Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

you can always do what one of my excoworkers did and lobby hard for projects in areas you want to learn, half-complete them, and leave the company for the job you want, forcing everyone else to pick up your slack

Tatsujin posted:

my last job was sorta like this but it was an old supervisor hitting me up and going 'hey, do you want this job where you work 9-5 M-F, real benefits, and never get called outside of work?' haha later suckers

if any of the halfassed projects I started on were still there when you were im sorry but they should have been good and dead by then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

a good stand up shouldn't be more than "I'm working on x" with optionally "I'm blocked by y I'll talk to person n after stand up about it"

ours are mostly that excepting the one 10xer on our team (we don't want a 10xer nor do we expect him to 10x things because he just rushes through them and someone else has to do it over) who will say "I'm working on x and also y and also x and also a and b and..."

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

MrMoo posted:

ii) How do you promote health and fitness in the workplace? Do employees partake in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge or similar?

if some at my office ever again asks me to sign up for this I'm gonna cut someone

gently caress running forever, running sucks. why isn't there a J.P. Morgan bike a century fatass challenge

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

lol at benching

cardio every day *flicks clif bar wrapper at u on mile 70 of a daily ride*

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A BLOG INTO THE SLOT. IT’S 37 SIGNALS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JASON FRIED. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD.

ahem Jason's blog is called Signal v. Noise and the company is now known as Basecamp

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Maximo Roboto posted:

are there any u.s. cities with a lot of tech jobs besides SF/NY/LA/Seattle/ATX

Chicago has a healthy startup scene and a large fintech/healthtech base if that's your thing

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ugh I hate interviewing other people so much

and resumes even more

so we're hiring for my manager. I think the only person directly asked on my team if they want to be the manager was me and I said "lol no."

these resumes are SO BAD. one talks about how they rolled their own encryption and is full of the worst grammar mistakes and uses the word "liased". this one I'm looking at now has a huge half-page block of Skills that I just spent the last 10 minutes highlighting all the repeated things in. and they're both just loving :words: and over 2 pages long.

the delete key is cool and good. please use it on your resume. the less dumb poo poo you put on there the less time I'm going to angrily circle the incorrectly used apostrophe and grill you on why you rolled your own crypto back in 2002.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

spankmeister posted:

i would be your manager minivan, my resume is free of spelling and grammatical errors, and does not repeat anything.

if you're in/willing to move to chicago and know how to ops devs and reliable sites send me your drat resume and save me from reading another one of these

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

oh god this one lists "Waterfall" under Skills: Processes.

I just highlighted it and wrote "why. why why why." next to it.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Management" post="468534370"]
I'm trying something new with my resumé. instead of a list of accomplishments, each job details section reads like a paragraph. it's actually longer but easier to read and hopefully not terribly boring.
[/quote]

is it more than a page?

yes: try again

no: ok thanks

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I've only had a post-interview test once and it was for a company where I had an outright abusive interview and I wasn't going to take the job if offered. I didn't get an offer which was kind of sad because I would have torn into the recruiter about how bad their interviews are

"why did you work for company x, then y and z?"

"I enjoyed y and z, they were okay places with great people"

"I'm not here to stroke your ego, those places are terrible. why have you made so many terrible life decisions?"

I'm pretty sure I called this guy an rear end in a top hat to his face during this

we have programming tests too but they're sent beforehand and you have days to complete them at your own pace.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

I've got to prepare a detailed self evaluation for a promotion opportunity and it is way more frustrating than any other work I actually do

Maybe I should practice my vanity somewhere.

god I hate self evaluation time

me, filling out the form: "I do the thing ok I guess"
my boss, filling out the form: "minivanmegafun exemplifies what needs to be done for the thing and is a great influence on how to do the thing to people around him and blah blah blah"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I got this email today

I'm very confused.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Iverron posted:

I did some work for these guys once. Wasn't a fan.

i'm not a doctor or nurse and i've never worked anywhere near medtech so getting this was very much a :confused:

especially since it doesn't have an obvious "hey come work for us" and just a "uh we have a job fair this day" and was an entirely cold contact. i've never heard of this place before today.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

whats the latest youve ever gotten contacted about a resume drop on monster or wherever

its been about six months since my last profile update and the calls ive been getting have become increasingly desperate and unrelated to skillset

something like five years

careerbuilder doesn't use double-opt-in nor it is aware that periods are not significant in gmail addresses so some mail clerk out in DC registered with my email address

when I logged in to yell at them about it it apparently bumped my resume back to "active" and I immediately got a dozen calls

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

this is the sort of recruiter spam that made me aware of King of Prussia, PA

Munkeymon posted:

this is the sort of recruiter spam that made me aware of King of Prussia, PA

is there some tech presence there because this, too, is how I learned of King of Prussia

