Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
actually, interviewing and job hunting owns because it's the best way to get a 40% salary bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would rather be waterboarded than whiteboarded

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
nah, amazon deserves to be shamed for treating people like that and it is the responsibility of people who go through those experiences to let the world know that amazon's HR practices can suck a dick

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

lancemantis posted:

yeah id believe that

also lol @ "rampant tech job applicant cheating", its almost as toxic as the "we have to drug screen welfare recipients" attitude

i don't think it's rampant but it does happen. it happened to me: we had a contractor who gave us a fake resume and then (because the interview was remote) had someone else do the interview. the room was dark and you know, they looked similar enough that no one noticed he was a different person.

things got weird on his first day when he didnt know what a text editor was. within a week he'd admitted to me that he'd faked the whole interview process and then he got canned. it was weird.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Gazpacho posted:

you're thinking about catching one cheater in one interview. A company of Amazon's size has to catch them out of thousands

but it's at the cost of screening out all of the interviewees with self esteem

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

lovely handwriting plus totally different from my normal work environment rendering me much less capable, mostly.

love em for block diagrams tho

yeah.

also massive performance anxiety.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
So, aside from being really unethical, couldn't you have your friend pose as some major employer "following up on a reference" in order to scare your boss into giving you a raise?

"what? google said they wouldn't consult my references until I told them I was interested, this is so unprofessional."

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if only I had someone to pose as the employer

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i already told him the real thing that happened so too late for that whelp.

sucks too because it sounds like the perfect job for me. it's a hybrid dev/educator role where i would be developing playground environments and documentation that other devs use to learn apple products. its like a perfect synthesis of everything ive done since i got into tech. i really, really hope hes still willing to talk to me.

I really wouldn't sweat this one very much, it's not a big deal.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qirex posted:

after my holiday break I have 2 phone interviews next week

i got a phone interview tomorrow im excited about doing golang stuff for a recently ipo'd company which sounds like a good middle ground between corporate and startup but maybe it's bad for some reason

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
welp, that phone interview went about as well as it can possibly go

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

vodkat posted:

A good friends brother, who is probably the best programmer I have ever met, currently works for amazon and he seems to find it ok, but he works for their bluesky/skynet research lab or something, so your millage may vary considerably.

yeah, one of my best friends growing up seems to like working there because he's been there for years, and he even brought his dad on as an engineer as well.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wrong thread

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have a second interview next week and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get owned by algorithms

which is a shame because i hit it off pretty well with their vp of engineering and would really enjoy + be qualified for the position

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 13, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

lol if you don't maintain a spreadsheet of colleagues that you would go poaching given the opportunity

it's called yosopos.xls

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm a log(10x) programmer

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am so loving nervous about this interview today it's stupid

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Progressive JPEG posted:

You could always just tell yourself you're destroying them from the inside

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i am so loving nervous about this interview today it's stupid

i nailed it to the wall

go get those figgies, friends

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

jre posted:

Offer ?

not yet but if i don't get an offer i can safely chalk it up to job demons instead of the fact that i embarrassed myself in the interview

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

PokeJoe posted:

are you leaving alabama or w/e you went

yeah, im only looking at jobs that would require relocation, although this job is in az which is worse than nc, imho

it would be a gigantic step up career wise though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

triple sulk posted:

phoenix is great if you love driving a half hour to get anywhere

yeah it looks like my least favorite kind of place. i got good fam there though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

carry on then posted:

it's insanely good from october to may

where at in az

phoenix!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

carry on then posted:

hmm, where in the city? it could make the difference between being a good or bad experience

well the company is in tempe, which i assume is balls

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

carry on then posted:

nah, tempe is pretty good, much better density of "stuff to do" than the surrounding burbs. plus you're not far from downtown phx or old town scottsdale

cool, that's good to know. i was very dispirited looking at housing and seeing nothing but McHouses and Condos, but that probably can't be helped.

