Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I got hair tested for my internship and it was almost exactly 90 days after I stopped hanging out with the college friends I would usually smoke with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

:agreed:

lol that this is normal in the USA

Well, we have racial minorities that we need to keep unemployed.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

:rip: just got rejected

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Gazpacho posted:

whats so demeaning about it, most people piss every day and those who don't should see a doctor. what does it matter if it gets tested

god help you and your tender sensibilities if you ever have a procedure that requires you to wear a foley catheter for any amount of time

It's less about the piss and more about it being collected and tested and it having very little to do with your ability to perform a job.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Arcsech posted:

sucks

keep interviewing tho

the worst part about it was the feedback of "they're looking for someone with more positive software engineering experience"

I'm beating myself up because I talked way more about the hardest stuff I've worked on and about how I managed chaotic environments (with carefully chosen language) which definitely still sounded like me being incompetent/blaming people

feels like if I only talked about the easy poo poo I've done that worked right away it would have been a yes

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rex-Goliath posted:

you're an intern no one expects poo poo from you

To add to this, my first manager at my internship tried to blame me for not being able to do a huge part of the project he was in charge of.

Nothing happened to me and that was probably part of the reason they made him not a manager.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rex-Goliath posted:

lmao imagine your life falling apart so thoroughly that you try to blame an intern for anything beyond the coffee pot being empty

I should also add that I was literally the only software guy on the project. My manager was a mechanical engineer with a masters degree and he tried to blame the kid halfway through college.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Java, C, and C++ are my strongest languages. How likely is it that an employer would say that's good enough for an entry-level C# gig?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

John Big Booty posted:

How much experience do you have with react dot js?

It's at this point that I insert the drill into my eyesocket

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I may have bombed my last interview but apparently my resume is good or no one else is applying to the positions I'm applying for because I keep getting replies within like a day or two. A place within walking distance of my apartment wants to do a phone screen/interview.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Decided to apply to the FBI because why not? They have an office about 5 blocks from my apartment.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

It's a computer science position, not field agent. I'm not that serious about it, just thought I'd apply.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Which is why I'm not seriously considering actually trying to get an FBI job. The position is like 5 blocks from my apartment so I figured I might was well take 15 minutes and fill out an application, you never know.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I should add that it's like 1 of 10 other places I talked to at a job fair so it's not like I went out looking for FBI openings.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

At a job fair:
*Company Booth Guy with Enlightened Galaxy Brain*: "We do billions in revenue a year but we've still got that FAST-PACED BUT CASUAL STARTUP CULTURE."
*Me, Small Brain while Gritting Teeth": "Thank you for the info, I'll keep your company in mind."

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Had a 2 hour interview today where I was interviewed by 3 different people.

The first guy was a technical interview and he said my answers were "impressive". That's despite the fact that one of the first questions he asked me was what a base class was in object-oriented programming and I said I wasn't familiar with the concept. He game me a blank stare and then 5 seconds later my mind block cleared and I answered the question. I felt like an idiot, I just usually use "parent" and "child" when talking about inheritance.

Second guy was older and asked me more cultural stuff. He had only been there for a month but was by far my favorite interviewer and seemed like a really cool guy.

Last guy was an alumni from my school from like 15 years ago and asked me a bunch of questions about Scrum and decision making.

Feeling pretty good about this one, especially after my last interview that was a disaster.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

be...free post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Saved from the shadow realm:

Had a 2 hour interview today where I was interviewed by 3 different people.

The first guy was a technical interview and he said my answers were "impressive". That's despite the fact that one of the first questions he asked me was what a base class was in object-oriented programming and I said I wasn't familiar with the concept. He game me a blank stare and then 5 seconds later my mind block cleared and I answered the question. I felt like an idiot, I just usually use "parent" and "child" when talking about inheritance.

Second guy was older and asked me more cultural stuff. He had only been there for a month but was by far my favorite interviewer and seemed like a really cool guy.

Last guy was an alumni from my school from like 15 years ago and asked me a bunch of questions about Scrum and decision making.

Feeling pretty good about this one, especially after my last interview that was a disaster.

• Locked thread