure out how to shoehorn node.js onto a armv5 and then everyone else can just write JavaScript that executes so slowly there's a 10s lag between a button press and your IoT light bulb turning on!

i really enjoy our ceo yelling at us about performance all the time, meanwhile our frontend is some webforms monstrosity and it's like no poo poo everything is laggy to hell.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Eh, Apple passed on me. They wanted in-depth knowledge of Swift and IOS coming in, which I obviously can't provide since I don't work on those at all in my job. The hunt continues.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

argh, I loving hate LinkedIn. what a piece of poo poo site and app

They wouldn't let me delete old recommendations that weren't relevant to my current job/had my old name in them. I ended up just deleting my account since all I ever got from it were cold calls from help desk outsourcers asking for my deadname. Trash.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

maniacdevnull posted:

Keep like twenty k in the bank, coast on that if you need to

lmfao who the gently caress can save 20k? lmfao if you didnt sell your soul to fannie mae for the rest of time just to get into your 5th pick school for your worthless degree.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

thats a super good sign that your company will actually recognise individuals at that level without them managing people

it can also be a warning sign. we have "architect fellows" who are people who have been around 20+ years and they make the decisions on what technology we use. you all know what technology i work with. it can be a sign that the company sees rewarding loyalty as more important than promoting new ideas.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i have never in my entire life known what it's like for a family not to have every cent that comes in allocated to something. and thanks to my crippling student debt i proudly carry on that tradition.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
^^ i've only been a compooper programmer for like 15 months officially

JewKiller 3000 posted:

if you work as a developer and you can't save 20k then your expenses are too high, stop that

i know you're gonna say "uhh dude i don't make nearly as much money as you think i do" but that's because your company is loving you, not because the expectation is unreasonable

no, it's genuinely the nearly 75k in student debt i had to take on to go to school, on top of the debt i racked up to supplement my income from my 4 jobs in order to feed and house myself while in college. i went to a high school that had no expectations of people going to college so they didn't teach us any kind of skills in getting scholarships and my mom didn't graduate college until after me so i sure didnt learn from her. im paying the price for trying to drag myself up without any real roadmap for how to do that. were finally in a place where we have a set end date for most of this debt, but its been a long time coming. it's not a $input problem, it's a "the past punishing me" problem.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ah alright that makes sense. well i'm glad you are in a better position now :) and soon your thoughts will be more like "lol who can save 20k? oh yeah, me, right now, gently caress yeah"

that's the plan. currently im just in chill mode until my free month-long european vacation paid for by the company, then if the official title+pay upgrade still hasnt happened its aggro-job-hunt time. my boss swears it's supposed to happen any day now though and he just needs to convince our new division manager since my team switched divisions. but i'll believe it when i see it pretty much.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

saving money is more important than paying debt

if something terrible happens, you can always stop servicing the debt, but you can't conjure savings from thin air.

do you know what minimum payments are? i ironically make too much money to get any of the reduced options on loans.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lmo isn't poor.

she's gainfully employed in a lucrative occupation

im functionally poor. sorry i came in to this with more baggage than you apparently did?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

can't remember his name now the magnets guy he's fairly high up in Facebook so I imagine the equity has treated him well

is that subjunctive? because he left facebook last year afaik but i didnt stalk him to find out what hes doing now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also how big can the minimum really be on $75k in debt?

at 9% interest, paying it off in 120 months, that works out to $950 a month.

it's across 4 loans and it's also the personal loan i took out to consolidate all the credit cards i racked up feeding myself for 5 years of college. even working 4 jobs it was really hard to make rent, pay my bills, eat, and go to school :(

we really are trying to save, it's just hard to balance with keeping up with everything else. this is the first year we've had net savings but it's not really long-term savings since we need about 40k total for both IVF and GCS since our health insurance won't cover it. the price of being a queer in the us of a.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cold on a Cob posted:

ivf = in vitro fertilization?

what's gcs?

gender confirmation surgery: aka the thing i have to get so my lovely state won't send me to a men's jail if i'm ever in trouble.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

triple sulk posted:

zero, not a good culture fit

i think the management is white

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
just applied for a job for which i hit maybe half the qualifications. people tell me 50% isn't that bad, is that true?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

yup. if you know nothing about the position it's worth sending it out if you maybe kind of meet the description and hit 25% or the requirements. worst thing that'll happen is a practice interview that you bomb.