How is the Mexican food? this is important.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

carry on then posted:

god forbid i try to use my knowledge to help someone avoid the worst of it

i appreciate your help, friend

i don't need to love the location, i just need to be able to tolerate it for a few years. i am very career oriented currently and that's why I came to the south, and (will, if given the right offer) move to AZ.

endless suburbs is very bad, however. is there at least a neighborhood with a lot of hipsters?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

phoenix seems like a weird place to go for career reasons

what is your line of work?

I'm currently a "full stack" ruby-dev who is very uninterested in being a ruby developer. this position would be more focused on systems engineering, not frontend, and would not involve ruby. i'd be jumping up two levels of seniority and increasing my pay by (potentially, based on the number I gave them) 50%. More realistically 30%.

Also I'd be in a position where I'd be solving actual engineering problems instead of just trying to cram business nonsense into a crud layer. i realize that i'm probably imagining the job is cooler than it will be in reality, but it's absolutely going to be a big step up.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 19, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
talked to the internal recruiter: i may not have to move to tempe, they may just have me go out and stay there for a month while I onboard. that would megaown

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ahmeni posted:

*kicks down the door* hello INSERT NAME HERE! didn't read anything but I have a wonderful opportunity for a position half your current salary in a language you used once 7 years ago. Benefits include: a desk, a ping pong table needlessly close to said desk. Remote working is forbidden because the CTO believes in ghosts. Please send me your CV so I may pretend to have read it in our interview. If this position is not for you, feel free to ruin your relationships by forwarding it to your colleagues.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rt4 posted:

in what sector do dolphins most often find employment as programmers?

fintech

pod programming

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I have an interview tomorrow and I definitely don't have any clothes to interview in.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my linked in used to say that my title was 'computer whisperer'

I get far fewer profile views now that I've changed it to something professional

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have two offers plus a major award and raise at current job (which i like )

dunno what to do

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

first decide if you want to stay or move. why did you look for a job in the first place? more money doesn't fix problems, it just lets you ignore them for a while (unless the problem was not enough money). if you stay, will you be fed up and looking for another job a year from now?

thanks for this.

1) Option one is to stay where Iam. I'm really happy with my current job in many ways. I love love love my team and really like my boss. But it's a large corporation and I"m going kinda crazy with the slow pace and bureaucracy of it. I'm also underpaid, although that's changed after this recent raise. I don't feel under appreciated or over worked; I'm just bored.

2) Option two is totally ideal in every way, but it's in AZ. I thought they were gonna let me work from another office (Boston, Seattle) but they changed their mind. I turned this one down.

3) Option three is a tiny startup locally. Would be a big raise, and I'd be in a position to influence decisions. Would be working in Scala, which would keep me interested even though it's a horror show. Would also give me real world experience working in a functional lang, which is something I really want. I really liked the team, and I'd be working with much more talented people than I am currently. Which means something, honestly.

I'm totally torn between staying where I am and leaving. I think leaving is the right choice, because my apathy and general frustration with working for a corporation isn't going to go away just because I've gotten a big raise. It's gonna break my boss' heart though, and mine a little.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 28, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

St Evan Echoes posted:

it sounds obvious that you want to do option 3 but you're comfortable enough to make the Bad Decision of staying put

yeah, really starting to feel that way. i think imna make the good decision.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
thanks thread, I knew I posted for a reason

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

idk how much of this you've disclosed to your boss so far, but yeah the first convo about leaving will sting

but there's no reason to burn the bridge, no reason you can't remain friends and committed to helping each other through the industry. my first manager left the company 6 months after I joined. 3 years later I was working for him again. since you're staying local and if your relationship allows, seriously try to keep up contact and use him as a mentor

The Management posted:

anyone who isn't an rear end in a top hat will understand you leaving for other opportunities and not hold it against you, even if they're sad to lose you. people who don't know you (hr, higher level management) are much more likely to be assholes about it than people you know.

yeah, the bridge definitely wont be burnt. we're friends and he'll understand my decision. i'm bored; he can't invent unboring work for me, even if he wants to.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm the indirector in chief i make the big bugs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah if they ask I just lie and tell them desired salary + some percent for negotiating down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would rather do 8 hours of programming assignments than spend any amount of time being interviewed

• Locked thread