Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

my github and my resume (and references) all illustrate i know how to write the computer codez p decently, like you can just go look at real actual code i've written
I interviewed someone who listed their github account. It was 3 repositories, mostly copy/pasted HTML files, and no modifications. Why would anyone put that on their resume? If he'd been slightly more competent then he would have at least copied some real code, so a superficial look would have convinced an interviewer that he could code.

I also did a coding screen for someone who listed absolutely no languages on their resume. And hey hey, they couldn't code at all. No idea how they got past the recruiter.

I recall reading somewhere (possibly here) that being able to complete FizzBuzz puts you in the top quartile of candidates. I can believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
While conducting an Ops interview I mentioned that we were converting to systemd, and the candidate clenched his teeth and said "I have very strong opinions about systemd". He could barely contain his rage.

That's a huge red flag to me; I get that people can get fanboy/anti-fanboy about various tools and languages, but the business needs someone who can deal with whatever is thrown at them. You go to war with the army you have, not the army you want. We don't want someone who'll just whine and complain that they have to use X, or will spend half their time trying to convince everyone that X is good/bad.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

hello my name is biker mcwarmweather and i will be your new office neighbor :barf:

I had 2 office workers who unconsciously hummed or whistled while they worked. People would ask them to stop and they'd get all embarrassed, but then they'd eventually start up again because they weren't aware they were doing it.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

lancemantis posted:

isn't this basically zuck/sandberg/etc?
Yeah, zuck and sandberg both have regular desks in amongst regular developers, and they never ever use them because they spend 100% of the time in their own glass-walled meeting rooms.

Zuck also has a conspicuous stack of important-sounding books on his desk that he's supposedly currently reading, and yet the stack never seems to change.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Sapozhnik posted:

i got my green card :toot:

congratulations, you may have to carry around a picture of Donald Trump in your wallet for the next 5 years. Look on the back, just above the "If found drop in any mailbox" message is a tiny set of 45 circles, each containing a portrait of the presidents.

My friend got his a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to get one from the old stock that didn't have Donnie on it yet.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

qhat posted:

Unless of course you propose things in a deliberately abrasive way, in which case you are the bad person.
I've seen people do this unintentionally. Sometimes it's just a self-awareness thing:
- colleague who used to rubber-duck in meetings, which made him sound unnecessarily authoritative and completely clueless.
- guy who insisted on arguing when he wasn't sure of the point he was trying to make.
- another guy who blurted out his thoughts as soon as they came into his head, interrupting and talking over other people.
- yet another guy who had trouble communicating his point so he'd just repeat himself endlessly, frustrating everyone else.

That said, a good boss would recognize these types of people and de-escalate. Yelling at someone is a bad sign.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
By contrast, the Facebook recruiter I talked with could chat at length about Linux's initrd mechanism.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
Doing IT work for the FBI is pretty easy, anytime anything goes wrong they just cut the power.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

qirex posted:

anyone been through linkedin's recruiting process for devs?

Hehe, I'm about to. I went through their recruiting process to be an SRE and got an offer out of it, but later on decided that being an SRE wasn't for me. So I decided to go for a Dev role and I'm schedule to go through it all again in a couple of weeks.

The schedule looks to be pretty similar to what Google/Facebook do: 5 interviews covering various aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

tech screened a mid-20's guy today for a dev position... he was so far up his own rear end in a top hat it was like, and im not exaggerating here, interviewing donald loving trump
I hate selling myself in interviews, because I feel there's a fine line between

"I did [significant achievement]" :geno:

and

"I did [significant achievement]" :smug:

As an interviewer I think it's also important to know that line exists, and to at least be charitable when socially awkward people in a nervous situation stumble across it.

(Not that I'm not suggesting your judgement was incorrect)

quote:

and he just fuckin' rambled on and on with no focus the entire fuckin time.
Again, sometimes people get nervous in interviews and do this. I'm nervous that I do it, which compounds the problem :(

• Locked thread