if it's a referral then ignore the listing entirely because they wouldn't be referring you if you didn't qualify

it's a goon referral. the poo poo i didn't know was hadoop, map-reduce, and python. i checked all the other boxes. i know what hadoop/map-reduce are so i assume i could probably pick it up. the challenge is really in how you apply them anyway.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

download the vm from cloudera and go through their tutorial using it https://www.cloudera.com/developers/get-started-with-hadoop-tutorial.html

thanks for this. i'll check it out. we use hadoop internally im pretty sure so its a skill that i could use to transfer to another team even if i don't score a sweet new gig.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
meanwhile final approval for my transfer is now sitting in front of the president of the company so i am now completely powerless to harass anyone to move things along. it is really hard to be productive when your fate is literally in somebody else's hands.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fart simpson posted:

you have to have the president of the company personally sign off on a department transfer?

this place is insane. the president of the company signs off on literally everything that affects budget. he had to personally sign off on all my tuition reimbursements too. there's 10,000 people here but they still act like it's a 100 person company.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fart simpson posted:

it seems like in a company as big as epic he wouldnt have time to do anything else, in which case he would basically just be a finance controller???

yet apparently he has time to fly all over the place doing business things. basically epic started as just the CEO, and then she hired the President to help her with the programming. 35 years later they are still the CEO and president and all the management directly under them are also people from the early years when it was a <100 people company. they seem completely unwilling to adapt to the fact that they're now an enormous corporate giant and it will probably catch up to them eventually.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

this morning's phone call:

recruiter: so we have this online tool to start with. I can send you a link and you have 24 hours to do it.

me: I don't know when I'll have free time, why is it only 24 hours?

rec: because that's what our system does

me: why?

rec: because we don't want you sharing that link. I can send it to you any day you want, let me know and I'll set a reminder to send it that morning.

red flag

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lancemantis posted:

being a small cog on an everything/nothing project in a large org can suck pretty hard too; imagine being responsible for everything and having layer upon layer of bureaucracy creeping scope on you constantly

this is a pretty picture of me you painted

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
we're private and closely held so instead of stock we get "stock appreciation rights" which the board gets to set the value of arbitrarily. and they take like 2 years to vest. i have like 10000 of them and if i waited the full 2 years theyd be worth like 16k according to the current valuation. its totally worthless as an incentive to stay for the long haul.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dislike button posted:

i have a family friend who was in this situation, except the company was eventually sold then went public and he quit and built a $4 million dollar lake house

if we ever got bought (unlikely) my appreciation rights would probably be instantly worthless as they're not real shares. its basically scrip pegged to an arbitrary "appreciation" in our private stock value as set by the board.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

so what happens if you give a terrible but technically correct answer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiiWOh9f9l0

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zen death robot posted:

it's because you're a fundamentally lovely person

you need to post more

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

is there like some intended super clever solution to string reversal or do they seriously just want to know if you can iterate over something backwards? i see people mention this as an interview question way too often and my irl answer would be like "what platform? how is the string represented internally and what APIs are available to examine it?" and so on. or does the question just also assume that you automatically go to c strings?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i mean, i could see myself loving up remembering how to get the string's length in c because i dont do it much, but assuming they'll accept "given the length i would do this" that's pretty easy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

big scary monsters posted:

today we visited a windfarm and she really hated it, the noise of the blades was too much for her i think. cool place to walk around without a dog though, those turbines are really loving big and it's a seriously bizarre landscape to be in

i had to give her lots of reassuring tummy rubs when we got back to the car

what kind of doggie? i have a pit bull and he becomes scared shitless around anything louder than a desk fan. we have to desensitize him to things one-by-one by playing with his favorite toys for hours around scary things. otherwise he barks and hides behind your legs. lol@anyone who is afraid of pitbulls, you just have to like show it a pile of leaves that wasn't there yesterday and it will be terrified.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

raminasi posted:

apparently some of my coworkers rejected a prospective hire's code test because it used static classes

just blanket like that? just straight up "static classes are bad, we pass"? ugh.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

static classes are super useful in specific contexts tho

Yeah. For example the Math class in java.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i have a phone interview with a different division in apple coming up. this one's for a senior position so i am hecka nervous. most of the requirements i either had or could easily learn though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

is it phone only or is there a computer involved?

phone only. this is an initial interview only i would assume.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

poty posted:

i can be your jonny ive hit me up on linkedin

i don't have a linkedin because of stalkers lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
fyi, yoga pants are actually significantly warmer than jeans in the winter. women's denim is super thing compared to men's stuff but most yoga pants (lulu aside) are decently thick. it's all anyone wears in the winter around here. if u gents arent ashamed of ur junk u should try them on because they are comfortable as gently caress too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

echinopsis posted:

im not ashamed of my junk but people look at you weird and what if they wanted to have sex before but now they are put off? i dont want to be the kind of person who is picky enough to sleep with people who only like me because of my personality

so is it like tumorous or weird shaped or what, dont leave me hanging bro

• Locked thread