Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ive never been fizzboed tbh, somehow everyone who interviews or recruits me has more imagination than that

well except thoes two startup guys who spent the whole hour asking me "so what have you been doing lately"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

ive never been fizzboed tbh, somehow everyone who interviews or recruits me has more imagination than that

well except thoes two startup guys who spent the whole hour asking me "so what have you been doing lately"
then after the interview they sent me an e-mail that just said LIAR

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pleawe for gods sake screen webdev candidates for an understanding of callbacks

i maintain a commercial product that includes a web page javascript file. since it does useful things, it depends on callbacks. half the integration failures are from customers who can't spell callback much less register one

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

amazon suuuuuucks do not work for them or normalize their hiring process

lancemantis posted:

whats the lovely toxic aspect of theirs?
lying

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
is it evens possible to screen webdevs javascript skills seeing as 90% of people who write javascript code don't even know or care that they're using javascript vs fart.js

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
btw those amazon proctoring rules seem p reasonable to me, the guy who wrote the page has an attitude that tends to prolong unemployment

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

qntm posted:

handing control of your computer to a third party by installing their software on it seems reasonable to you?
so that candidates can't cheat for the 60 minutes of a test? sure

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's not a question of hte process being bad, rather that amazon is a huge company and thus is a target for scoundrels

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

St Evan Echoes posted:

just have a separate laptop open for cheating, duh
GL pulling that off on camera

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
*opens email editor* dear conhugeco hr recruiter, even though I sent you guys a resume with my PII on it I've been reading some richard stallman essays and suddenly I feel like fighting the system. Will you please bend your early hiring process to my whims? Signed, berkeley bozo *hits send*

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

amazon is a prestigious cubicle farm you should be so honored to submit to their inspection
Their money is green

The_Franz posted:

it seems that everyone who has ever worked at amazon says that it's a horrible meat-grinder company whether you are in corporate or packing boxes in a warehouse, so running people off early is doing them a favor.
As many here know I've worked there and it is all of that and nobody should ever take a job there imo. otoh the problem of tech candidate cheating is way broader than amazon and their defensiveness against it is not what's wrong with the company

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 9, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

yeah id believe that

also lol @ "rampant tech job applicant cheating", its almost as toxic as the "we have to drug screen welfare recipients" attitude
more like lol if you've never heard candidates read an answer off a web site

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

and lol if you didn't

a) call them out on it
b) just not hire them or even just wrap up that interview early

nope lets just take the passive-aggressive nerd option and just subject candidates, already anxious due to this being an interview and everything, to a panopticon that is probably as measurable in effectiveness as online advertising
you're thinking about catching one cheater in one interview. A company of Amazon's size has to catch them out of thousands

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the kind of self esteem that asks for money while refusing to prove itself, should be screened out

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if panty-wearing is specifically what the company is hiring people to do, sure go ahead

if programming is what the company is hiring people to do, then candidates shall prove that they can program

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

BONGHITZ posted:

jobs are for normal people
so not autodidacts

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

big scary monsters posted:

that's because computer science has almost nothing to do with coding and barely anything to do with computers. unfortunately most universities conflate cs, which is really a branch of mathematics, with computing and software development
this is a stupid old meme that could only be believed by someone who hasn't looked at a CS degree curriculum since the 80s

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The "CS is math and not computers" saw comes from looking at university CS programs in their most immature phase, when they really were just some random math courses thrown together for conveniences sake, and drawing the bizarre conclusion that that is what CS should always aspire to be

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The CS department where I did undergrad was under the control of math faculty for decades and sucked as a result, only when it was transferred to the engineering school did it gain accreditation and start to deliver on its promises (eg in the compilers course students wrote a compiler and not an email parser)

e: of course the program still teaches mathematical theory, as accreditation requires and as it should, because the goal is not to unleash hundreds of brute-force coders on the world

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 11, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

what did they mean 2^16 and 2^32? adding them? i don't get how that tests anything other than knowing middle school level math
Not adding them, knowing them from memory. Do you know the value limits of integer types or are you just going to overflow and give no fucks? There are jobs where that's useful to know.

e: "because it's the limit of integer types & therefore something to watch out for" is the correct reason btw, not the mere inevitability of arithmetic

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 11, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The constants are to be used but they're also to be understood

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
my worst trivia interview was for a java position, this unkempt fat dude came in for a session and asked me stuff like "is there a limit on the number of methods in a java class, if so what is it"

my answers were along the lines of "I don't know but if I ever got anywhere near it that would mean I was doing something terrible" which didn't impress him

no it wasn't a java tools dev position

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it means the interviewer is a peabrain

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
idk why people are so hung up on whiteboards, are you short or something

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
why do people always say to bring a copy of your resumay to the interview

also why do they never say why

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

worst parts of hft are probably that you might have to write c or verilog
p sure reading J is worse than either of those

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Btw bloody don't let "do what you :love:" horseshit hold you back, it's ok to have long term goals and press them when the opportunity presents, but on a small scale you should decide which of your proven skills right now have the potential to carry you in that direction _and_ get you a job now, and focus your resume accordingly

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 18, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
best to decline if there isn't someone over 40 on the interview loop

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Tatsujin posted:

what if the only over 40 is some SVP or C-level trying to read you
that still indicates some degree of adult supervision

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lol if you as a hired employee give a poo poo about your company's "mission" or "values"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
even if an interviewer had the answer ready, it would likely be the work of some PR committee tasked with putting a good face on "make money, dammit"

e.g. Amazon's "work hard, have fun, make history" which probably sounds better in the original German. or their "customer-centered company" which in practice means that management won't shield you from crazy customer demands

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the first is not a company mission though because it doesn't state the company's reason for existing in the first place

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 24, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ok i'll admit i do filter companies based on "mission," specifically whether their tech solves something that i can recognize as a problem. but i would have done that long before i showed up for an interview and "values" is just propaganda

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MrMoo posted:

These have worked well for showing off to HR,

i) What efforts do you extend in educational, humanitarian and general charitable aid? For example as a technology organisation do you promote the mission of Code.org?

ii) How do you promote health and fitness in the workplace? Do employees partake in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge or similar?
you are chasing after corporate fads my dude, i mean if you're just cynically tyring to impress HR maybe that will do it but i hope you don't believe in this stuff

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Honked posted:

i would like to contribute to this thread but i can't without sounding smug as gently caress

there are companies that don't suck and there are execs who are not assholes
but hr are always dicks

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there's health informatics jobs all over, not that you necessarily want one

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

the ability to work on a cloud from the ground up
what

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
working in amazon dev is not worth any amount

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Blinkz0rz posted:

is facebook bad to work for? a recruiter reached out and while i'll probably decline because it's a relocation and i don't want to move, i feel like it's worth keeping my name in their system if they don't suck
well you'll inevitably have to deal with big PHP code bases so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Leck posted:

for people who have relocated for a job, how did you go about looking for jobs in a new city without much of a network there? for some reason recruiters aren't banging down my door begging me to relocate like some people in this thread, so i might have to find a job myself <:mad:>
Use Indeed. Add a title line to your resume and change it to the title of each job you apply to. Keep a contact log.

When you do get a contact, respond to it promptly and eagerly.

• Locked thread