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

i get cold calls every day and nothing i can do stops them. for the love of god put a Google voice number on your resume

yep. google voice is great for recruiter jail (and hilarious transcriptions)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

lancemantis posted:

tbh I think I would want a Real Engineers office to be a serious environment

in fact in general I think i would prefer an evironment that takes itself somewhat seriously, minus dress codes because I can't be bothered with that anymore

i loved my company's old office. it was the boring cookie cutter turnkey "congrats on your lease here's an office" office with big cubes, tons of sound deadening, and acres of beige that we tried to spice up with a little paint. it was great and dead loving silent. we put sales off in their own corner with a big corridor of conference rooms in the middle so we couldn't hear them.

new office is "lol, we're a startup!" and is loud as hell and I hate it. i really love what I do but I'm seriously considering interviewing again just to find some quiet again. a couple couches and a weird rope sculpture thing doesn't a sound barrier make. it's gotten so bad that sales can't hear themselves on the phone anymore and are leaking over into the engineering side seeking quiet while making calls. apparently we're finally going to invest in some sound deadening because our customers can't hear us anymore.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

thanks to my bose qc35s idgaf whether i work in a cube or open plan hell or w/e

nope they're not enough for my office

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my company is small-ish and does that too, I don't necessarily think im any better at my job than my peers but I have a bunch of qualifiers on my title which I presume maps to my salary band

or maybe it's just imposter syndrome :ohdear:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

totally dumb question: should i even bother getting my bachelors? I have some dumb 2year AAS in Network Security which was mostly noise about ad in windows server 2003 which has literally zero to do with my six-figure SRE gig I have now

i have enough credits to have a junior standing at u-Wisconsin when I dropped out to move back to chicago

i think at this point it's probably personal achievement more than anything

I'll probably go to u-illinois Chicago if I do go back

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

will work pay for it

no. if they did I'd do it just because free money

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the coo at the first place I worked was fired

he then wrote a book about divvying up equity at the company in question and lol I didn't get poo poo at that place and I was paid garbage

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Elephants.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

not even complete teetotalers would put up with that

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

i walk to work :smugbert:

i bike to work

the parking lot is underground so there's no point in trying to show off your dumb car because no one can see it; also you're just advertising that you're dumb enough to spend $350/mo on parking

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

If you're dumb enough to drive to work in NYC without it being expensable then probably.

downtown chicago actually, and i'd be paying the skyscraper i work in not my own employer

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The Management posted:

do you also pay the rent for your office?

no, because my employer expects me to be there

they don't expect me to commute by car, that's just stupid.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

anything bigger than like a minivan should need special permits to drive in downtown areas.

mega agreedo'd

my building was making the bike room larger this past weekend and switching from key to a keycard lock, im excited to see what it looks like on Monday (though it's supposed to rain all week so I guess I'll take the train that also is still only a 20 minute commute :sigh: what a bother)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

:yeah: we have a tune-up station too! i carry a bike multitool everywhere but it's still nice to have

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

if you cant make it to an 8 am interview you are unprofessional and dont deserve to be hired

The Management posted:

I can, I don't want to. I'm usually up at 6. I still don't roll into work until 10:30 because I enjoy my morning.
same

don't get me wrong, I'll probably still show up for the interview, but im gonna judge your place really heavily on how many people are in the office at 8:00 am because it had better be fuckin close to zero

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

100% raise

this and still keep looking that place is doomed

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my favorite rejection letter story:

i was working at some place and their internal recruiter just pinged one of my friends out of the blue. he asked me "hey should I work there" and I went "nah it's not that great, don't move here unless you really hate where you are" so he emails back to the recruiter a "thanks but no thanks"

four weeks later he opens his mailbox and finds a rejection letter for a job he didn't even apply for :stare:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

yeah i think the r/relationship thread in gbs bought that one

I believe that's correct, along with :murder:

the fact that they can be applied to abusive relationships and abusive employers is uh something.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

my company just sent me on a month-long vacation they paid travel expenses for and all it did was give me enough time to come out of the fog of misery and realize it was my job that was doing that to me, lol. i spent my week slinging resumes around chicago and im going to do more this weekend.

hey if u have experience in sre/java or python backend dev/whatever bullshit is involved with frontend send me a pm, I'm aiming to stack recruitment bonuses and i work for a not garbage place in the loop

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

generally this but our team is cloud focused rather than working on build systems.

the problem is not people interviewing and going elsewhere it's that the senior devops community is tiny and most people like their job and aren't interested in moving.

it's very much this. we also have a great rep and a great office and good compensation but we have a hell of a time finding senior SREs. at least once hired they stay put.

we've more or less thrown our hands up and decided we can train juniors up, but finding good junior devops people is hard too!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm working for one of the rare places that grants unlimited vacation and gives you a funny look if you don't take PTO every quarter it's great

same. it's so drat weird. "are you taking enough time off this month? go schedule some more time off. it's nice outside, leave work early and ride your bike."

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

you cant wear jorts ever, have some self respect

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the only useful thing I've got out of a cold-calling recruiter is lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

RISCy Business posted:

hm, maybe i was lied to

can you confirm/deny my dodging a bullet though

it seemed like a cool company to work for so i was kinda :smith: at the time

as someone who spent a very small time in the Milwaukee/madison tech scene they're known universally for picking up fresh grads and burning them out

• Locked thread